Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 18th February 2010, 14:44   #226
Senior - BHPian

i think the rear wires are connected to the the port which connects the front speakers. did you try and check the balance L-R?

Edit: there is an amplifier as well! so the speakers must be connected to the amp??

Last edited by planet_rocker : 18th February 2010 at 14:45.
planet_rocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 15:46   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@bottle, which HU do you have? What else is there in your ICE?
Heres my ice config
  • Head-Unit : Clarion Cz309
  • Amplifier : Blaupunkt GTA4 Special Mk II
  • Fronts : Blaupunkt THc 542 Component
  • Rears : Blaupunkt BGc 693 6"x9"
  • Wiring : Audison Power Kit and RCA
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
i think the rear wires are connected to the the port which connects the front speakers. did you try and check the balance L-R?

Edit: there is an amplifier as well! so the speakers must be connected to the amp??
Yes speakers are hooked up to the amp. L-R is fine. I have tested it before and didnt have this problem. Not sure if something went awry during the cars service or whether the HU has gone screwy.

Last edited by bottle : 18th February 2010 at 15:47.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 10:03   #228
Senior - BHPian

Just a hunch (since CZ309 has 3 pre-outs) - just check if the rear volume goes up and down when you increase/decrease Sub volume from the menu. If so, the rear channel RCA cables (going to amp) are connected to the Sub-out RCA sockets. No fault of the HU or the amp - the fader is doing it's job (just that the correct output is not being used), and the amp does not bother about volume control - it just amplifies whatever signal is given to it.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 11:43   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Amplifier : Blaupunkt GTA4 Special Mk II
I had a similar problem some time back. On my Focal AMP that is connected to the front/rear speakers, there is a fader switch. In one of the fader switch position, I faced a similar problem. I might be wrong but neverthless just take a look at it and see if it solves your problem.
drvhplyevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 18:20   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Just a hunch (since CZ309 has 3 pre-outs) - just check if the rear volume goes up and down when you increase/decrease Sub volume from the menu. If so, the rear channel RCA cables (going to amp) are connected to the Sub-out RCA sockets. No fault of the HU or the amp - the fader is doing it's job (just that the correct output is not being used), and the amp does not bother about volume control - it just amplifies whatever signal is given to it.
looks like you put the finger on it, adjusting the sub volume reduced volume of the rear speakers.. so looks like its just been hooked up to the wrong pre out

Thanks DerAlte
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 16:39   #231
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Its long time since i thought of reworking the ICE in my Palio. The current one is a 6 year old Sony MP3 CD Reciever, Sony XPLOD 6X9 rear, Sony XPLOD 5 1/4 front, Pioneer tweeter (if i remember correctly).

Front speakers are already gone, only one side works that too once in a while. Head unit started giving problems, rarely read disks and offcourse no USB option at all. Have been living last few months with FM only.

Need to upgrade the HU with a reasonable but decent one and a pair of components if its highly recommended over coax. This would be my primary list, if budget allows might go for a phase 2 addition hence would prefer the new HU should be scalable incase of an amp to drive components and a sub/rear.

Please suggest.
jacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:03   #232
BHPian

WoW Din't know this thread existed. I guess part and parcel of being a noob!

Even I need to upgrade the 5 year old ICE setup on my Palio. Trying to wrap it all up in under 20K, I hope it would be possible to get a decent setup here in Bangalore!

Keeping tabs of this thread from now!
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 11:07   #233
BHPian

Guy's my Palio's 5 year old Sony Xplod is getting boring. It's got not USB inputs and the front speakers are barely working. The rear speakers are just about ok.

I usually listen to everything from latest pop, hip hop to trance to bollywood stuff. And I don't usually listen to music at very high volumes. Its usually set from Low to Mid levels.

I need something that takes USB input and the USB input should *not* be on the front panel as while using the wiper stick or any other buttons on the central console the hand might hit the USB stick and lead to breakage.

My budget is around 15K. Can pool in more if required.
Old 12th April 2010, 23:12   #234
Senior - BHPian

Alpine 9886 can be sourced for ~ 12.5k - 13k.
Its got rear usb and its alpine

For 17k, you'll get the latest Alpine 117 (burr brown DAC for USB, Time alignment, etc)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ine-117-a.html
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 23:20   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Alpine 9886 can be sourced for ~ 12.5k - 13k.
Its got rear usb and its alpine

For 17k, you'll get the latest Alpine 117 (burr brown DAC for USB, Time alignment, etc)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ine-117-a.html
But then these options don't leave much options for the speakers!!! :(

Any other lighter on the pocket options?
Old 12th April 2010, 23:50   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
But then these options don't leave much options for the speakers!!! :(

Any other lighter on the pocket options?

While taking into account the preferred volume & the given budget, I'd suggest a Pioneer HU with rear USB for around 6-7K (Grey) & Bull Audio Components for the front and Co-axial's for the rear (8-9k with B&W)
maglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 11:24   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
While taking into account the preferred volume & the given budget, I'd suggest a Pioneer HU with rear USB for around 6-7K (Grey) & Bull Audio Components for the front and Co-axial's for the rear (8-9k with B&W)
+1 to it

I had a similar budget for my Palio. This is what i went for:

HU: Pioneer 5050UB (has rear USB with AUX port too)
Front Spk: Illusion Audio 6.5' Component speakers
Rear Spk: JBL 947 6x9 coaxials

Sounds perfect with enough bass and vocals. Didn't felt to get a amp. Rear speakers does the most of the job than the front due to absence of amp. Got it within 20k

Next Upgrade will be a 4 Channel AMP to get the 100% out of the Component speakers
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 11:32   #238
BHPian

^^ Do you remember how much you paid for the HU, Components and CoAxial separately?

Last edited by praful : 13th April 2010 at 11:33.
Old 13th April 2010, 11:41   #239
Senior - BHPian

My car has a Pioneer 5150UB (grey, 9K), JBL 608C (components, B&W, around 7K) and Pioneer 4 inch rear speakers in stock location.

We have these in our family car - Pioneer 3190UB (around 6K, grey) and JBL GT5 S265 (coaxials around 4K, B&W)

why don't you use that wire thingy to connect the HU to the stick?

PS: how did you manage only 2,700 Kms in your Palio in all these years?

Last edited by planet_rocker : 13th April 2010 at 11:44.
planet_rocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 11:47   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
My car has a Pioneer 5150UB (grey, 9K), JBL 608C (components, B&W, around 7K) and Pioneer 4 inch rear speakers in stock location.

We have these in our family car - Pioneer 3190UB (around 6K, grey) and JBL GT5 S265 (coaxials around 4K, B&W)

why don't you use that wire thingy to connect the HU to the stick?

PS: how did you manage only 2,700 Kms in your Palio in all these years?
Thanks for the info on the prices. This data will help me when Im out there in the market bargaining for stuff!

I want to avoid any kind of protrusions from the HU, call me Paranoid Android but I feel its kindda risky and much safer to have a rear input.

I am the second owner of my Palio. I've clocked 3K kms now, the previous owner had done 20K. So overall the Palio is at 23xxx kms now

EDIT: How much would I have to bump up my budget if I want to include a sub in the setup? I was re-evaluating my music choice vs playing volume. And Bass is definitely on a 'High' level. But if nearly (75%) of the sub effect can be replicated via suitable CoAxials then I don't mind ditching the Sub idea!

Last edited by praful : 13th April 2010 at 11:51.