Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 14th July 2005, 10:54   #1
BHPian

Default Audio system Help

I want one which can play CD and Cassette and FM/AM (Double Dean). He suggested several ones as follows. All prices are exclusive of speakers.

a. Sony - Rs 15,000
b. Pioneer - Rs 12,000
c. JVC - Rs 8,000

I want to know which is the best music system I should go for. My limit is 12,000 without speakers. Also please suggest me which speakers should I buy ? I do not need very high wattage. Just average ones. But the quality and clarity should be good.
shobhit15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2005, 12:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

have you seen the kenwood. honda offers it with their city.
i'd check out the specs not the price. look at RCA outs, how many, 2V, 4V? look at if they offer dolby B or dolby C for the tape, etc...
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2005, 12:42   #3
BHPian

What is the difference between Dolby B and Dolby C ? Which one is better ? What is RCA outs ???

Last edited by shobhit15 : 14th July 2005 at 12:56.
Old 14th July 2005, 13:31   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

oh this one's all yours Navin...
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2005, 16:03   #5
Team-BHP Support

thanks sam.....
simple answer...dolby is better, RCA out are outputs from your HU that are meant for "things" other than speakers. if all this does not make any difference get the Sony or Pio. connect 4 sensitive speakers (Sam will help you buy suitable JBLs) and your done.

complete answer....dont say I did not warn you.....
Dolby Noise Reduction systems are primarily used for tape. they both works the same way.

Dolby B is SUPPOSED to offer an reduction in noise by about 10db, Doby C 20db.

The way it works is when you record your tape (at home) you recod with Dolby encoding (your home deck has to have Dollby too). When you encode your tape with Dolby at home what Doby it boosts your High Frequency signals and then records the music with the high freq. boosted. When your car deck plays back this Dolby encoded signal the car deck Dolby decoder will reduce the high freq. signals and in doing so also reduce the tape noise. Thus you get less of that hiss you hear on tape.

Dolby C boosts the signal twice as much and reduces it also twice as much. Result is even less hiss.

Now all this works well if the Dolby tracking (the boosting and reducing) is spot on. This usually only happens when you use the same deck for recording and playback. So there is some ammount of mistracking that happens in the car. With Dolby C the mistracking can be twice as noticeable as the boost and cut are twice as much.

If you want to get crazy you can get your car deck calibrated to your home deck. I had sent my Alpine car deck to Denon (makers of my home decks) for this purpose. They also aligned the azimuth. I will leave Sam to explain Azimuth. :-)
Old 14th July 2005, 17:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Azimuth (alignment): - Degree of alignment between tape head and tape. Perfect azimuth alignment is when the tape head and the tape are both are making a perfect 100% contact with each other. When this is the case, alignment is said to be at it's "zenith", and it is exactly 90 degrees between the tape-head gap, and the longitudinal axis of the tape. Good azimuth alignment is vital to the sound quality produced by any kind of tape machine, with poor quality alignment, a tape machine will often sound muffled, and somewhat lacking in "top end". Poor azimuth alignment is largely responsible for the inferior sound quality produced by many cassette recorders.

There. What are white papers for anyways?? Copy+Paste.
Honestly, in a world where tapes cost more than CDs, why get a tape player at all??
Just buy a CD PLayer, add a changer if you like and Navin's Uncle is your Uncle.
Old 14th July 2005, 23:44   #7
BHPian

Shobhit, don't get me wrong but it is DIN, acronym for Deutscher Industrie Normannicus, and not Dean. It is a German standard.

Sam is right, why do you want to buy a tape player in this age of CDs.

Last edited by Vivekphadnis : 14th July 2005 at 23:46.
Vivekphadnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2005, 09:34   #8
BHPian

Its my Dad. He wants the tape player to listen to his collection of old songs and religious cassettes.
Old 15th July 2005, 12:29   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit15
Its my Dad. He wants the tape player to listen to his collection of old songs and religious cassettes.

a. Sony - Rs 15,000
b. Pioneer - Rs 12,000
c. JVC - Rs 8,000

Fair enough. Thats reason enough to buy a tape player, unless you have the patience to convert all his tapes to cd or (hallelujah) mp3!

I've heard that JVC double din and it's not nice. The Sony sounds like a good option. I'm assuming 15k is the cost with a bill and warranty, while the pioneer will be without. As everyone will tell you here, I always advocate buying electronics with a bill and warranty. I say buy the sony.

Cheers
Old 15th July 2005, 14:15   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Fair enough. Thats reason enough to buy a tape player, unless you have the patience to convert all his tapes to cd or (hallelujah) mp3!... I always advocate buying electronics with a bill and warranty. I say buy the sony.
Cheers
I'd get the sony too only becuase there is so much "duplicate" pioneer stuff around you never know what you are getting.

if you have the time you could convert the tape to wav and then to mp3. it is not that difficult. If I can do it anyone can. I did not even know what Mp3 was untill my nephew gifted my an Ipod (the small no display one). Your dad could then have his entire collection on a few CDs.
Old 20th July 2005, 14:18   #11
BHPian

If you are able to trust the guy from whom you are buying the Pioneer, go for the Pioneer. Otherwise get the Sony.
5u3zEr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 14:51   #12

How to recognise, if at all, an original Pioneer frm a duplicate one?
prasygreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2005, 15:09   #13
Team-BHP Support

I can't. that is way I stick to a brand that is less duplicated.

Most Authorised dealers wont sell (with bill and warranty) duplicate stuff but I dont know any Authorised Pioneer dealers.
Old 21st July 2005, 23:27   #14
BHPian

It may not be very accurate because people who duplicate electronics are very smart indeed. But when you see the soldering from the slits in the side, you will get an idea. Good (I mean really good wave soldered stuff for example) will show. Soldering on fakes may not be that good. I have bought cheap sets before I could afford expensive audio stuff and one can clearly see cold soldering work.
See the components inside, again through the slits. If you see the transistor/IC numbers in very good, clear distinct letters/numbers they could be good stuff.
Then the tracks on the PCB and the quality of the PCB itself.
These are just hints that could help you decide.
Navin, what do you think?
Vivekphadnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2005, 10:04   #15
Team-BHP Support

Vivek do the guys selling you the stuff let you dig that deep. I dont know I have never entertained them.