Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 25th October 2009, 14:15   #1
BHPian

Default ICEing the Punto

You guys been helping me out on a lot of things and when it came to iceing my punto, I thought to myself "Where else".

I have a 1.3 MJD EP Punto. I want to keep the HU stock, mostly because of the Blue and Me. And underneath is what my ICE guy said I would need. Could you guys please tell me if I am on the right track. As for the music, I listen to most stuff ranging from Indian Instrumental to Hip hop. I would like some clean music and not too much treble, but definitely some bass.

I can up the budget to about 80K if requred.

1 No High-Low Input - 2500
1 No Pyle Crossover PLX R8 - 4800
1 No DLS CA 51 Amp - 24000
1 set Morel 6 “ Comp - 9500
1 set Mtx 6 ” Co-axial - 4000
1 No Sub Auditor - 7900
1 No Sub Encloser - 2500
5 Sets RC Cable Stinger - 5000
Woofer Wire - 500
Wooter (D) Pin - 650
Speaker Wire - 600
Speaker Ring - 750
Door Pad Dharmacoal - 450
Main Wires & Fuse - 2500
Labour - 1200

Total Amount 66850

Thanks a ton in advance.

Note from Team BHP support: Please do not use an external editor - font & color tags are not processed while displaying and reduce readability of the post

Last edited by DerAlte : 25th October 2009 at 16:21. Reason: Font tags removed
ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 16:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

1. What is the 'Pyle crossover' for? The components come with cross-overs by default

2. Which sub is that? Not very well known, so double check, since is not quite cheap according to your list

3. (The word is Thermocol, not Dharmacoal) Why would you use Thermocol in the doorpad? If you don't want to spend on conventional damping sheets, use Closed-cell foam

4. Your selection sounds good but we hope you have auditioned the components, the coax and the sub called "Auditor", as well as other brands
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 17:20   #3
BHPian

Please do try and update us with WIP pics once the equipment is finalised and the install begins.
Sounds like the sub is more popular in the home theatre set-up rather than car audio. That is if he was referring to the Sonus Faber range.
First time I have come across using thermocol for damping.
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 18:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ridicoulosly expensive accesories.. Speaker rings/Woofer wire, Pin etc.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 19:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
... First time I have come across using thermocol for damping.
Thermocol can be used if judiciously placed - needs to be jammed / pressed in between 2 surfaces to damp out vibrations in either. One normally uses it in hatch or boot lid only, but some installers do it in door pads also.

2 major disadvantages:
* Deteriorates over time (crumbles when the plasticiser evaporates) so one is left with a pile of small white balls that float around everywhere inside
* Won't work if glued to one surface only - too less dense to achieve effective surface damping
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 19:59   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Ridicoulosly expensive accesories.. Speaker rings/Woofer wire, Pin etc.
It was actually a quote given to me by my audio guy and i just cut and paste it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Please do try and update us with WIP pics once the equipment is finalised and the install begins.
Sounds like the sub is more popular in the home theatre set-up rather than car audio. That is if he was referring to the Sonus Faber range.
First time I have come across using thermocol for damping.
I hadnt specifically asked for thermocol.Once you guys help me figure this setup out, then I am going for it the very next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. What is the 'Pyle crossover' for? The components come with cross-overs by default

According to the audio dude, The crossover is a seperate set and is to be used to cut the bass from the speakers and supply it to the sub.Also it has a gain control for the sub, which can fit inside and you could play around with the level of bass.

2. Which sub is that? Not very well known, so double check, since is not quite cheap according to your list

I am informed it is a brand from FOCAL.

3. (The word is Thermocol, not Dharmacoal) Why would you use Thermocol in the doorpad? If you don't want to spend on conventional damping sheets, use Closed-cell foam

Again, I hadnt specified anything to this guy except some clean sound. This is what he recommended. I just need good damping. Please suggest the right material for it.

4. Your selection sounds good but we hope you have auditioned the components, the coax and the sub called "Auditor", as well as other brands
Frankly I havent yet listened to any of them. And I know I am supposed to too. But since the gurus have listened to tons of them, I would be quite happy to go with your experience. Also I am open to any changes that has to be made in my list.
Old 25th October 2009, 20:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Thermocol can be used if judiciously placed - needs to be jammed / pressed in between 2 surfaces to damp out vibrations in either. One normally uses it in hatch or boot lid only, but some installers do it in door pads also.

2 major disadvantages:
* Deteriorates over time (crumbles when the plasticiser evaporates) so one is left with a pile of small white balls that float around everywhere inside
* Won't work if glued to one surface only - too less dense to achieve effective surface damping

Thank you sir. As usual some pearls of wisdom
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 20:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK Auditor is a brand of Focal-JMlab
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 00:57   #9
BHPian

Default Re: ICEing the Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
It was actually a quote given to me by my audio guy and i just cut and paste it here.
Rebin, just noticed this post now. Did you finally get this ICE done ?

Btw, Dharmacoal was hillarious !
autotranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 08:17   #10
BHPian

Default Re: ICEing the Punto

ACtually I did set it up. But most or none of the main list came in. Used a Bit One so I didnt have to change my HU. Audison components and coaxial for the speakers and audison amps too. HAvent really fixed up the sub yet. I have an MTX one.