Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 16th September 2009, 17:46   #1
BHPian

Lightbulb Fabia rear speakers

Hi friends

I have been using Fabia TDI - Ambiente version for past 1.5 years. The stereo system is fine for me, but there are no speakers in the rear doors. These speakers come only in Elegance version of Fabia. I checked with the service guys "Marikar Engineers" of Trivandrum they were telling that genuine skoda speakers cannot be got (not in stock) and hence its better to fix any 14 inch speaker from some shop outside. Can someone advise me on this

1. Is it ok to go for other speakers (will the stereo system support it)
2. Which brand of speaker is best for rear door (approx price)
3. Will there already be provision for wiring an all (car warranty issue)
4. Which shop is best in Trivandrum (reliable) for this.

regards
fabiarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 01:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

14" speaker? Could you please check the size of the stock location once again?
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 01:39   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiarider View Post
fix any 14 inch speaker
Sir, your gonna have to expand the doors to fit that size in there

Anyways, you can try one of the JBL compos with an amp which gives amazing quality on the OE stereo, one of my friend has it in his Fabia, although he has all the 4 as JBL's.
CorsaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 01:47   #4
BHPian

There are speakers on the rear door but not connected in my 1.4 elegence. I have asked marikar to connect it but they said it come like that so that shouldnt try to connect it.
gonewithwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 13:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
Sir, your gonna have to expand the doors to fit that size in there

Anyways, you can try one of the JBL compos with an amp which gives amazing quality on the OE stereo, one of my friend has it in his Fabia, although he has all the 4 as JBL's.
Sorry, this one is 8 inch i thk.
JBL compos, how much it will cost? whether its available somewhere in trivandrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewithwind View Post
There are speakers on the rear door but not connected in my 1.4 elegence. I have asked marikar to connect it but they said it come like that so that shouldnt try to connect it.
Whats the logic behind keeping the speakers unconnected. Does that mean that fabia is designed with a 2 speaker option.
fabiarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 14:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I have asked marikar to connect it but they said it come like that so that shouldnt try to connect it.
Quote:
... Whats the logic behind keeping the speakers unconnected. Does that mean that fabia is designed with a 2 speaker option.
Someone somewhere didn't apply his mind! Nothing in a car is put in without the owner being allowed to use it. Manufacturers would have saved money by avoiding such items.
Old 17th September 2009, 15:38   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
14" speaker? Could you please check the size of the stock location once again?
14 cm more likely. 14cm = 5.25".

Quote:
1. Is it ok to go for other speakers (will the stereo system support it)
2. Which brand of speaker is best for rear door (approx price)
3. Will there already be provision for wiring an all (car warranty issue)
4. Which shop is best in Trivandrum (reliable) for this.
1. Yes. Most speakers will be supported by the OEM HU
2. Which brands of speaker have heard and liked?
3. Most oftne yes. Many cars come wired even if the speakers are not provided in either case wiring is not a big deal.

Quote:
I have asked marikar to connect it but they said it come like that so that shouldnt try to connect it.
Who ever told you that at MariKar knows nothing about audio and even less about salemanship! :-)

Quote:
Sorry, this one is 8 inch i thk.
JBL compos, how much it will cost?
Whats the logic behind keeping the speakers unconnected. Does that mean that fabia is designed with a 2 speaker option.
14cm is about 5.25". JBL GT5 coax will cost you about 3.5-4K per pair.

Many cars come wired but with no speakers installed. I have never seen a car that was OEMed with speakers that were not connected (by design). If there are speakers that are not connected I am pretty sure this is an accident.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 16:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Navin, 5.25" is 130mm or 13cm.
Old 17th September 2009, 20:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

When I had got my Fabia it din't have any rear speakers nor the provision of wiring was given.
One can fit upto 6.5" speakers in the rear doors.
Anyways I added the amps with the line output convertor and change the front comps and added rear 6.5" coaxial at the rear doors.
look for speakers with neo magnets or else magnets tend to touch the glass even with added spacers. Or add spacers about atleast an inch in size(thickness).
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 16:20   #10
BHPian

The only thing you need to make sure while selecting the speaker is the impedance range of your HU. It will be available in the HU rear end. Most HUs support impedance range from 4 OHM to 8 OHM. In that case go for a 4 OHM speaker set. JBL has good models.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 20:42   #11

Arrow Need help with fitting rear speakers.

Hi all,
My fabia 1.2 comes with a factory fitted music system and a pair of front speakers. I would like to add a pair of speakers in the rear and the car comes with provision for the same. I have the following questions for my fellow BHPians.
1) What is the size of rear speakers on the fabia?
2) JBL or Hertz?
3) Will I void the warranty if I fit the speakers?
4) The local mechanic guy advises a minimum power 2-channel amplifier for the rear speakers. Will that be necessary?
5) Is there any after-market music system available that would fit neatly into the dash-board space on my fabia, in case I chose to replace this factory-fitted music system? I think that's for now.
Thanks people. Keep revving and always, always buckle up.
Nvgtr6776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:30   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvgtr6776 View Post
1) What is the size of rear speakers on the fabia?
2) JBL or Hertz?
3) Will I void the warranty if I fit the speakers?
4) The local mechanic guy advises a minimum power 2-channel amplifier for the rear speakers. Will that be necessary?
5) Is there any after-market music system available that would fit neatly into the dash-board space on my fabia, in case I chose to replace this factory-fitted music system? I think that's for now.
Thanks people. Keep revving and always, always buckle up.
1. 14cm or 5.5" or so I'm told.
2. Listen to JBL, Hertz, Blaupunkt, Bull etc..and then decide.
3. No.
4. a basic 2 channel amp costs 3K a similar 4 ch. one costs 4.5K. For 6-7K you can get a pretty decent 4ch. I would suggest getting a 4 ch.
5. All modern car radios are either 1 DIN or 2 DIN. OEMs also use the same sizes. So while you might need a dash kit any radio will fit.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 18:41   #13
BHPian

Default Re: Fabia rear speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. 14cm or 5.5" or so I'm told.
2. Listen to JBL, Hertz, Blaupunkt, Bull etc..and then decide.
3. No.
4. a basic 2 channel amp costs 3K a similar 4 ch. one costs 4.5K. For 6-7K you can get a pretty decent 4ch. I would suggest getting a 4 ch.
5. All modern car radios are either 1 DIN or 2 DIN. OEMs also use the same sizes. So while you might need a dash kit any radio will fit.
@Navin bhai. Request your help. I'm in more or less the same situation.
1. What speaker size will fit into the door?
2. I am considering JBL GT5, 10cm. Would these be too small in size? They will be matched to the Pioneer DEH-4350UB Head Unit
3. Head Unit Fitting: Can you please suggest a reliable place to get this done in Bombay. I would like for them to use a harness and cut no wires.
Thank you
NevGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 18:46   #14

Smile Re: Fabia rear speakers

Hi everyone,

I got my Fabia ambient 1.2 last week. It does not have a head unit but has speakers alone in front doors and the A pillar.

I am not sure of the brand of the speakers came with the car. Can anyone suggest a good head unit and rear speakers for my fabia. I want good sound quality. If anyone has done the same for fabia and satisfied, please let me know the shop.

Thanks in advance,
Raja, Chennai
smrsraja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 19:07   #15
BHPian

Default Re: Fabia rear speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrsraja View Post
It does not have a head unit but has speakers alone in front doors and the A pillar.
You got to be kidding me! That's almost like "here's the car, but sorry we can't give you a steering wheel!"

Jokes apart. This is something I was considering for a while until I was warned by the dealer that any tampering of whatsoever with the electricals could void electrical warranty since VW AG is very particular about conditions. In the event, I'd like to install rear speakers, I'd have to buy the equipment and the authorized skoda dealership would do the install for me. I didn't want to let someone who probably is going to do the install like a DIY for the first time. Hence, let go and content with the OEM HU and FRONT comps.

But, I do not think it can allow anything more than a 5.25" in the doors if that's what you are plannings. But, having said that, the depth of the speaker matters too. SO you might have to adopt a TRIAL-and-ERROR method with a few selected brands after auditioning.
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote