Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 30th October 2009, 20:56   #31
BHPian

please put the pics of your upgrade from 4.1 to 6.1. i want to see the new setup.
S.I.N.G.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 15:30   #32
BHPian

@shreyasma
Thanks! unfortunately, the mid-bass drivers for 6.1 were not available loosely, so bought the complete package.

The upgrade took place a couple of days back and what an upgrade! Started at around 1 in the afternoon and the install went well past 7:30PM! Some jugaads, some innovative engg dimaag and the install was done pretty decently, not the finish that we usually see from the professional Mumbai/Delhi installers but it was good!

Now coming to the core of the upgrade, the sound! Just one word, WOW! I never thought that the 6.5 inchers will add so much completeness to ICE.

However, I realized that there are two problems that need to be tackled. No1, there is some air gap between the spacer rings and the door pads, and No2, I need to upgrade speaker wires URGENTLY!

Problem 1 is being dealt with right now. A complete DIY Damping of front doors is in progress. The idea I have is to create a channel or tunnel for the sound to reach the metal door cavity and thus, creating a sealed box environment.

Problem 2 has been dealt with. Getting some decent speaker wire from B&T.

Special thanks to Ajay for advice and bearing with my calls and abhibh (yaar MX nahi labhi painti sector ton )

Here a few pics of the work in progress. Going to damp the door pads now.

Tony Ustaad giving finishing touch to the door panel
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-image082.jpg

Air Gaps being sealed, will create the channel once speaker wire is upgraded
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_1073.jpg

Damping the door
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_1075.jpg

Some metal part had to be cut
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_1077.jpg

Metal body damped
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_1078.jpg
thelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:21   #33
BHPian

Phase 2 of the upgrade is complete! And the improvement in sound is amazing!
6.5 inch mid bass drivers installed, damping for front doors and boot done. Next upgrade will be speaker wire.

Here a few pics

The door panel damped
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_1081.jpg

Damping the boot lid
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_1087.jpg
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_1089.jpg
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_1091.jpg

Illusion 6.1 in Alto
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_1083.jpg
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_1086.jpg
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:51   #34
BHPian

wow!!! it looks great! i wish i could have these! congrats for the upgrade.
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:21   #35
BHPian

thelord- this installation looks damn good! Quite impressive, especially the mid-bass drivers installation. Enjoy your music man!
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 00:35   #36
BHPian

Congratulations, the setup looks neat!

How much did the damping cost & which Brand??

BTW the Alto door looks as if it belongs to a much more expensive car with the Illusion's
maglev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 00:39   #37
BHPian

i too agree with maglev. i hope some day my car also undergoes the same upgrade.
Old 3rd November 2009, 00:51   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
i too agree with maglev. i hope some day my car also undergoes the same upgrade.

The day would be very soon my friend.

Till then utilize this time to gain as much knowledge about ICE as you can.

You might end up with something even better, If you know your stuff then it becomes very easy.

CHEERS
maglev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 00:53   #39
BHPian

great. thanks for the advice. for now i am upgrading to 4.1 illusions, thanks to thelord!
Old 3rd November 2009, 00:53   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
wow!!! it looks great! i wish i could have these! congrats for the upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
thelord- this installation looks damn good! Quite impressive, especially the mid-bass drivers installation. Enjoy your music man!
Thanks guys! The installation work was quite satisfactory given the experience we have in Chandigarh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Congratulations, the setup looks neat!

How much did the damping cost & which Brand??

BTW the Alto door looks as if it belongs to a much more expensive car with the Illusion's
Hehe, thanks bro! Damping, well some 20 sq ft of NoiseKill did the job perfectly! Still have around 4-5 sq ft left. I must say its a good product for the cost (150 bucks per sq ft). A hair-dryer came in real handy for the damping work
Old 3rd November 2009, 01:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

Congrats TheLord. Finally its done

Sorry couldn't make it to your place the other day. Maybe tomorrow if you are free after 12pm.

Last edited by Dippy : 3rd November 2009 at 09:20.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:56   #42
Senior - BHPian

ICE'd it very well.What brand are those power windows? Guess it not Autocop? How much did you dough for.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 18:12   #43
BHPian

@abhi, sure lets meet sometime this week.

@Ramsagar
Thanks! The Power Windows are by RD (rdoverseas.com). Cost me 4.5k and they come with the up-module. I found them better than Autocop and the installation was professional, all proper wiring channels used, with no jugaads.
Old 23rd November 2009, 08:21   #44
Senior - BHPian

Be aware of the support that they give when in need. Cos after market PW setup always leads to some trouble. I'm not trying to frighten you, but just to be cautious.

NOTE:Never forget keys in the car. Up-module will roll-up your windows.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 00:09   #45
BHPian

Well here is another one smitten by the DLS sound! And its the R6A.

Finished with the install today. Too early to write a detailed review as they will be in "break-in" mode for at least 2 weeks. But a few initial impressions

- heavy and sturdy build
- considerable increase in detail, refined sound!
- super smooth tweeter
- mid-woofer has nice low extension
- no comment on the 'kick' as of now, as the gains are presently set very low ~ 1/4th

Here are the pics without any more wait. Tweeter install pics and a detailed review to follow soon!

DLS R6A
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_1476.jpg

R6A vs Electra 6.1
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_1479.jpg
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_1498.jpg

Crossover Network
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_1485.jpg

These are heavy!
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_1486.jpg

Mid-Bass Driver
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_1489.jpg
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_1494.jpg

T25 Tweeters
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_1499.jpg

With the angled mount
Alto - ICE Upgrade with DLS, Kenwood, Blaupunkt. Updated pics on pg 3-img_1503.jpg