Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2009, 16:11   #16
BHPian
 
S.I.N.G.H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: new delhi
Posts: 365
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

@panky. thanx man. that was what i was looking for. i cudnt get the dimensions for the box earlier.
@ panky- thanks man for the advice. that was useful.
@ deralte- that was rude. but still thanx for your reply

regards
S.I.N.G.H

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd October 2009 at 07:36.
S.I.N.G.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 16:26   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
tsk13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 278 Times
Default

Off-topic, there is a hiss from the rear JBL Co-axials in my car post the Amp+Sub setup (Rears for the timebeing have been disconnected). Any idea, whose the best person to rectify this in Delhi and what should be the charges?
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 16:30   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Rude? Huh? Sorry!

If you take the comment on your handle - as per conventions, any collection of alphabets separated by dots is taken to be an abbreviation / acronym / short form of a long version. Thank you, but perhaps you need to develop a sense of humor first, Mr. S.I.N.G.H.

If you meant the reference to Mr. Freedabadwale, perhaps you are unaware of who that person is - Mr. Raghhvinder Singh, urf Low_bass_makker, whom we lovingly refer to as Bhai LBM Singhji Freedabadwale (since he is from Fareedabad, HA), and who is one of the acknowledged audio gurus here.

Last edited by DerAlte : 2nd October 2009 at 16:32.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 16:45   #19
BHPian
 
S.I.N.G.H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: new delhi
Posts: 365
Thanked: 31 Times
Default alto ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Rude? Huh? Sorry!

If you take the comment on your handle - as per conventions, any collection of alphabets separated by dots is taken to be an abbreviation / acronym / short form of a long version. Thank you, but perhaps you need to develop a sense of humor first, Mr. S.I.N.G.H.

If you meant the reference to Mr. Freedabadwale, perhaps you are unaware of who that person is - Mr. Raghhvinder Singh, urf Low_bass_makker, whom we lovingly refer to as Bhai LBM Singhji Freedabadwale (since he is from Fareedabad, HA), and who is one of the acknowledged audio gurus here.
sir please don't mind. i didn't mean. your comment was different from others. and this was all of a sudden. so i feld a little offended. i do apologise for that.

now comming to the point, FINALLY WHAT SHOULD I DO AND WHERE IN DELHI SHOULD I GO WITH A BUDGET OF AROUND 12K TO UPGRADE MY ICE.
S.I.N.G.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 17:08   #20
BHPian
 
S.I.N.G.H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: new delhi
Posts: 365
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

tsk13, where do you put up? if you can go to lajpat nagar, there is this huge shop calledauto marc. they are one of the best people in business. go there, i am sure he will be able to solve your problem. this showroom is just next to moolchand flyover, behind the delhi tourism office.

regards
S.I.N.G.H
S.I.N.G.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 17:17   #21
BHPian
 
maglev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 785
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Off-topic, there is a hiss from the rear JBL Co-axials in my car post the Amp+Sub setup (Rears for the timebeing have been disconnected). Any idea, whose the best person to rectify this in Delhi and what should be the charges?

Could be the wiring!!
maglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 19:11   #22
BHPian
 
S.I.N.G.H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: new delhi
Posts: 365
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

i am facing the same problem, and the cause is the wiring. get it checked.
S.I.N.G.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 20:58   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Off-topic, there is a hiss from the rear JBL Co-axials in my car post the Amp+Sub setup ...
Could you describe your whole setup? Are the rears connected to the amp, or the HU? How loud is the hiss? Are you only able to just hear it when no music is playing, or are you hearing the hiss all the time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
... i do apologise for that.

now comming to the point, FINALLY WHAT SHOULD I DO AND WHERE IN DELHI SHOULD I GO WITH A BUDGET OF AROUND 12K TO UPGRADE MY ICE.
No apologies necessary, shereya, it is always possible to misunderstand!

Think of an upgrade only after you have understood what you are missing or what has not been properly used / set in your current system. Despite the fact that Sony raises everyones hackles here, just try to meet up with LBM or Panky or some of the Delhi TBHPians who have ICEd their cars - they will be able to retune your system. Once a limit has been reached, you can compare with their systems and figure out what you need to change. Quite likely your rears have been tuned far louder than the front, and with sub playing full blast the rear is completely overpowering the front image.

You could also try tuning it yourself (I am assuming rear speakers are connected to the amp):
1. Set amp gains to 0 (both pairs of channels)
2. Set Fader to full front
3. Set ALL tone controls to 0 - no Bass boost or Treble boost, no EQ selection
4. Play some familiar music from CD
5. Set HU volume to 1/3 full scale, or whatever level is the normal listening volume for you. Now set Fader to center (F0 or 0)
6. Slowly increase the gain of the channels feeding the rear speakers (sub still 0) till the music is at a comfortable volume for a rear seat passenger, but not enough that you hear the rear channel in the driver's seat
7. Now increase the gain of the channels feeding the sub, till you just hear the sub in the driver's seat
8. Increase and decrease the volume from HU to see if both front and rear increase and decrease with the same proportion
9. At low volume, it may seem that the sub is not playing at all. If you now increase the gain to the sub, at a loud volume the bass may seem very loud. Try and achieve a balance between the two

If in case the fronts are connected to the amp and the rear to HU, start by setting the Fader to full rear and setting the rear volume at the HU to a comfortable volume. Now set Fader to center and then increase the amp gain to front speakers till you hear front speakers more than rear. Cross check by setting Fader to full front to see if rears become almost silent.

Don't worry, you only need a screw-driver suitable for the gain knob, and a bit of self-confidence. All the best! If you need someone to help you get the tuning right, ask a family member to be the listener.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 22:22   #24
BHPian
 
S.I.N.G.H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: new delhi
Posts: 365
Thanked: 31 Times
Default amplifier tuning

respects to you sir,
this did work. i have made all the settings as per you told. thank you soo much. most of my problem is solved. the rest would be rectified when i upgrade to a tray and a small enclosure with new speakers in the boot.

regards
thankyou again
SINGH
S.I.N.G.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 23:39   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
tsk13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 278 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
tsk13, where do you put up? if you can go to lajpat nagar, there is this huge shop calledauto marc. they are one of the best people in business. go there, i am sure he will be able to solve your problem. this showroom is just next to moolchand flyover, behind the delhi tourism office.

regards
S.I.N.G.H
Thanks Singh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Could you describe your whole setup? Are the rears connected to the amp, or the HU? How loud is the hiss? Are you only able to just hear it when no music is playing, or are you hearing the hiss all the time?
DerAlte, the system details:
1. Sony HU (Front USB), Front Sony Speakers (4 inch), Rear JBL Co-Axials 210w, JBL GT5-S644 Amp (4 channel), JBL GT5-S12 Sub and JBL Wiring.

2. Rears connected to the Amp. Fronts connected to the HU which has only 1 RCA Preout.

3. The Hiss is uniform, irrespective of the volume. Clearly audible when no music being played with HU on or at low volumes. At high volumes, it subsides as music is more audible.
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 23:54   #26
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,503
Thanked: 3,881 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Navin, why are you trying to scare the children with Ramsay-brothers style pictures?
I was just trying to explain that all of us went through the wallof sound phase. Singh's current set up has all the power in the back. the 6x9 and sub are over powering the front speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
You could also try tuning it yourself (I am assuming rear speakers are connected to the amp):
1. Set amp gains to 0 (both pairs of channels)
2. Set Fader to full front
3. Set ALL tone controls to 0 - no Bass boost or Treble boost, no EQ selection
4. Play some familiar music from CD
5. Set HU volume to 1/3 full scale, or whatever level is the normal listening volume for you. Now set Fader to center (F0 or 0)
6. Slowly increase the gain of the channels feeding the rear speakers (sub still 0) till the music is at a comfortable volume for a rear seat passenger, but not enough that you hear the rear channel in the driver's seat
7. Now increase the gain of the channels feeding the sub, till you just hear the sub in the driver's seat
8. Increase and decrease the volume from HU to see if both front and rear increase and decrease with the same proportion
9. At low volume, it may seem that the sub is not playing at all. If you now increase the gain to the sub, at a loud volume the bass may seem very loud. Try and achieve a balance between the two.
Singh. Since the 6x9s are sub are in the rear completing the above tuning process may lower the max level of the system. This is becuase we are now tuning the system so that the sound stage is in the front (the 4" Kenwood speakers).

The tuning explanation given by Der Alte is perfect. If you are happy with the max SPLs of the system then just leave the settings. If you want to tighten the bass you should get an appropriate sealed box for the sub. If you want to up the max SPL of the system you will need to upgrade the front speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Off-topic, there is a hiss from the rear JBL Co-axials in my car post the Amp+Sub setup (Rears for the timebeing have been disconnected). Any idea, whose the best person to rectify this in Delhi and what should be the charges?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
1. Sony HU (Front USB), Front Sony Speakers (4 inch), Rear JBL Co-Axials 210w, JBL GT5-S644 Amp (4 channel), JBL GT5-S12 Sub and JBL Wiring.
2. Rears connected to the Amp. Fronts connected to the HU which has only 1 RCA Preout.
3. The Hiss is uniform, irrespective of the volume.
This is prbably due to poor interconnects. Do you have a photo of the JBL wiring kit you used. There are a lot of fake JBL kits in the market.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 00:07   #27
BHPian
 
S.I.N.G.H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: new delhi
Posts: 365
Thanked: 31 Times
Default enclosure

navin sir,
now i have decided upon the changes

STAGE 1
1. i am throwing away the woofer box
2. installing a tray
3. installing a small woofer enclosure

STAGE 2
1. changing the front speakers to components
2. changing the amp
3. changing the woofer (not sure about that)

now i need help regarding the dimensions of the box and where can i find it. and should i install MDF tray or the tray kits available for the alto?
S.I.N.G.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:00   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
panky12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,652
Thanked: 126 Times
Default

Very good.. SINGH. Follow this:

STAGE 1
1. i am throwing away the woofer box
2. installing a tray
3. installing a small woofer enclosure (install a 1.5 cu ft sealed box, no more no less)

STAGE 2
1. changing the front speakers to components - Sensible
2. changing the amp - Critical
3. changing the woofer (not sure about that) - You MUST do that.

STAGE 3

1. damp the front doors and boot
2. upgrade your HU
3. upgrade the wiring
4. upgrade the amp
5. upgarde the sub
6. install a mono
7. upgrade
8. upgrade
9. upgrade
.
..
...

so and and so forth.. Welcome to TBhp!


a. now i need help regarding the dimensions of the box : The optimum box dimensions come with the sub manual and its 1.5 cu ft. in your case. DONT go in for readymade boxes rather go to a local carpenter and get the box custom made off MDF board.

b. and where can i find it. : In your locality.

c. should i install MDF tray or the tray kits available for the alto? : MDF tray, local tray kits are bad and they tend to sag over some period of time. MDF should cost you between 250-300.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:09   #29
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,503
Thanked: 3,881 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
1. i am throwing away the woofer box
2. installing a tray
3. installing a small woofer enclosure

STAGE 2
1. changing the front speakers to components
2. changing the amp
3. changing the woofer (not sure about that)
Most pre-fab trays are pathetic. Get a nice MDF or marine grade ply tray made. This tray will be much heavier than the pre-fab tray but will give your speakers a better foundation.

If and when you upgrade the front speakers you migh want to consider some door panel mods to accomodate the woofer.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:51   #30
BHPian
 
Dhar's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: QLN/TRV/DXB
Posts: 342
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

@S.I.N.G.H

With due respect to our Guru's suggestions,

1) Exchange your box, 4" JVC and the 6x9's Sony for a
4" JBL/Infinity coaxial
or
4" Illusion audio component
or
6.5" components in door (all above depending on availability and budget),
2)Get an appropriate sub enclosure,
3)Run front 4" / 6.5" and subwoofer off the amp.
4)Replace interconnects with better ones.
5)Tune properly.

Regards,
Dhar's is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The best Subwoofer Enclosure design HotChillyPepper In-Car Entertainment 19 4th November 2016 14:24
Subwoofer Enclosure - Readymade vs Custom Raja In-Car Entertainment 13 4th December 2010 11:35
For sale: MDF Subwoofer Enclosure nitrous Shifting gears 4 11th September 2007 13:05
Velocity 1200 Watts SUBWOOFER With Enclosure For sale. speedzak Shifting gears 5 18th April 2006 16:46
Subwoofer Enclosure karthik247 In-Car Entertainment 11 12th October 2005 13:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks