Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 23rd September 2009, 18:39   #1
BHPian

Default ICE done for Getz. Got Clarion 785

Hi ICE Gurus,

I request your feedback.

I have gotten the following installed in my Getz. But somehow the effect is not great, in the sense that the sweetness of the sound is missing The bass if enhanced is great for initially, but feels like hammering after sometime. Same goes for treble.

My original budget was around 15K when i had posted here, but that ketp on getting enhanced till it touched 25K.

1. Your Car: Getz Crdi
2. Your current setup (If any): Given Below
3. Your Budget: 25K MAX
4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? Self Drive
5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Regular new film songs, Kishore / Mukesh, A.R.Rahman. I do enjoy the hard punchy bass now and then.
6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : Not really keen.

So the following is the setup, i have now :

Blaupunkt Hamburg 57 MP3 Player - Rs. 8500
Speakers - Slick 60 V2 Vibe - Rs. 5000 for a pair 6" in all 4 doors. So 10K. ( he called them components)
Blaupunkt Amp GTA 4 - Rs. 6350

I have the option of getting the stuff changed if i am not satisfied. The revamping excercise is slated for this saturday.

The dealer has suggested to put 6' x 9' oval comps on the rear shelf ( the current ones are 6" and on the door) and that would give better sound.

Somehow i am not very satisfied with the logic and not really keen on spending another 3-4K on the setup ( the Vkool film and seat covers went for a toss due to the ICE )

Does fitment on the parcel tray make that much of a diffrence?
Also, is the above combination OK?

Any other suggestions for the mentioned budget..??

Please advise.

@ Mods : Would request that the thread not be deleted. Am hopelessly confused about the setup and i do need specific advise. Thanks.

Last edited by Bapu : 23rd September 2009 at 18:41.
Bapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 18:57   #2
BHPian

In my opinion the culprits are the speakers, listen to other brands like JBL/Infinity/Illusion/hertz etc and then decide yourself.The rest off the equipment seems completely fine.
DjNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapu View Post
Blaupunkt Hamburg 57 MP3 Player - Rs. 8500
Speakers - Slick 60 V2 Vibe - Rs. 5000 for a pair 6" in all 4 doors. So 10K. ( he called them components)
1. components are speakers that have a tweeter and woofer seperate and not mounted in one chassis.

2. Never heard of Vibe of Slick. Try a better known brand. JBL GT5 or Blau THx/Thc should cost you about the same.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:28   #4
BHPian

O Bapu. Where did you get it installed in Ahmedabad ? it makes hell lots of difference when you install it from professional. Hope you didnt make a trip to Mithakhali.
As mentioned by nik. listen to JBL/Infinty/Hertz. There is a JBL shworoom Near Parimal Garden.

@Navin Sir. I googled vibe. VIBE - Slick 60 Speaker
its a co-ax speaker.
nisarg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

kya arbit dalwa liya hai guru! Complete waste of 25k

Why didn't you take Nisarg along when the man himself is there in amdavad!

btw, same amp in delhi in july costed me 5200 incl b/w! (GTA4MKII)
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 01:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

5000 per pair of coaxials?!!

Disclaimer- me no 'Guru', just a JBL fan!!

You are better off with GTO608c for almost the same cost! And if you dont mind putting in a MDF plank instead of the stock parcel tray, then GTO938 ovals it is- else replace the rear coaxials with GTO638 coaxials
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 09:50   #7
BHPian

Seriously arbit!

@Bapu - I'm coming to Ahmedabad on Saturday morning. You can audition my set up and then we can possibly make a decision on what needs to be changed and how in your car. This could be a pre-meet to the planned Vadodara TBHP meet!

I have the same amp, a Clarion HU and JBLs. As nisarg mentioned, the installation also matters a lot. I've seen dual amps hooked up to quality stuff, but sounding worse than an AM radio!

Last edited by the_maassk : 24th September 2009 at 09:51.
the_maassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 10:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapu View Post

I have the option of getting the stuff changed if i am not satisfied. The revamping excercise is slated for this saturday.

The dealer has suggested to put 6' x 9' oval comps on the rear shelf ( the current ones are 6" and on the door) and that would give better sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
@Navin Sir. I googled vibe. VIBE - Slick 60 Speaker
its a co-ax speaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Bapu, looks like you have been mercilessly buggered. The amp you have is widely available for 5000 with b/w. The "components" are from a brand that publishes "minimum power handling" (40w RMS in case you are wondering). And of course, the website admits that it is a coax.

6x9" ovals on a rear MDF tray is definitely a good idea if you don't plan to add a subwoofer. The ovals can give you a hint of bass (and come on, who doesn't want to enjoy fuller, richer music with enough hint of bass). The only drawback is the strength/thickness of the tray- too light and it will bend down because of the speakers, and too heavy- it'll pull its supporting mounts and lead to rattling a few months/years down the line.

However, still advise you to get the right MDF tray and fit 6x9s on rear shelf (of course, leave the rear doors as it is . Ideally it should look like:

MDF tray cost - 600-800
Rear 6x9s- 3-4k (try JBL, Pioneer, Hertz etc.)
Front components - 5-7k (try JBL, Illusion, Hertz etc.)
Damping for front doors - 2-3k (a must have)

Last edited by greenh0rn : 24th September 2009 at 10:07.
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 10:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

just get good compos..

rest all is good !!

if possible change the head but blaupunkt hamburg is not that bad !!
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 10:36   #10
BHPian

10K for two pairs of 6" coaxials? Daylight robbery!

Return both the pairs and get JBL 608C components upfront and some decent pair of 6X9 on the parcel tray.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 12:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

608c are very very sharp

better get hertz dieci or bull audio compos only for fronts !!

there are other compos as well in the market, do ask about as well !! try to audition
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 13:10   #12
BHPian

First of all. Thanks Guys. I have already informed the dealer that i'll be coming on Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
O Bapu. Where did you get it installed in Ahmedabad ? it makes hell lots of difference when you install it from professional. Hope you didnt make a trip to Mithakhali.
Hi Nisarg, Didnt go to Mithakhali. Got it done from Karnavati Cars, near Satyagrah Chhavni, Opp the HP Petrol Pump. PM'g you my number. Let's meet up and if possible, would love to have your advice on Saturday too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
kya arbit dalwa liya hai guru! Complete waste of 25k
Maalik, Tell me about it I shall have my revenge on the bugger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
Seriously arbit!

@Bapu - I'm coming to Ahmedabad on Saturday morning. You can audition my set up....I have the same amp, a Clarion HU and JBLs. As nisarg mentioned, the installation also matters a lot. I've seen dual amps hooked up to quality stuff, but sounding worse than an AM radio!
Maask - Let's definitely meet up. PM'g you my number. Infact in my car too the radio is louder than the CD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Bapu, looks like you have been mercilessly buggered. The amp you have is widely available for 5000 with b/w.
Damping for front doors - 2-3k (a must have)
Greenhorn - I asked the guy if you do damping he said yes ( i didnt expect many in Ahmedabad to even know about it!!) But the "Damping" that he did was a joke. Will get it done properly this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
10K for two pairs of 6" coaxials? Daylight robbery!

Return both the pairs and get JBL 608C components upfront and some decent pair of 6X9 on the parcel tray.
Ya. I have been molested i'd say. But as i told Hits. I shall have my revenge.

@ Chiragh - Thanks. I liked the Blaupunkt for 2 things - The Bluetooth and the Playlist display. Will heed your advise about the Comps also.

This time around, i wont let go so easily.

Last edited by Bapu : 24th September 2009 at 13:14.
Bapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 13:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Bapu your name reminds me of my friend sons who calls his dad bapu just to tease him!

Jokes apart I would advise you listen to a few cars and then decide.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 14:39   #14
BHPian

Bapu. Karnavati Guy is Ok. when it comes to installation.
Anyway Lets meet up. Audition my carputer and GZ ICE. You will have better idea.
Old 24th September 2009, 23:21   #15
BHPian

It was a pleasure to meet you Bapu. We will not spare that Karnavati Guy on Saturday.

Guys. Gain wasnt set properly on AMP.Hence Bapu has to Pump up the volume to max. and i didnt fiddle it coz AMP was under the front seat. To my limited Knowledge on ICE. One has to set the Gain Properly to get the ample loudness at Low Vol. from headunit.
Right ?
I will get you the good quote on JBL Compos tomorrow.