Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 13th April 2010, 12:29   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
^^ Do you remember how much you paid for the HU, Components and CoAxial separately?
Praful, my setup was bought in end of 2008 so prices now will vary.

Pioneer 5050UB: 6500
Illusion Audio 6.5' Component speakers: 6500
JBL 947 6x9 coaxials: 3700

Rest cost were MDF board, labor charges and wiring.

Adding a sub might cost you anywhere from 5k to anything above. If adding a sub along with a front component speaker then you can exclude the Rear speakers as it will not make any difference keepin both if you are the driver is the most listener of music.
In that case, you will also need to add a 4 ch Amplifier too. Aaah there goes a bump on your budget

Note, different shops will quote you different prices as per their margin. Get it done from a good authorized installer to avoid fake products and warranty issues.
rudrah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 13:28   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Adding a sub might cost you anywhere from 5k to anything above. If adding a sub along with a front component speaker then you can exclude the Rear speakers as it will not make any difference keepin both if you are the driver is the most listener of music.
In that case, you will also need to add a 4 ch Amplifier too. Aaah there goes a bump on your budget
Thanks for the prices info. Might go window shopping this weekend. I'm in no hurry to setup the ICE, will take my time to get the best deal possible.

Just another noob koshun, if I get a Sub+Amp I actually don't need the rear Co-Axials?
Why is that?
And then maybe I can retain the current Xplod Co-Axials?
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 18:02   #243
Senior - BHPian

no harm in retaining the coaxs you can drive them through the HU (with 3 Pre-outs) - the amp will take care of the front speakers and sub.
planet_rocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 18:11   #244
BHPian

Yup, its no mandatory to have no rear speakers if you have a sub. Personally I feel it doesnt makes sense if most of the time you are driving the car(if you have component speakers in front). Also It kinda be too loud to the ears for people sittin behind. You can test with and without the rear and see how difference it makes to you. Sound to ears differ with all
rudrah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 11:09   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
no harm in retaining the coaxs you can drive them through the HU (with 3 Pre-outs) - the amp will take care of the front speakers and sub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Yup, its no mandatory to have no rear speakers if you have a sub. Personally I feel it doesnt makes sense if most of the time you are driving the car(if you have component speakers in front). Also It kinda be too loud to the ears for people sittin behind. You can test with and without the rear and see how difference it makes to you. Sound to ears differ with all
I was thinking about it, and just realized that I might need some extra boot space at times and would need to disconnect the Sub. If I don't have Rear's then I'll be at a huge loss.

Bah! Perplexing and money draining situation this....
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 11:21   #246
Senior - BHPian

even if you have a BIG sub it is easy to disconnect the sub and keep it at home - thanks to 'speak-on??' connectors. like i said, no harm in keeping the rear speakers
Old 14th April 2010, 11:58   #247
Senior - BHPian

@Praful:
For a 15-20K budget, would suggest the following:

HU: Pioneer, Kenwood and JVC have options for around 8-9K which meet your requirements (the Pio 4190SD MP3 and Kenwood 6043 come to mind, though I don't know if these have been replaced by newer models). I've used the 6043 and it's a good VFM HU with good features.

Fronts: Go for 6.5" component speakers. Several options here, like Hertz Deici, Illusion Electra, Boston S60 etc. Prices would range between 5 and 6.5K.

Rear: Since you already have coaxials, you can upgrade these. I am not sure what size/shape coaxes you currently have, but there are several options in 6.5" (round) or 6" x 9" speakers. Preferably match the coaxes with your front compos - i.e, buy the same brand, to get a similar kind of sound. Costs will range between 2.5 and 4K.

Note: I am assuming you will be in the front seat most of the time. If you'll be in the rear seat, would suggest fitting the components in the back and coaxials up front.

So that's a total cost of 15 - 20K. Run everything off the HU for now. The quality of sound will be miles ahead of your existing setup. A good HU, coupled with good components and coaxial speakers can work wonders. I have tried out similar setups in a Santro and an i10, and it worked out well for me.

Add an amp in the future and run your speakers off it. Will take the sound to the next level. At this point, if you feel the need for a sub, go for it. While a set of coaxials can never replace a sub, good quality ones satisfy the musical needs of many (especially in hatchbacks). This would depend completely on you.

All the best. Have fun upgrading

Last edited by razor4077 : 14th April 2010 at 12:00.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 10:02   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
@Praful:
Fronts: Go for 6.5" component speakers.
Does Palio support 6.5" speakers on front doors without alteration? I thought it supports only 5.25" is supported and hence found very less choice if one want to retain the stock fittings.
jacs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 10:27   #249
Senior - BHPian

Most 6.5" Speakers are difficult to fit without alterations on a Palio, 5.25" is a better bet if you not looking at any changes at all.
blueraven316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 10:44   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
Most 6.5" Speakers are difficult to fit without alterations on a Palio, 5.25" is a better bet if you not looking at any changes at all.
Thanks a lot for the clarification. Could you please help with the components options available in 5.25" with approximate cost. It would be really helpful for Palio guys.
Old 16th April 2010, 21:31   #251
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Any idea on Clarion CZ200 which has rear USB? My friend is coming from US next week and trying to source one if price is attracive.
Old 8th July 2010, 16:48   #252
BHPian

Default Need help - Palio Stile HU not working

Y'day morning while driving I heard 'tup' sound. First I thought that some object had fallen on my windshield and broke. But it was not the case.

The HU (JVC) had gone off. I did a reset but still it's not working.
Evening I checked the fuse panel and was not able to find a blown fuse. Also not able to make out which is the fuse for HU. The manual is not clear.

Any advice?
ch.nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 17:45   #253
Senior - BHPian

The HU should have a fuse attached at the back - you need to pull out the HU to gain access to the HU fuse.
Old 9th July 2010, 19:39   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
The HU should have a fuse attached at the back - you need to pull out the HU to gain access to the HU fuse.
Just now checked the Fuse behind the HU. But it's fine.

Donno what else to check. Maybe I will have to take it to the service station tomorrow.
Old 13th July 2010, 11:11   #255
BHPian

Update:

Took it to the service station and checked all fuses and electricals - but no problems.
Was advised to take it to the ICE service centre.

Handed over the HU and the deck to the JVC service centre at Koramangala and awaiting response.

Have been driving without music for almost a week now. :-(