Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 29th June 2011, 12:15   #421
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!

Frank i love the setup that you have but there was one question in my MIND. what do you use in your living room as a setup. please tell. Thanks
desideep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 13:59   #422
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Frank i love the setup that you have but there was one question in my MIND. what do you use in your living room as a setup. please tell. Thanks
I think Frank lives in his car

BTW Desi did you notice that the Royal Enfield logo in your avatar is similar to the Yamaha logo?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_AcBUSVxs82...amaha-Logo.gif
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 19:32   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmanrk View Post
Hey Frank

I am really amazed at the size of the horns!

I do not know anything about these and would be really pleased if you could add a technical link/ list / make etc for noobs like me.

Just 1 thought, since these are placed so low in the dashboard wouldnt the imaging be more biased to the lower side of the dashboard?

Again, I do not know how these horns work and stuff like that so please bear with my noob question.

Laxman
This should sort you out for some preliminary reading about horns
Horn loudspeaker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yes, the horns are HUGE. Huger than I thought!!
They are placed low solely due to space constraints but if you read further about horns in the link I provided, you will figure that the dispersion of sound for both, driver and passenger can be achieved quite well using this technique of installation.
Also, time alignment might help in raising the soundstage slightly, but I still gotta re-implement TA now, since the earlier values are for the Focal tweeters that were placed near the windscreen (till yesterday)
I shall do so in the weekend.
I know very little about dispersion and imaging and other stuff related to horn speakers, but there may be others who might assist you more on the same. What I can tell you is that these horns do something that suddenly makes Audio sound so correct. I can't describe this feeling more, and I will get some more driving (listening) done in the few days to put this into words

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Thank you mate. My home setup is not very elaborate. There is a lot more one can do in Home audio. But I am happy with what I own, and for me, it's quite a hoot to listen to!

The Configuration:
Display: Panasonic TH-P50V20D 50 inch Plasma TV
Denon AVR1910 Receiver and Amplifier
Dali Ikon 6 floorstanders (I do have a thing or two about special tweeters. In this case, it's the ABSOLUTELY eargasmic Ribbon super tweeter on my Ikons. They really are FABULOUS)
Dali Concept center channel
Wharfedale Diamond 10.FS Bipolar Surrounds
HSU Research VTF 2 MK3 Subwoofer
The Wires used are the Sommer NYFAZ Interior Cabling that does a stellar job at being hidden in walls but serves decent audiophile quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I think Frank lives in his car
Yes, I do live in a car. Almost. But it ain't mine. I drive about 100 km a day. In my fiancee's Accent and not my Fiesta S
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 20:36   #424
BHPian

Frank, a few questions about horns-
1. Are these replacement for normal component speakers or do you install horns in addition to the normal speakers?
2. Are these used primarily for hi frequencies (like a tweeter) or do they also perform the task of reproducing the mids (like a midrange/midbass in a component speaker? Essentially what I'd like to know is if horns can completely replace the component speakers.
3. What sort of amplification power do they need?
4. Do you need to install crossovers for these?
5. Other than ID, which other horns are easily available?

Thanks
Astleviz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 22:00   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
Frank, a few questions about horns-
1. Are these replacement for normal component speakers or do you install horns in addition to the normal speakers?

2. Are these used primarily for hi frequencies (like a tweeter) or do they also perform the task of reproducing the mids (like a midrange/midbass in a component speaker? Essentially what I'd like to know is if horns can completely replace the component speakers.
3. What sort of amplification power do they need?
4. Do you need to install crossovers for these?
5. Other than ID, which other horns are easily available?

Thanks
Hi mate.
Your answers in chronological order:
1. Yes, these are replacement for the TWEETER/MIDRANGE part of component speaker sets. You do, however need a pair of midbasses to do duty from 1200 hz downwards.

2. These play from 1200 hz to 20000 hz :-)

3. They require really really teeny weeny amounts of power owing to their >105 db sensitivity (well, most horns) which means that you can have an amp that puts out 50 * 2 w RMS of good power @ 4 ohms, hence giving each horn 25 W each (since my horns are 8 ohm impedance)

4. Yes, you do need crossovers, but in my case it's all digital since I am controlling absolutely every parameter from my carputer.

5. Image Dynamics, Veritas (earlier), B&C, Beyma, USD Audio, Audiobahn (surprisingly) and Illusion Audio have made horns for cars. Might be some more but this is what comes to mind. Out of these you can get ID, USD, Beyma and B&C horn + driver sets quite easily in USA.

In India, however, you can get extremely LIMITED quantities of the rare Illusion Audio CH-1 which I have installed in my car, but at an astronomical price of upwards of 80-85 k now.
Bass&trouble got a few of these and has now run out of them (all were booked before he even decided to order them)
He might be able to procure a set for you if you pester him (he likes PMs, phone calls and sms. You can contact him by getting his attention with 10-15 of them a day with lots of questions. He loves answering millions of questions about ICE, and loves to help wannabe audiophiles )

Last edited by frankmehta : 29th June 2011 at 22:03. Reason: Formatted again
Old 26th July 2011, 20:12   #426
Senior - BHPian

A new addition. Will be installing soon.
The PAC LC-1 Line level control. No bass boost, just pure level control of the subwoofers. Does not mess with the quality of sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-20110716-07.20.31.jpg  

Old 23rd November 2011, 20:00   #427
Senior - BHPian

After a TORRID love affair with the carputer, I am forced to disconnect and it and maybe even uninstall it.
BHAVNA FORD, you &*%^#$#, thank you for breaking my touchscreen. It was in for it's periodic service, and I got it back with a damaged body kit and a broken touchscreen.
Wish I hadn't given the car only :-(

Anyway, the broken touchscreen is not just the only reason. I am currently in the last 6 months of doing my postgraduation as a pediatric dentist. I have a lot of commitments and time constraints.
Ordering a new touch screen was possible, but too expensive.
Ordering a replacement digitizer was possible, but too expensive (time wise)

Hence I have shelved the carputer project for a while, and wish to keep the stuff in the car, but as of now, I will operate with a head unit.

Yes, guys. That's going to be a high end unit too.

Waiting for it to arrive. As far as i know, it's already on it's way. Next week, perhaps.

SAD to see such a fledgling audiophile supercarputer project coming to an end because of incompetence from service guys. SHAME on you BHAVNA Ford!
Old 23rd November 2011, 23:43   #428
BHPian

@frank

Why dont you ask them to pay for the screen which they damaged and also the broken body kit?
You should take there case left right and center, due to someones neglect your hardwork and money and time which you have spent on your SUPERB carputer is now down the drain.
Old 24th November 2011, 00:05   #429
BHPian

sorry to see your carputer damaged by service guys.
Lets wait for another updated from Frank and see which hi-end HU he's upto now.
Old 24th November 2011, 11:12   #430
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
After a TORRID love affair with the carputer.

SAD to see such a fledgling audiophile supercarputer project coming to an end because of incompetence from service guys. SHAME on you BHAVNA Ford!
Sad to see this carputer damaged but..... a TORRID love affair with a carputer...aren't you engaged?
Old 24th November 2011, 23:38   #431
Senior - BHPian

Old 25th November 2011, 05:37   #432
Senior - BHPian

Eclipse ? is that what you mean Frank?
Old 29th November 2011, 23:29   #433
Senior - BHPian

Carputer was officially disassembled today. My dream for two years. Out in an hour :-(

Anyway, all's well that end's swell. I am now looking forward to my new head unit, the Eclipse Cd7100.

Ford Fiesta S: Eclipse, XBL2 and NOW WITH HORNS!-x099cd7100f.jpeg

Differences from my earlier head unit: (CD7200)
1. No Bluetooth
2. No copper chassis
3. Colour screen as opposed to a lacklustre mono coloured screen on the Cd7200
4. Presence of in built amplifer (not a deadhead) as compared to the Cd7200.

Benefits for me:
1. I never used bluetooth
2. I now have a built in amplifier which means I can do away with a WHOLE amplifier (for the rear fills) from the rear of my trunk. There are 4 of them in there. (If 2's company and 3's a crowd then 4 is like PUSHING it!)
3. More readable and attractive colour screen means I won't loathe the display of the head unit like I did with the CD7200
Old 30th November 2011, 12:13   #434
BHPian

@frank

You wont miss the copper chassis ?

how does a copper chassis help in sound quality ?
Old 30th November 2011, 14:41   #435
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
how does a copper chassis help in sound quality ?
EMI Sheilding - Ken Ishiwata made these a cult post his 63KI.

My take: Copper helps but a bigger badder PS helps more, much much more.

Last edited by navin : 30th November 2011 at 14:43.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread