Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 31st October 2009, 23:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

I think i20 has only 4 speakers, all door mounted 6"!(citation needed)

Yup! you are right regarding the front speakers!

I'll change the front ones initially and later on the rear ones too!(I kinda like surround effect in music)

(I have 2 rear coax in my M800 and two front components. I feel that majority of sound comes from the rear(maybe coax effect) so thought I'd upgrade the rear ones first in i20)
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 11:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
I have booked i20 Asta(o)

and was just looking to replace the stock component speakers(Rear)

Budget - Approx 10K

Which ones would be best as replacement components?

PS - Don't want any Amp or anything for now!
will do a full ICE overhaul later!
hi can replace the front wit the jbl components - this will fill you. GTO series is good - <5k for a pair.

Once you try this for a while you can step up to rear or so on.
vigneshnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 11:53   #18
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Not sure you have expressed it right:

* Are you sure the i20 comes with components in the rear? If at all, they are usually coax!

* Why would you want to replace rear speakers and not the front? If you will do the driving, and not sit in the back seat, one would expect you to replace the front speakers with better components

* Infinity, JBL, Blaupunkt, Illusion, Bull, ... any of these brands you will be able to get a pair of components AND a pair of coaxes to replace all the stock speakers in the i20
- i20 doesn't come with component speakers.
- I completely agree. I did the same and enjoying it thoroughly
Old 1st November 2009, 12:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
... (I kinda like surround effect in music) ...
If tuned right (don't worry, even you can do it with the Fader in the HU), you will get what you want. If you have been getting rear-heavy sound, quite likely you have speakers of different brands, and possibly your rear speakers have a greater sensitivity (or lesser impedance) as compared to the front components. This will, with Fader at 0, make the rear sound louder.

Are there any stock locations for tweeters in the front? If not, try mounting them at the base of the cladding of the A-pillar. Experiment with angling right and left tweeters towards your ear (on-axis), or the right towards the front passenger's ear and the left towards your ear (off-axis). The off-axis mounting produces a much less bright image.

Good luck!
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 16:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot vigneshnr and DerAlte

Will change the front ones first and experiment with the HU to attain best sound possible!

(yea! my M800 had huge pioneer speakers in the rear and puny Xplods in the front! )
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 12:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

The i20 comes with comps up front and a coax at the rear. I heard that blaupunkt now has a 4ch amp, and an i20 specific connector, so it can be installed with ease. Get that, and a pair of good comps up front. Go for more laid back comps like bull or rainbow, because, stock HU's tend to be bright, and paired with a bright set of comps like JBL, the outcome may not be pleasant.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 16:30   #22
BHPian

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
The i20 comes with comps up front and a coax at the rear. I heard that blaupunkt now has a 4ch amp, and an i20 specific connector, so it can be installed with ease. Get that, and a pair of good comps up front. Go for more laid back comps like bull or rainbow, because, stock HU's tend to be bright, and paired with a bright set of comps like JBL, the outcome may not be pleasant.
hi.. can you tell me - what you mean by bright hu & bright comps ?
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:12   #23

Question Assistance needed on upgrading ICE // i20 CRDI 1.4

Dear friends,
I have joined the forum recently.

I am Sidharth Trehan from Delhi, employed with a shipping company's office in Delhi.

I enjoy easylistening, smooth jazz, ambient, celtic notes ...and also Hip-hop & Rap (Have grown up listening the artists East/West coast artists from US). And also, some bit of Indian classical does me well. Kindly note that there are quite a bit of 'low notes' involved in ambient/celtic and that quite in a way makes/breaks the feel of the song ..if found absolutely missing.

Now, i request you to kindly advise me your suggestions on the basis of following points that could help you

- I am based in Delhi.
- Pls suggest a the outlet/person who is aware of the circuitary of the vehicle and plants the set up in the car, in a way that does not intervene with car's core power lines and power delivery.
- Budget 30-40k.

INTENTIONS:
- The HU will remain as is provided by Hyundai.
- Refinement is any day important than loud noise for me, but within the budget prescribed.
- I was looking to merely install component speakers in the rear tray, as i would usually be in the rear seat with two people in front.
- In the sub, am not looking at THUD THUD ...but thummmmmp thummmmp! the "mmmm" factor is important, if you know what i mean. The frequency should be felt and not be heard. I quite like the RF dual sub in my brother's swift for the pleasing frequency it brings (till i play it my way) ..we share a difference of 12 years hence our priorities in music drastically differ.

I shall wait for any response, before i add on any further details.

Over to friends in here.
Thanks very much in advance for the anticipated help.

Wishes
Sid
trehansid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

1. Don't put components behind you on the rear tray - you will get a wierd image. Instead, put the midbass of the components in the rear doors (not the hatch), and mount the tweeter on the door-pad at a convenient location (tilt the tweeter int he mounting to achieve the best imaging for you in the rear seat)

2. The thud-thud or thummmp-thummmp depends on the tuning of the system (not an inherent property of a sub), and of course what volume you play the systems at. Go for a good Infinity, RF, JL or ID 12" sub in a sealed box. If you don't want to sacrifice boot space, get a fiber-glass enclosure made for one side of the boot (search, there are many threads with pics in the SO&SO section

3. Most of all, listen to as many brands / models before deciding
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 20:13   #25

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. Don't put components behind you on the rear tray - you will get a wierd image. Instead, put the midbass of the components in the rear doors (not the hatch), and mount the tweeter on the door-pad at a convenient location (tilt the tweeter int he mounting to achieve the best imaging for you in the rear seat)

2. The thud-thud or thummmp-thummmp depends on the tuning of the system (not an inherent property of a sub), and of course what volume you play the systems at. Go for a good Infinity, RF, JL or ID 12" sub in a sealed box. If you don't want to sacrifice boot space, get a fiber-glass enclosure made for one side of the boot (search, there are many threads with pics in the SO&SO section

3. Most of all, listen to as many brands / models before deciding

Many thanks for the revert dear friend.
Would certainly hear first, thats the way it goes for sound anyday.

- Thanks for the tip on the placement of the component. i20 has got rear in-door speaker cavities. So what you have suggested can be well placed in mine.

- I intend to go in for a mono supply amp for the sub + an amp for the rest of the drivers. But could limit w.r.t budget.

SUGGESTION NEEDED ON:
A) MONOBLOC AMP FOR THE SUB & ITS APPROX COST
Could you advise a mono amp to run a woofer having specs - 250w/86db/4ohm

B) 4 CHANNEL AMP FOR 4 SPEAKERS

C) ANY PLACE IN DELHI FOR DAMPING & APPROX COST THAT GOES IN THE MARKET.

Thanks a lot
Sid
trehansid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 13:52   #26
BHPian

Hi, i will be getting my i20 crdi by mid of june and so i have started my research on upgrades now itself. About ICE i like to upgrade the speakers alone. OE HU will remain and i am not interested in SUB too.

My confusion is if i should go for components in all four speakers
or
components in front and co-axials in rear
or
vice versa.

I am aware that most team-bhpians will suggest me to go for front components and rear co-axials but i usually feel comfortable with sound coming from rear or not very close to where im seated. Mine will be a self driven car and clarity matters lot to me than loudness. My budget for ICE can be stretched up to Rs 15000.

So experts please suggest me about what i should do.
Harshavarthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:21   #27
BHPian

there's no point in spending 4k for a connector, better to change HU. if however your integrated HU has many other features like parking, nav etc etc.. then you might as well spend 2k extra and get genesis line convertor for around 6-6.5k.

for thumping music with good bass, go for a mono amp dedicated to sub. u can add a 2-channel amp for only front components or 4 channel for both front and rear. and yes, you may need to spend a lil more!

alternatively, you cld just connect speakers fr HU and use a mono for sub, and later on add the 2 or 4ch amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshnr View Post
Hi

I've booked a i20 magna in bangalore. I love thumping music with good bass.

I've a opinion that OE ICE wont be as exciting.. so the dealer suggested some add ons

1. JBL 12" Sub woofer - JBL GT5-1204BR - 10k
2. 4 ch amplifier - JBL GT5-S644 - 5k
3. Connector unit - 4k

(The prices are just indicative)

I'm a complete novice in this matter.
I've some doubts

1. Will this configuration complement the OE system?
2. Is this woofer over powered to shadow the speaker output ?
3. I've taken a 4ch amp - (in case in future i need to use up for better speakers) can i route the output to the OE speakers itself instead of adding any more.
4. Is this connector a necessity ? It is quoted as expensive as a amp.
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:35   #28
BHPian

theory won't help you here, you need to appear for practicals!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshnr View Post
hi.. can you tell me - what you mean by bright hu & bright comps ?
Old 23rd April 2010, 09:57   #29
BHPian

Sorry for going a bit OT here but are the above mentioned line converters available for i10 (for sportz/asta) at all??
Punzabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 16:20   #30
BHPian

line convertors are not specific to car models. harnesses are. line convertor basically takes speaker outs from HU and converts it to RC out, can be used with any car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punzabi View Post
Sorry for going a bit OT here but are the above mentioned line converters available for i10 (for sportz/asta) at all??