Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2009, 08:13   #211
BHPian
 
shreyasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bang!
Posts: 652
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Congrats doc. Please do write a review about the 6x9s.
shreyasma is offline  
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:20   #212
Senior - BHPian
 
gigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,321
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Frank, honestly the boot job is not looking upto the mark.
looks more like a diy job.
where did you get the rear speakers installed?
why is the gap in between speaker and plywood, the plywood is also not neat. its not complimenting the setup.
different size amplifiers in different directions is also not giving a pleasing looks as far as installation is concerned. something is missing

Last edited by gigy : 2nd December 2009 at 09:22.
gigy is online now  
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:18   #213
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,503
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
My Headlights dim with the system at annoyingly high volumes, and that is normal,
A 1-1.5F cap will solve this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Some photos of the new stuff added.
The 6x9s look like they have been installed with some space around them.
navin is offline  
Old 2nd December 2009, 18:02   #214
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Hey Frank, so looks like this should satisfy you for a few more months.

The boot does not look as neat as some of the other B&T installs. e.g. Monochrome's Verna. But it probably does not matter as long as it sounds great.
Gilead is offline  
Old 2nd December 2009, 18:13   #215
BHPian
 
DocG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai - Singapore - Cali - Sydney - S.Korea
Posts: 870
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

A few questions and comments:

1) Congrats on the upgrade, I'm sure it's sounding better than before.
2) Why are there spacers for the 6X9s? Isn't the stock rear size 6X9?
3) The sub seems to come up to the midline of the boot, do you have any trouble accessing the spare tyre?
4) The boot looks extremely crowded and downmarket, with 3 amps, a set of crossovers, wires, and visible damping material at the back, and the huge sub filling up quite a bit of the boot.
5) The dull gray carpet takes away a lot from the exciting components that have gone into this car and gives it an overall drab look.
6) How much boot space can you actually use with the sub taking up so much space?
7) If you do use your boot to store some heavy items aren't you worried that it will damage your amps etc while being thrown around your boot?
My point is simple, your boot seems to have lost all practicality anyway, so why bother keeping it looking drab? Spice it up a bit.
And if your stand is that the music speaks for itself or you don't want flash or bling, then I feel that you're letting down the brilliant components that have been assembled into a brilliant ICE setup.

Last edited by DocG : 2nd December 2009 at 18:15.
DocG is offline  
Old 2nd December 2009, 19:24   #216
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
2) Why are there spacers for the 6X9s? Isn't the stock rear size 6X9?
No. Stock size is 5x7. If not for the spacers, metal would have to be cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
3) The sub seems to come up to the midline of the boot, do you have any trouble accessing the spare tyre?
No he doesn't. Do you have any better ideas for the sub enclosure, giving it the same operating volume and occupying lesser space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
4) The boot looks extremely crowded and downmarket, with 3 amps, a set of crossovers, wires, and visible damping material at the back, and the huge sub filling up quite a bit of the boot.
How can one help the fact that there are 3 amps and a huge sub? And what wires? They're running along the underside of the parcel shelf. Have any ideas how one can conceal that? Likewise with damping. The pics have been taken at an upward angle.

As for "downmarket", here's a really good example for you to go all out on your "I'm anal about perfection" thing.

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 1069
Size:  53.7 KB
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 1100
Size:  43.3 KB

Look familiar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
5) The dull gray carpet takes away a lot from the exciting components that have gone into this car and gives it an overall drab look.
Idea was to keep it stock. The car also came with "dull gray" carpet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
7) If you do use your boot to store some heavy items aren't you worried that it will damage your amps etc while being thrown around your boot?
My point is simple, your boot seems to have lost all practicality anyway, so why bother keeping it looking drab? Spice it up a bit.
And if your stand is that the music speaks for itself or you don't want flash or bling, then I feel that you're letting down the brilliant components that have been assembled into a brilliant ICE setup.
Of course he would be worried. Just like anyone else with an amplifier installed in the trunk. What kind of observation is that?

And the boot has not lost one bit of it's practicality. He can comfortably access the spare wheel. And, this is the most amount of luggage space that can be retained after installing so much gear.
Bass&Trouble is offline  
Old 2nd December 2009, 20:48   #217
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post



No he doesn't. Do you have any better ideas for the sub enclosure, giving it the same operating volume and occupying lesser space?
Just want to add here that I had suggested Frank an MDF enclosure with the required volume which would have taken more or less same amount of space. But, I guess It was ruled out for weight being the issue. But looks like there's already healthy weight in there.
Invinsible is offline  
Old 2nd December 2009, 20:53   #218
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,229 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
Congrats doc. Please do write a review about the 6x9s.
In some time Shreyas. Not heard them. They have played for less than an hour, so they might need some burning in.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Frank, honestly the boot job is not looking upto the mark.
looks more like a diy job.
thanks for the perfectly honest reply, Gigy. I like that you have brought this up. Just a request. I have taken a new set of pics today. The earlier ones were taken in a hurry. Have a look at them, and tell me how you find it now.


Quote:
where did you get the rear speakers installed?
at home. Ajay always does my installs at home since I have a fairly large compound where work can be done with peace of mind.
Quote:
why is the gap in between speaker and plywood, the plywood is also not neat. its not complimenting the setup.
I second that. The plywood is surely not up to the mark. But it's not visible. So I am ok with it.
Quote:
different size amplifiers in different directions is also not giving a pleasing looks as far as installation is concerned
that was one thing I was willing to live with. I mean, this is the best possible way to fit three amplifiers on the same board. I like the way the JBL amp is hidden behind the sub. Doesn't make too much of a difference from earlier. Have a look at the new photos.

Quote:
something is missing
3 Amplifiers, 1 MAMMOTH subwoofer and 2 coaxials. And STILL something is missing?



Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
A 1-1.5F cap will solve this issue.
For the time, a cap is not required. I am more of the IASCA kind than the DbDrag kind. So most of the times, a lot of power is kept in 'reserve'

Quote:
The 6x9s look like they have been installed with some space around.
you're right. they just look that way. the actual install doesn't indicate thus.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Hey Frank, so looks like this should satisfy you for a few more months.

The boot does not look as neat as some of the other B&T installs. e.g. Monochrome's Verna. But it probably does not matter as long as it sounds great.
Another honest reply. Thank you. It indeed sounds great, but from what I see in my boot, looks great too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
1) Congrats on the upgrade, I'm sure it's sounding better than before.
Thank you Girish.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
2) Why are there spacers for the 6X9s? Isn't the stock rear size 6X9?
5x7 is stock size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
3) The sub seems to come up to the midline of the boot, do you have any trouble accessing the spare tyre?
Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030760-.jpg

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030761-.jpg

Quote:
4) The boot looks extremely crowded and downmarket, with 3 amps, a set of crossovers, wires, and visible damping material at the back, and the huge sub filling up quite a bit of the boot.
Downmarket? How, my friend, HOW?

Damping material being visible was by choice. I am not planning to cover it up anyways.

Since when did the DLS RA20, Clarion DPX11551, JBL W12GTi and the JBL GT5-S644, alongwith one of the best looking XOvers (that I have seen, atleast) available start looking downmarket bro?

As for the sub 'filling up quite a bit of the boot,' here's some photographic evidence to show it doesnt.

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030756-.jpg
Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030731-.jpg

Quote:
5) The dull gray carpet takes away a lot from the exciting components that have gone into this car and gives it an overall drab look.
one man's staple diet is the other man's poison.
I like a stock look, and by the way the flash makes the 'drab' carpet look slightly different from what it looks. In fact, if seen in normal daylight, it's very easy to mistake the subwoofer enclosure for a stock fitment from Ford.


Quote:
6) How much boot space can you actually use with the sub taking up so much space?
SO much space? Where, DocG, where? I am flummoxed, and I am sure you will be too, on seeing how much boot space is available after the 'HUGE' sub is installed.

Quote:
7) If you do use your boot to store some heavy items aren't you worried that it will damage your amps etc while being thrown around your boot?
Even someone who owns a Desi Alpine amp in his boot will be worried about it's safety on storing 'heavy' items. What 'heavy' items are you talking about exactly? Sorry, I don't do narcotics. LOL

Quote:
My point is simple, your boot seems to have lost all practicality anyway, so why bother keeping it looking drab?
Who says??

Quote:
Spice it up a bit.
I can carry some chilli powder in the boot. That's the best I can do. I am NOT an LED and Plexiglass guy.


Quote:
And if your stand is that the music speaks for itself or you don't want flash or bling, then I feel that you're letting down the brilliant components that have been assembled into a brilliant ICE setup.
It's not my stand, or your's that matters, for that matter. Music DOES speak for itself. Not just in a car. Music is just like sex. Only the recipe is slightly different. You decide how you like it.

No one is here to say, "OH, no lights?? Awwww. You poor thing! Music is JUST not the same without flashing LEDS, painted fibre glass enclosures and GOLD all around!"

Sorry bro, it doesn't work this way. For me.

Besides, I am just a normal man. Where do poor people like me have opportunities like the great DocG, where a world class DJ comes and tunes his $150 head unit and extracts some 'AMAZING SQ' out of it.
[quote]


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
As for "downmarket", here's a really good example for you to go all out on your "I'm anal about perfection" thing.

Attachment 237944
Attachment 237945

Look familiar?
OMG. OMG. I have seen this somewhere Ajay!!


Quote:
Idea was to keep it stock. The car also came with "dull gray" carpet.
Good idea. Thank you.



Some more photos! Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030757-.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030732-.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030737-.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030738-.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030751-.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030750-.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030755-.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030758-.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1030733-.jpg  

frankmehta is offline  
Old 2nd December 2009, 21:06   #219
BHPian
 
DocG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai - Singapore - Cali - Sydney - S.Korea
Posts: 870
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
No. Stock size is 5x7. If not for the spacers, metal would have to be cut.
Thanks, I thought stock size was 6X9.


No he doesn't. Do you have any better ideas for the sub enclosure, giving it the same operating volume and occupying lesser space?
Wasn't attacking the enclosure, just asking if there were problems accessing the spare wheel.


How can one help the fact that there are 3 amps and a huge sub? And what wires? They're running along the underside of the parcel shelf. Have any ideas how one can conceal that? Likewise with damping. The pics have been taken at an upward angle.
Doesn't change the fact that it looks crowded. Many people travel by the mumbai local, they have to live with it, but that doesn't mean it's not crowded (Similar philosophy)


As for "downmarket", here's a really good example for you to go all out on your "I'm anal about perfection" thing.
Look familiar?
I agree that's the mounting of the midrange and tweeter in my car, it's not perfect, in fact the part I hate most about my install. I have a few ideas I need to execute when I get time (hopefully in 2010). Meanwhile if you have any ideas on how to integrate a 4" midrange and a 1.1" tweet in an Accord that will still retain sense of practicality, wont affect visibility and involves no drilling/cutting, I'd love to hear it. Oh and it shouldn't hinder the passenger airbag either. (Pillar pods were tried, majorly hindered visibility on drivers side)

Idea was to keep it stock. The car also came with "dull gray" carpet.
Of course he would be worried. Just like anyone else with an amplifier installed in the trunk. What kind of observation is that?
And the boot has not lost one bit of it's practicality. He can comfortably access the spare wheel. And, this is the most amount of luggage space that can be retained after installing so much gear.
My point was misunderstood.
1) All the carpet in cars today are drab according to me, I hate it!
2) Ok, so he's worried about keeping things in his boot.
3) He wants space to keep things in his boot
4) I'm very, very confused...
5) The question about the spare wheel as mentioned before is something I wanted to check as sometimes it goes neglected.
I don't get why what I posted was taken offensively! I had some genuine questions, and expressed my opinions, and that was responded to in a hostile manner...B&T I hope you read peoples' posts more carefully in the future, and correctly determine their tone.

A forum should be a place for constructive criticism, and if something good comes out of it, then that's the result we're hoping for.

EDIT: I just saw Frank's post:
1) Wow the boot actually looks huge now. The pics on the last page didn't convey this, thanks for posting these.
2) You're right, everyone has a different taste. No one asked you to ape another, but to develop your own.
3) I understand the stock look, but I feel such good ICE components are like a Ferrari, a Lamborghini, an Aston Martin etc. You develop expectations from each. They should look great, perform exceedingly well, be better than what "mere mortals" can own, and be shown in the right light. While the install pleases you, for which I'm happy, it's purely my opinion that they should be shown off in better light,
4) By crowded and downmarket what I meant was it looks like you've spent Rs 20K on the system opposed to the true lakhs that you have. While to some this may not be important, I stated my opinion. If I had a Lamborghini I wouldn't keep it parked at home under a cover that said Maruti, I'd drive it all over Mumbai! Doesn't make one a show off, it is what it is...
5) If you use the boot have you considered doing something (some form of barrier) to prevent damage to your equipment?

Please refrain from personal remarks over the forum, I couldn't be bothered how you felt about me personally, but would prefer not to be misquoted/misrepresented across a public forum.

Last edited by DocG : 2nd December 2009 at 21:24.
DocG is offline  
Old 2nd December 2009, 22:14   #220
Senior - BHPian
 
gigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,321
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Got used to see the mdf rings with clean fabric wrap in front doors when illusions were there and also with the alpines. compared to then the rear rings don't hold good.
The front ones will never be seen even if you want to but the rear rings can be seen when boot is opened.
I think because the amplifiers came at different times for setup, thats why there is no BT innovation in its setup like the sub. basically if all showed same height outside it would have been better but it will need complete rework of the rear panel.
gigy is online now  
Old 2nd December 2009, 23:35   #221
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

I withdraw my earlier comment. Looking at the new pics, I must say the install looks fantastic. I like the way the JBL amp is tucked away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
4) By crowded and downmarket what I meant was it looks like you've spent Rs 20K on the system opposed to the true lakhs that you have. While to some this may not be important, I stated my opinion. If I had a Lamborghini I wouldn't keep it parked at home under a cover that said Maruti, I'd drive it all over Mumbai! Doesn't make one a show off, it is what it is...
I don't know who you are and what beef you have with B&T or frankmehta, but you have completely spoilt the tone of this thread with comments like these.
Gilead is offline  
Old 3rd December 2009, 00:19   #222
BHPian
 
DocG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai - Singapore - Cali - Sydney - S.Korea
Posts: 870
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I don't know who you are and what beef you have with B&T or frankmehta, but you have completely spoilt the tone of this thread with comments like these.
No beef (At least from my end), I just call a spade a spade that's all. It may come out as brash, but I mean what I say, and just hope that it's taken in the right spirit, leading to either stimulated conversation or innovation.

Criticism is the hardest thing to take, and it's even harder to recognize when it's truly constructive. It's hard for me to stay quiet when I see true potential, I can't sit there and be "Oh great/cool...Wow" So I pen out my thoughts and hope for the best.

Cheers
DocG is offline  
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:21   #223
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,503
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

DocG,

Dont get me wrong but the reason the install was done this way was to keep it simple. yes a motorised amp tray could have been installed, the damping could have been covered in grey carpet but these add ons would not serve any acoustic purpose and Frank's goal was acoustics above all else and he has dedicated his energies and monies to acoustics only. If this car was going to be a show car things might have well be done differently.

Frank,

with respect to teh 6x9s, I was only worried that the front wave does not cancel the back wave.
navin is offline  
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:56   #224
Senior - BHPian
 
nairrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Payyannur-Kannur district
Posts: 2,106
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

@frankmehta

I have been reading all above comments and your Ice set up.
It is a wonderful job and no doubt you (the car) is going to rock (only worry is that I cannot listen the rich sound from those gadgets - may be you will call me to mumbai-joking).
Dont you think the 'sub' and other packages fitted in the boot may get damaged (when you load luggages -say couple of breif/suitcases, into the boot and going for a long drive -when on bumby roads or potholses these luggages tend to move foraward or sideways and hit them) ???
nairrk is offline  
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:44   #225
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,229 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Frank,

with respect to teh 6x9s, I was only worried that the front wave does not cancel the back wave.
ajay plans to do an impedance sweep/rta the next time he comes to my place. So most troubles will be ironed out then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
@frankmehta

I have been reading all above comments and your Ice set up.
It is a wonderful job and no doubt you (the car) is going to rock (only worry is that I cannot listen the rich sound from those gadgets - may be you will call me to mumbai-joking).
Dont you think the 'sub' and other packages fitted in the boot may get damaged (when you load luggages -say couple of breif/suitcases, into the boot and going for a long drive -when on bumby roads or potholses these luggages tend to move foraward or sideways and hit them) ???

Thank you Nair. The sub is SO solid that bags ramming it from the rear wont be a problem. Also, there is heavy luggage in my car once in 2-3 years, so I wouldn't bother about that.
I use my car as a personal point and shoot toy. It's not used by the others at home too. So I am ok with having so many 'gadgets' in the boot
frankmehta is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wanted an Alfa Romeo 156, bought an Eclipse now onto a Honda Accord CaliforniaKnight Luxury, Imports & Niche 45 19th July 2013 22:50
Please help me decide: Fiesta S or Fiesta ZXi? EDIT: Booked Fiesta S! Pics on pg5. frankmehta Sedans 108 18th August 2009 13:43
Getz ICE upgrade - Alpine HU, IDQ sub and Eclipse mono PatienceWins In-Car Entertainment 29 23rd August 2008 20:59
Will the Air Horns last as longer as Electric Horns ? mithun Modifications & Accessories 4 15th June 2006 11:05
Stebel Nautilus air horns John Technical Stuff 3 11th April 2006 13:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks