Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2008, 12:28   #181
Senior - BHPian
 
hydrashok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my Office
Posts: 2,528
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

@lucifer, the wiring will be more of mess as you increase the number of amps.

1 additional amp = 1 additional power cable, one additional grounding cable and turn-on lead. And a Distribution Block, if you want to reduce the number of wires going out from the battery. Other than the mess from the increase in the number of wires, there is also the extra money spent for more wires and a DB (if one is needed).

A 4-ch amp will serve your needs best here. It will be a cleaner install than two 2-ch amps.

I'm sure the Illusion comps are available in Pune. Pune TBHPians like Moralfibre or Shrivz should be able to help you out. Or you can PM Bass&Trouble (he deals in Illusions).
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 17:48   #182
BHPian
 
great_guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 100
Thanked: 20 Times
Default hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer919 View Post
the reason i want to go for seperate amps for the comps and the ovals is a cleaner install. i have had an install done in my previous car where i had a 4 channel amp used for the fronts and the sub. the wiring turned out to be quite a mess.

what i had in mind was that since the head unit has 3 pre-outs anyways, i can use 1 for the front comps, another for the rear coax and if and when i get a sub, use the third one.

also, wondering if illusion comps are available in Pune and if so where..

Thanks
Do look up my request on this thread to see what I've come up with. I have thought of Blaupunkt GTc 542 components for the front door. I am told that the Illusion components are a lot better than these Blaupunkts but I am not sure I can afford them so am sticking with the Blaupunkts. I am also not in favour of putting oval speakers on the tray because that will lead to rattling sooner or later. I am therefore sticking to basic 4-inch speakers in the stock location just to fill in at the back. To compensate for thhe lack of bass in this configuration, I am looking for a subwoofer and a 2-ch amp to drive it. As an upgrade, you can get a 4-ch amp and use it to power the front components and the subwoofer.

I spoke to Bass&Trouble (Ajay) on the phone yesterday and he suggested a place in Pune where I could audition and buy Illusions. I can tell you the address if you are interested.
great_guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2008, 02:12   #183
BHPian
 
lucifer919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 240
Thanked: 307 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_guns View Post
I can tell you the address if you are interested.
Hey plz do PM with the details if you cannot post them out here. the help will be much appreciated.

Also, i checked te JBL website and it mentioned that the JBL Components do not come with the front covers/ grille for the woofer. could someone tell me if that is so. coz, i was planning on getting 6" components and i dont think the stock grille would cover them and open comps would just suck to have.

The site also had the BassPro. this i think would be a good option as a removable subwoofer (in case i need the additional boot space). do you guys know if it is available around here and if its any good?

Cheers,
Kiran
lucifer919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 23:31   #184
BHPian
 
great_guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 100
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer919 View Post
Hey plz do PM with the details if you cannot post them out here. the help will be much appreciated.


Cheers,
Kiran
I do not have the right to post a PM on this forum yet. The place I mentioned is Poona Motors. Its is in Camp. If you need the exact location, feel free to drop me a line on ganeshrg[at]gmail[dot]com
great_guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 10:44   #185
BHPian
 
Bubby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 497
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Hello

I am due for delivery of my MJD SDX, i just wanted to know will it be a good idea get the rear speakers installed with MDF planks or with a cut in the tray, the stock locations only allow not more then 4-5" inch speakers, so i am planning to install on the tray. In which of the above cases the rattling is less?
Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 22:47   #186
BHPian
 
noidaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Noida
Posts: 994
Thanked: 260 Times
Default

The MDF tray would give a an option of 6x9,If rear speakers are mandatory i think its a good option to use 6x9's instead of 5-6" coax
noidaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 09:04   #187
BHPian
 
Bubby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 497
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Thanks Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
The MDF tray would give a an option of 6x9,If rear speakers are mandatory i think its a good option to use 6x9's instead of 5-6" coax
The planks will be a better option for 6 x 9 but the only thing is, i just dont want any rattles from the tray becuse of the planks. I hope i understand the planks well here, they are wooden planks which are drilled into the original tray and on those planks are the speakers mounted. I hope my understanding of planks is correct?
Also which speakers shall i go in for in 6 x 9 for rear and 5" for front... total budget for 4 speakers ( 2 rear and 2 front ) is 10k to 12k.
Kindly suggest.
Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 10:31   #188
BHPian
 
great_guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 100
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
The planks will be a better option for 6 x 9 but the only thing is, i just dont want any rattles from the tray becuse of the planks. I hope i understand the planks well here, they are wooden planks which are drilled into the original tray and on those planks are the speakers mounted. I hope my understanding of planks is correct?
Also which speakers shall i go in for in 6 x 9 for rear and 5" for front... total budget for 4 speakers ( 2 rear and 2 front ) is 10k to 12k.
Kindly suggest.
I had the same opinion about rattles from the tray. I decided to go in for 5.25' coaxials in the stock location at the rear. I got the Blaupunkt THx 132 in the back and I am impressed with the performance. The performance is better than I expected it to be. It saved me the cutting of the tray and I can be assured that the rattle issue wouldn't be cropping up anytime soon.

Do give it a try before you go in for 6x9s
great_guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 10:39   #189
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
... I hope i understand the planks well here, they are wooden planks which are drilled into the original tray and on those planks are the speakers mounted. I hope my understanding of planks is correct? ...
No, a 'plank' is a piece of MDF which replaces the original tray completely. This is far more rigid than the original tray, and hence chances of rattling are reduced. If the plank is cut to size properly, with a little bit of well placed rubber strips rattling can be completely avoided.

Audtion a few different brands like JBL, Infinity, Blaupunkt, Illusion, etc. before deciding on which speakers to buy.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 11:23   #190
BHPian
 
Bubby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 497
Thanked: 152 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No, a 'plank' is a piece of MDF which replaces the original tray completely. This is far more rigid than the original tray, and hence chances of rattling are reduced. If the plank is cut to size properly, with a little bit of well placed rubber strips rattling can be completely avoided.

Audtion a few different brands like JBL, Infinity, Blaupunkt, Illusion, etc. before deciding on which speakers to buy.
Thanks you so much for the well described description of what a plank is... Finally now i know exactly a MDF plank is... but some how fitting an plank and removing an original piece of tray, is leaving with big question mark. I am totally confused now. I need good bass at low volumes, but in the stock location nothing then a 5" speaker can be fitted in.any suggestions. DerAlte what should i be doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_guns View Post
I had the same opinion about rattles from the tray. I decided to go in for 5.25' coaxials in the stock location at the rear. I got the Blaupunkt THx 132 in the back and I am impressed with the performance. The performance is better than I expected it to be. It saved me the cutting of the tray and I can be assured that the rattle issue wouldn't be cropping up anytime soon.

Do give it a try before you go in for 6x9s
Does Blaupunkt THx 132 gives good bass at low volumes, what have stocked in front, how much did Blaupunkt THx 132 costed you. I am my a bit too apprehensive about cutting the tray and stock locations are good enough for not more then 5".
Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2008, 17:56   #191
BHPian
 
nura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 585
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
but some how fitting an plank and removing an original piece of tray, is leaving with big question mark. I am totally confused now.
The MDF plank is usually maneuvered into position to give a tight fit. There are no nuts, bolts or screws to fix. The original tray can be removed after opening some screws & nuts. You always have the option of removing the MDF plank & refitting the original tray, e.g. when you are selling the car.
nura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 11:55   #192
BHPian
 
Bubby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 497
Thanked: 152 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
The MDF plank is usually maneuvered into position to give a tight fit. There are no nuts, bolts or screws to fix. The original tray can be removed after opening some screws & nuts. You always have the option of removing the MDF plank & refitting the original tray, e.g. when you are selling the car.
Thank you so much for the inputs on the MDF plank fittment procedure, by looking at this, rattling shouldnt be an issue with a plank as there are no screws or nuts which will get loose. So i feel i would go for a Plank. Suggestions please.
Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2008, 00:36   #193
BHPian
 
great_guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 100
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Does Blaupunkt THx 132 gives good bass at low volumes, what have stocked in front, how much did Blaupunkt THx 132 costed you. I am my a bit too apprehensive about cutting the tray and stock locations are good enough for not more then 5".
As I said, I expected there to be negligible bass when I installed the THx 132 at the back. So I decided to buy an amp+subwoofer and add it to the setup when I had money. After I got the installation done, I was pleasantly surprised to note that the bass was good enough. It obviously didnt match what a subwoofer could give me but it was way better than I had expected. I'd say it didn't sound much worse than 6x9s. The fact that I wasn't messing with the tray gave me a bit more peace of mind too. You can look up the Blaupunkt toll-free number on their website and call to know all details including price.

I'm not really an audiophile but see this is how it goes - if it sounds good to me, it IS good - regardless of what anyone else says or feels. I think the same applies to you. Like all the gurus here say, get a demo in your own car and decide for yourself. Most installers will be happy to get the 3-4 alternatives that you've thought and connect them one after the other in the car to let you have a good listen and compare. They won't really fix them up in the provided locations but they would just connect them and keep them in the car and you can have a rough idea of how it sounds. Do the demo! Thats the most important thing you need to do.
great_guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 08:00   #194
BHPian
 
Bubby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 497
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Thanks Great Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_guns View Post
As I said, I expected there to be negligible bass when I installed the THx 132 at the back. So I decided to buy an amp+subwoofer and add it to the setup when I had money. After I got the installation done, I was pleasantly surprised to note that the bass was good enough. It obviously didnt match what a subwoofer could give me but it was way better than I had expected. I'd say it didn't sound much worse than 6x9s.
Your inputs on the case are really thoughtful, even I just dont want disturb the original set up, i will try the THx 132 with few others of the same size. I think the stock locations at the front as well as at the rear can hold the same size of speakers, if the case is so, then can THx 132 be installed at all 4 locations or for that matter any other speakers of the same size.
Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 18:43   #195
BHPian
 
great_guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 100
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

You're right. The 5.25 inch speakers can be fitted in the front as well as the rear locations. You can install the same set in the front as well as the back. I would suggest you get the components THc 132 in the front though. The components have separate tweeters and the sound quality is slightly better when you use components. The Palio (top end model) comes with a stock location for tweeters as well so you dont have to make any modifications to that either. The stock location for tweeters is just below the door mirror adjustment joystick.
great_guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ICE ICE baby. Punto"ICE"fied Soccerfan In-Car Entertainment 45 10th March 2012 21:40
ICE ICE Baby!!!!!!!!(Swift ICE) scarlet.fever In-Car Entertainment 21 23rd September 2009 20:25
Facelifted Palio?????? A completely new PALIO on the way!!!! redcandle The Indian Car Scene 14 7th May 2006 01:42
Palio 1.2 NV or Palio 1.9 D pmishra Hatchbacks 3 4th November 2004 19:10
Palio NV slower than the older Palio? DCEite The Indian Car Scene 2 13th October 2004 00:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks