Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 10th December 2009, 15:29   #16
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
It does cost a bomb. Even my the cheapest US rates, its close to 1500 USD

A better (in sense cheaper) option in this league would be the Clarion HX-D2
Actually the clarion is very different in the sense that it does not play modern formats like MP3 and WMA from the headunit itself whereas the pioneer does and then the clarion would require an external module to play the ipod and utilize ipod controls etc whilst the pioneer has all of that onboard

The pioneer and clarion are similar in terms of the audio processing they are capable of doing but the pioneer still has a far higher flexibility in its potential usage, so to me the pioneer is well worth looking into if you are building a system that you want to be truly high end.

In my actual dream setup the only headunit i would consider using if i did not want external processing would be the pioneer because eventually it allows lots of functionality without using any external add on modules of any type so the system can be simply headunit --> amplifiers --> speakers. Its even better if you use a multichannel amplifier to run the subwoofer/s and also the front speakers and keep everythng totally simple ie headunit leading to one amp and that amp powers the front stage as well as the subwoofers from the processing of the pioneer hence all the controls for the processing are at your fingertips instead of being at the back which allows you to adjust without leaving the comfort of your own seat. The other advantage is that if you use fewer bits of equipment ie keep to a minimalistic simple approach you can then get the best bits of equipment you can afford simply because you buy the best your budget allows but because there are fewer items you will get better items

and yes the unit doesnt have many flashing lights or dancing dolphins and amoled or LED/LCD screens playing you video's etc but it will give you lots of sound functionality which is useful whilst video IMHO is not useful for you whilst you are driving hence nor is all those extra bells and whistles that the non SQ units provide

Quote:
My turn to apologize for the late reply....

Did some reading up on your Pio on the net...you own a piece of equipment that has cult status
no problem sir, indeed the amplifier did have a cult following moreso because it had one of the best phono stages you could get in an integrated amplifier and in the days when it was designed this was an important factor

sadly i dont have the unit anymore because when the one channel got faulty i gave it to a buddy of mine together with a a pair of bookshelf speakers i sold to him. the deal was that the speakers were brand new so if he paid me what i paid for them then he could have the amplifier and if he repaired that then he would have a decent amp to run the speakers too. I really miss that amp and i still use the Pioneer PDS802 CD player i purchased at that time (this had a similar reputation to the amplifier and the cd player is still running strong and actually sounds far better than most modern newer players)
naughty001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 12:21   #17
BHPian

The Pioneer P99 seems perfect. However, I'm a little confused about one aspect. Is this a deadhead (no internal amplifiers)? If it is, this is my next HU.
theEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 12:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
The Pioneer P99 seems perfect. However, I'm a little confused about one aspect. Is this a deadhead (no internal amplifiers)? If it is, this is my next HU.
Even otherwise, you might have the option of switching off the internal amplifier. This feature is available in P80RSII & P88RS also
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 12:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

^^Is this feature present in the Clarion DXZ785?
PS: I think I've done this in an Alpine 9887.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 14:04   #20
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
the P99RS is definitely a dead head, it has no internal amplifiers. The JDM version (japanese domestic market) which is called the DEH-P01 is also a deadhead but they provide an external 6 channel amplifier bundled with it

@ nitrous you can switch off the internal amplifiers in the 9887, im not sure of whether that feature is also on the clarion or not
naughty001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 14:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty001 View Post
@ nitrous you can switch off the internal amplifiers in the 9887, im not sure of whether that feature is also on the clarion or not
Yes, this feature is present even on 785USB. I have it switched off in my car but cant really find any audible difference.
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote