Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 25th September 2009, 19:58   #1
BHPian

Default ICE for Palio SDX

At last I yielded. Decided to go for ICE for my Palio MJD. I was not for spending huge amount since I drive only in the city and hardly anyone can enjoy music in the mad traffic here. Now that I need to go out of city often, ICE became a necessity.

A little time spent on researching yielded result. For Head Unit got an offer for Xenos 150 DVD. It is an outgoing model. It plays DVD, has USB (not in the front), SD card reader and has other bells and whistles. No Aux though. MRP is around Rs. 8000. One dealer offered 50% discount. Got it for Rs. 4000.

Rationale for buying this HU was since it plays DVD (both audio as well as video) I can write all the songs on to a single DVD and leave it in the unit. It will also help prevent dust formation on the lens as many complain when they use only the USB device. Of course, the face plate can be tilted and removed. I can't use iPod or any other mp3 player because there is no Aux. I have an iRiver H320 filled to the brim. But when a DVD costing Rs. 15 can do the trick, why bother with Aux?

I decided to install speakers only in the stock positions. Hunted for JBL 13 cm. Couldn't get them. Settled for Ultimate Speakers. They are made in Canada. Sounds good. Got front components (T2-510C) and at the back T2-5021 co-axial, round shape. Both 13 cm. Components came for Rs. 3800 and coaxial for Rs. 2100. The whole set up is for Rs. 9900.

Since Palio SDX comes with wiring, installation was a breeze. X-overs went in the door (will post pictures later). Tweeters fit snugly in their stock position. USB cable came from under the dash on to the coin box below. Actually I think it is a good position as there might be chances of ruining the USB device when we flail out arms if it sticks out from the dash.

The sound is crisp. Not too much bass. I listen to pop and Hindi melodies. To my ears the speakers sound great.

For more details of the product go to Xenos website. Actually you may not find this model featured. The newer model has USB port up front, along with Aux and SD card reader. On DVD 150 the SD card reader is inside the face plate. You flit it open and then insert the card. For Ultimate speakers you can check with ssplindia.net
lejhoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 23:38   #2
BHPian

So how much did the total cost you ?

And pics please.
jithudigitised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 18:49   #3
BHPian

Here are some photos:
Attached Thumbnails
ICE for Palio SDX-xover-door.jpg  

ICE for Palio SDX-hu.jpg  

ICE for Palio SDX-usb.jpg  

ICE for Palio SDX-door-view.jpg  

Old 26th September 2009, 21:19   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
So how much did the total cost you ?

And pics please.
The whole set up cost Rs. 9900, including installation. Today I checked with the dealer about the availability of the HU. He has three more in stock.
Old 27th September 2009, 00:28   #5
BHPian

what is that red thing in the doors.IS it something related to the speakers.

BTW what do you mean by 9900.does it include HU+comps+coaxials+installation or just the comp+coaxials
jithudigitised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 10:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:

BTW what do you mean by 9900.does it include HU+comps+coaxials+installation or just the comp+coaxials
They are the Crossovers
shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 10:58   #7
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, that's right. The whole set up cost me Rs. 9900. See the first post for details. Cheers.
Old 8th October 2009, 18:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

That sounds like a cool set up in a tight budget (like mine).

I was wondering where the tweeters are located in the Palio as I need to fix the ICE in my Palio.

If you could share the name and address of the dealer who has those Xenos HUs at a discount, I would be grateful.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 18:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Palio's stock tweeter location is just below the ORVM control knob.

@ Rav - are you planning to upgrade or add a new setup?
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 18:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Palio's stock tweeter location is just below the ORVM control knob.

@ Rav - are you planning to upgrade or add a new setup?
The ICE in my GTX is totally messed up now. I think the 'mid' in the right door is torn/busted and the rest of it does not sound much better. (Absynthguzzler used the car for a day and after trying to cut out the front speakers by fading to the rear, wisely gave up and switched the whole thing off ).

There is a Sony HU (CDX GT 470U), some 2 way comps in the front with the tweeters fixed on the dash next to the A pillar, a Kenwood 5202 amp driving JBL GT5 963 (6 X 9s) in the rear. The wiring does not inspire much confidence.

I am therefore planning a complete revamp, retaining only those parts that are good and replacing the others.

My problem is, I have been spoilt by the four sets of 3 way components (Alpine I presume) in the Skoda and am hoping for similar (crisp and clear) sound quality at a fraction of the cost.

Thanks for the info regarding the stock position of the tweeters - that location is much better than the 'on the dashboard' so I will try to fit the new tweeters there.

Now, off to trawl the classifieds.

Cheers,
Old 8th October 2009, 19:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Thanks for the info regarding the stock position of the tweeters - that location is much better than the 'on the dashboard' so I will try to fit the new tweeters there.

Now, off to trawl the classifieds.

Cheers,
I'm not sure if the tweeters will fit in the stock locations. The other best location would be on the A pillar just above the dashboard facing to you or each other(tweeters)

Looks decent too! I've the same on my Palio
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 19:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like a good set up. I bet it will sound even better if you can put in another 4-5K and get an amp to power the components. Any future upgrade plans?
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 10:43   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
There is a Sony HU (CDX GT 470U), some 2 way comps in the front with the tweeters fixed on the dash next to the A pillar, a Kenwood 5202 amp driving JBL GT5 963 (6 X 9s) in the rear. The wiring does not inspire much confidence.

I am therefore planning a complete revamp, retaining only those parts that are good and replacing the others.

My problem is, I have been spoilt by the four sets of 3 way components (Alpine I presume) in the Skoda and am hoping for similar (crisp and clear) sound quality at a fraction of the cost.
Ravveendra, since budget is important. What is your budget. We can retain the amp, HU and 6x9s if they are ok.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 15:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Default No more hijacking

I am sorry that I (unintentionally) started hijacking this thread. I have made amends by starting a new thread "GTX Palio ICE revamp" at : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ml#post1523496.

I request the mods to do the needful and shift the relevant posts (since 8th October 2009) to the correct thread.

Cheers and thanks in advance.