Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 10th December 2009, 22:39   #271
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
This is slowly becoming like one of ibm_jennifer's technical jargon threads. All talk, no play. Lol.
apologies for that, no more techie talk from my side on this thread
Old 10th December 2009, 22:42   #272
BHPian

Quote:
This is slowly becoming like one of ibm_jennifer's technical jargon threads. All talk, no play. Lol.
Spice it up. Add a demo video of your ICE with some rocking songs
Old 10th December 2009, 23:39   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty001 View Post
apologies for that, no more techie talk from my side on this thread

Dayummn! You think I took offence? Hell, no! I just thought I'd mention the guy since we haven't seen too much of him of late

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicvj View Post
Spice it up. Add a demo video of your ICE with some rocking songs
Will do soon
Old 11th December 2009, 11:55   #274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty001 View Post
But to be honest i would expect this situation reported in MP3car to be correct...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Yes. If it is with respect to other subwoofers installed in a normal fashion, then the inverted ones have to be in "opposite" polarity of those mounted normally. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
reversing the connection on speaker (any speaker - subwoofer, tweeter, etc....) makes it 180 deg out of phase. that is it. if it sounds muddled it is because the sound from all the drivers are not in phase. the muddled sound has nothing to do with connections of the drivers.
I think my post has been misunderstood. What I meant to say is this....

1. the muddled sound is beucase the driver (woofer in this case) is out of phase (the connection need not be reversed - as highlighted by the 12db/oct 2 way crossover example - for a driver to be out of phase).

2. If a driver is wired "normally" it could be out of phase or in phase. It is phase that is the issue not the wiring. If the driver is mounted where the magnet is out of the box and the wirign is reversed the driver might be in phase electrically but out of phase acoustically. It is the acoustic phase that is of concern, electrically modifying or compensating for phase is only so that all drivers in the system are in the same acoustic phase.

hope this makes things clearer.
Old 11th December 2009, 13:57   #275
BHPian

@naughty, to be honest, I have to admit that I didn't completely read the article you send a link to. But it is apparently related to time alignment in 2-way loudspeakers, their crossovers etc. That is all "analog" domain, and reasonably complex as I said before. What I was referring to is TA feature provided in head units, which I still believe is a very simple DSP function. Here speakers would be assumed to be ideal, I suppose!
Old 16th December 2009, 12:15   #276
BANNED

THIS INSTALLATION IS AWESOME, It is looking like a complete Nuclear lab in the Deck.
Old 21st December 2009, 13:29   #277
Senior - BHPian

Frank, long time, no update. Were the 'teething' troubles sorted out?
Old 21st December 2009, 19:59   #278
Senior - BHPian

Not yet, Gilead. I'm the guilty party there. Just haven't been able to find time to attend to Doc due to some unexpected commitments. But you'll see an update from Frank here soon.
Old 21st December 2009, 22:46   #279
Senior - BHPian

Yea, we might sort this out soon. No sweat, Ajay!
Old 22nd December 2009, 02:35   #280
BHPian

so are we getting more pics and videos soon, if yes great.
Old 26th December 2009, 13:53   #281
Senior - BHPian

Will surely add some more pictures once I am happy with the way the system sounds.
Old 11th February 2010, 20:16   #282

@ Frank Mehta - Kip it up buddy thats some nice ICE you got there....
Old 24th April 2010, 02:04   #283
Senior - BHPian

A BIIIIG hi to everyone on the ICE section. Wasn't posting here for a while due to various reasons. But this time, it's an 'UPGRADE' that has gone leaps and bounds in moving the 'bar' closer to what (I think) is perfect!
The fibreglass enclosure turned out to be bad idea in my car, and made the bass from my 50k sub amp combo sound like it was playing from a 4 inch coaxial driver. I mean, switching the sub off hardly made a difference and the sub spluttered to make an impression even at higher decibels.
I went back to the drawing board. The only thing I felt was that the fibreglass enclosure was not helping in bringing out the best from my system. Had a custom one fabricated at Sanen Audio (which is slowly becoming my favourite at making enclosures) It's a ported subwoofer made to these specifications:
http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands/...2GTi_rev_f.pdf

I paid a hefty sum of Rs. 4xxx to have this enclosure made, but LOOK at this beauty and you know it's a work of art. BY GOLLY, PORTED IS THE WAY TO GO! The sub sounds ABSOLUTELY heavenly. Sweet. And super tight. The port is tuned according to the specs given by JBL and the enclosure volume is also the same as instructed by them.
The sub sounds so good that I feel like playing all my music over and over again to see (hear) what I was missing all these six months.

MORAL OF THE STORY: NEVER sacrifice anything remotely to do with sound for AESTHETICS and space saving. If you don't have space to install this thing correctly in your car, you shouldn't have bought it in the first place ;-)

In a nutshell, love this subwoofer. Love the way they (the components and the sub) gel with each other. Love the kick (the proverbial 'kick' they talk so highly of!) and love the quality of the bass. QUantity of the bass has increased (by atleast 9 dbs) which means I have to tone the sub down by setting the sub channel trim to -6 db and lowering the sub level to 0 or -2 depending on the type of music I listen to. The 'timbre' of the bass and the razor sharp reflexes (when crossed over at 80 hz. @100 hz, the sub sounds a bit stressed. Maybe because it's getting a lot of power and the driver is being pushed to it's limits) of the sub make me fall in love. EVERY SINGLE TIME! She digs low. Real low. So low that I can feel her down my throat. (sorry for that innuendo, but this is really orgasmic!)
Let's call this a eargasm, shall we??

Pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1050724-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1050725-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1050726-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1050727-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1050728-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1050729-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1050730-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1050731-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1050732-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-p1050733-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Old 24th April 2010, 11:33   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A BIIIIG hi to everyone on the ICE section. Wasn't posting here for a while due to various reasons. But this time, it's an 'UPGRADE' that has gone leaps and bounds in moving the 'bar' closer to what (I think) is perfect!
The fibreglass enclosure turned out to be bad idea in my car, and made the bass from my 50k sub amp combo sound like it was playing from a 4 inch coaxial driver. I mean, switching the sub off hardly made a difference and the sub spluttered to make an impression even at higher decibels.
I went back to the drawing board. The only thing I felt was that the fibreglass enclosure was not helping in bringing out the best from my system. Had a custom one fabricated at Sanen Audio (which is slowly becoming my favourite at making enclosures) It's a ported subwoofer made to these specifications:
http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands/...2GTi_rev_f.pdf

I paid a hefty sum of Rs. 4xxx to have this enclosure made, but LOOK at this beauty and you know it's a work of art. BY GOLLY, PORTED IS THE WAY TO GO! The sub sounds ABSOLUTELY heavenly. Sweet. And super tight. The port is tuned according to the specs given by JBL and the enclosure volume is also the same as instructed by them.
The sub sounds so good that I feel like playing all my music over and over again to see (hear) what I was missing all these six months.

MORAL OF THE STORY: NEVER sacrifice anything remotely to do with sound for AESTHETICS and space saving. If you don't have space to install this thing correctly in your car, you shouldn't have bought it in the first place ;-)

In a nutshell, love this subwoofer. Love the way they (the components and the sub) gel with each other. Love the kick (the proverbial 'kick' they talk so highly of!) and love the quality of the bass. QUantity of the bass has increased (by atleast 9 dbs) which means I have to tone the sub down by setting the sub channel trim to -6 db and lowering the sub level to 0 or -2 depending on the type of music I listen to. The 'timbre' of the bass and the razor sharp reflexes (when crossed over at 80 hz. @100 hz, the sub sounds a bit stressed. Maybe because it's getting a lot of power and the driver is being pushed to it's limits) of the sub make me fall in love. EVERY SINGLE TIME! She digs low. Real low. So low that I can feel her down my throat. (sorry for that innuendo, but this is really orgasmic!)
Let's call this a eargasm, shall we??

Pictures:
Hi Frank,

I have been following your thread since a long time now and I must say that the time, effort & money that you put in your ICE installs are a huge help to everyone on TBHP. I mean you do alot of trial and error stuff; and I hope it is due to your own thoughs rather than suggestions made by experts and others; but Ive noticed that this leads to alot of time consumption and shelling out of big bucks which could have probably been avoided in the beginning itself. I mean, we all know that speakers and subs probably sound best in wodden enclosures rather than in enclosures made of any other material so dont know why you went in for the fibre glass enclosurein the first place. I have also noticed that most reputed installers and tuners dont make enclosures as per the specifications of the sub and usually provide us with a standard dimension based on the size of the sub. Moreover, they are always hell bent on having the enclosure non-ported claiming that the sound will be better and tighter. However, you have probably tried out everything and have done the total opposite which has exceeded your expectations. Sanen Acoustics obviously seem to know better about enclosures and acoustics. I am in the process of configuring a high end audio system myself for my Swift but being very cautious as I do not want to spend on something based on suggestions which is not going to make a big difference to my system and thanks to you, I am learning alot.

Anyway, we must all thank you for introducing us to new equipment and installs and ideas which would help guys like me in choosing the right equipment with right specifications in the beginning itself instead of spending time and precious money on something which only looks good but does not help with the sound.

Also, since you have probably tried out more subwoofers than I have seen, how would you rate your current subwoofer as compared to the Ground Zeros and IDs in the same class?

Keep it comming. Cheers!!!

Last edited by Epic : 24th April 2010 at 11:36.
Old 24th April 2010, 11:41   #285
Senior - BHPian

At last, that's a good decision you made. Ported is the way to go for many of JBl subs. The Enclosure looks nice with classic looks. It doesn't look like it's taking away much of the boot space. With the help of EQ you can also tune it to make it sound the way you want. Are you using the subsonic/HP filter on it ? I yet see the FG enclosure in the background, what's the plan, adding another 12"

Finally, it's time for long awaited audition..What say Franky

Last edited by Invinsible : 24th April 2010 at 11:47.
Closed Thread