Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 9th October 2009, 02:25   #1
BHPian

Default Audison Lrx 2.4, Connection options?

Hi,
Appreciate connection options on the Audison Lrx 2.4. I know its a high power 2 channel amp, but what is the tri - mode connection involved in it and as per this connection what will be the power output.
I have 2 hertz comps that I can comfortably power with this, but If I have a sub, can I do a connection with the same amp?
Thx.
CaliforniaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 10:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

tri-mode is a connection where 2 channels are used normally and a 3rd speaker (usually a subwofoer) is connected across the hot leads of the 2 channels. Since tri-mode puts a lot of strain on the amp's power supply and output circuitry, usually you will need an adapter of some sort to ensure that the amplifier does not dump too much current and shut down (unless ofcourse this is built into the amp).
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 14:26   #3
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
tri-mode is a connection where 2 channels are used normally and a 3rd speaker (usually a subwofoer) is connected across the hot leads of the 2 channels. Since tri-mode puts a lot of strain on the amp's power supply and output circuitry, usually you will need an adapter of some sort to ensure that the amplifier does not dump too much current and shut down (unless ofcourse this is built into the amp).
and also you need a passive crossover device for the sub unless you just use an inductor as a first order filter but IMHO opinion you would need a better slope for a sub so i would recommend building a 12db/oct passive filter for that sub

instead of making something up you could also buy something like this

New Phoenix Gold XVR2 Subwoofer Crossover 250/500 Watts - eBay (item 200312848373 end time Oct-19-09 13:16:54 PDT)

if that listing ends, here is another link to that item

New Phoenix Gold XVR2 Subwoofer Crossover 250/500 Watts

Last edited by naughty001 : 9th October 2009 at 14:43.
naughty001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 14:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty001 View Post
and also you need a passive crossover device for the sub unless you just use an inductor as a first order filter but IMHO opinion you would need a better slope for a sub so i would recommend building a 12db/oct passive filter for that sub

instead of making something up you could also buy something like this

New Phoenix Gold XVR2 Subwoofer Crossover 250/500 Watts - eBay (item 200312848373 end time Oct-19-09 13:16:54 PDT)
+1 to what Navin and Naughty has mentioned, Trimode can be done but for the a good SQ purpose it's usually not suggested.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 17:19   #5
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
+1 to what Navin and Naughty has mentioned, Trimode can be done but for the a good SQ purpose it's usually not suggested.
well it can work for SQ but you will need to experiment with lots of L-Pads to level match the outputs of the speaker drivers

i remember in the days of the competition "cheater amps" one of the best systems i ever heard actually comprised of a headunit linked up to a single 2 channel amplifier which powered the front stage and a pair of subwoofers in tri-mode with some homemade passive crossovers, so it had two tweeters and two midwoofers and two subwoofers all from an amplifier so small that on the face of it was 45 watts x 2 at 4 ohms but it suddenly developed some monster power totalling more than 600 watts in tri-mode (depending on the impedance)

the secret was in the construction of the crossovers and the number of L-pads used and the head unit also had a 15 band EQ which helped a lot but that little system beat most of the complicated active setups at the time (this was in an IASCA competition here in South Africa held around 20 years ago) and it surprised me as well as most of the judges at that competition and eventually ended up winning in its class. At the time i remember thinking too that the system sounded way better than the system that actually won best of show but it did not have much in terms of fancy looks for the install which is why it got fewer points but it was the best sounding thing id ever heard in a car up to then, so i have a lot of respect for tri-mode if it is done correctly
naughty001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 23:18   #6
BHPian

Okay, then I dont want to make things much complex now. I will just power the front comps with this 2 channel and will try and get hold of a mono to power the sub.
Thanks for the information.
Old 9th October 2009, 23:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good. Can you list all your equipment till now??
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 22:19   #8
BHPian

its a very simple setup:
PIO P80 RS2 or Alpine 9886 + Lrx 2.4 + Hertz HSK 165 + damping for the time being.
Old 15th October 2009, 15:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight View Post
its a very simple setup:
PIO P80 RS2 or Alpine 9886 + Lrx 2.4 + Hertz HSK 165 + damping for the time being.
No sub for the time being?
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 18:34   #10
BHPian

not at the moment. change of plans.