Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:49   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
gigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,321
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

I could not figure out how the diode across the contactor is going to help. during starting the contactor is not going to close anyways. The second battery is isolated from starting circuit unless forced with the momentary switch.
gigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 10:28   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 73
Thanked: Once
Default

Apologize for the off topic post

I was wondering where to get the Redarc solenoid (dual battery charge controller) in Bangalore- or is it best to get from Australia direct.

RGDS
Irfan
Irfanulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 14:16   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 1,006 Times
Default

Hi folks,
Just went through the posts. Here is an interesting link Hellroaring Technologies, inc., Manufacturer of Solid State Dual Battery Isolator / Combiners. with a diagram Hellroaring Battery Isolator/Combiner notes for 4 Wheel Drive dual battery applications

From what I understand, dual battery setup acts as follows
1. Both the batteries are isolated from each other
2. Relays ensure that the primary battery caters to starting and nominal vehicle load. Secondary battery caters to all the appliance loads
3. In case of the main battery failing, circuit can switch to auxiliary battery for starting.

There are two types of isolators
1. Diode based. These are trouble free but suffer from voltage drop, and resultant heat build up. In case the diodes go bad, there is no isolation.
2. Coil Relay based. These are more complicated, but suffer no voltage drop, or heat build up.

One thing emphasized every where is that if you require dual batteries, please re calculate the total load and upgrade the alternator accordingly. People often forget to account for high power amp, multiple lights and refrigerator (if there) while calculating load. There should be 20-30% margin while sizing the alternator to ensure that the alternator has ample reserves to charge batteries under full user load.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 10:08   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 922
Thanked: 378 Times
Default Re: Dual Battery setup - proposed

Just a noob question: Wouldn't high power capacitors serve the same purpose with easier maintenance and longer life? I was thinking of something like the ones given in this link.

Quote:
http://www.squidoo.com/caraudiocapacitor
What is the main role of a car audio capacitor?
Unlike automobile batteries, the main function of an audio capacitor is to store energy. This stored power will be used on demand (when your amp needs it). This will ensure that your audio system is being used to its maximum capability.
How do I know that I need an audio capacitor?
The first thing you will notice is dimming lights. The light will get weaker each time a heavy bass note sounds. If you installed the right capacitor, your audio system would have received the right amount of power needed.
5+ Farad Capacitors | Car Audio Capacitors at Sonic Electronix

Last edited by jinojohnt : 30th July 2012 at 10:14.
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 08:21   #20
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,509
Thanked: 3,885 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt
Just a noob question: Wouldn't high power capacitors serve the same purpose with easier maintenance and longer life? I was thinking of something like the ones given in this link.

5+ Farad Capacitors | Car Audio Capacitors at Sonic Electronix
1. All amplifiers have internal capacitors which in well designed amplifiers should be adequate for the audio needs.

2. If you are faced with dimming lights it means your alternator is not charging your battery as fast as the appliances are discharging it.

3. If you are faced with a drop in the music it is usually because battery's voltage has dropped below the amplifier's threshold operating voltage ( see thread by GTO on his Civic's system). In the Civic for example the alternator is not permitted to charge the battery till's voltage has dropped to 11V ( this is a Civic issue).

A capacitor will resolve the dimming lights but check why the lights are dimming in the first place. To resolve the audio drop it make better sense to get amplifiers with lower threshold operating voltage. GTO for example switched from amps with a threshold of 11.5V to 10V.

Dual battery systems make sense when you have competition level audio systems like LBM has. They are complicated and required regular maintenance. I run 3 STEG amps in my system. There is no need for a capacitor or multiple batteries.

Unless the car you have has electronic control over the battery like the above mentioned Civic, you alternator should charge the battery adequately and you should not see dimming lights. A capacitor is often just a band aid. Getting a correctly speed alternator and fresh battery ( old batteries often do not charge properly) might be a more correct solution.
navin is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 20:38   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
wanderernomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 2,390
Thanked: 786 Times
Default Re: Dual Battery setup - proposed

Sorry for bumping up an old thread but I need to do a dual battery install and am not sure as how to go about it. It seems a lot of people abroad who go off road into wilderness do a dual battery set up. I checked on amazon.com and ebay.com that battery isolators are commonly available. However, couldnot find similar products here.
My purpose is to have a dual battery to accomodate a second battery in the jeep trailer. The primary battery in the engine bay will be used only for the heater and engine cranking while i plan to use this second battery for the charging and lighting in the trailer.
How to go about it? Suggestions/ pointers/ leads ?
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 10:05   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 1,006 Times
Default Re: Dual Battery setup - proposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Sorry for bumping up an old thread but I need to do a dual battery install and am not sure as how to go about it. It seems a lot of people abroad who go off road into wilderness do a dual battery set up. I checked on amazon.com and ebay.com that battery isolators are commonly available. However, couldnot find similar products here.
My purpose is to have a dual battery to accomodate a second battery in the jeep trailer. The primary battery in the engine bay will be used only for the heater and engine cranking while i plan to use this second battery for the charging and lighting in the trailer.
How to go about it? Suggestions/ pointers/ leads ?
You will first need to upgrade your alternator to a much larger capacity one, say 150 Amps or more. In case there is no space for a larger alternator, then a second one dedicated for your trailer will have to be installed. All depends on the space available in the engine bay.

Apart from a more powerful alternator, you will need battery isolator and of course space for the second battery.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 00:07   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
wanderernomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 2,390
Thanked: 786 Times
Default Re: Dual Battery setup - proposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
You will first need to upgrade your alternator to a much larger capacity one, say 150 Amps or more. In case there is no space for a larger alternator, then a second one dedicated for your trailer will have to be installed. All depends on the space available in the engine bay.

Apart from a more powerful alternator, you will need battery isolator and of course space for the second battery.
I seem to have a spare groove in the pulley to fit another alternator as well, so if I install a second alternator then I dont need a battery isolator? I intend to fit the spare battery in the rear of the jeep by using longer wires or if it will lead to voltage drops then will find a way to mount it in the engine bay itself.

Are voltage isolators available in India and if yes is it the correct term to use if I go hunting for them?
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 10:41   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 1,006 Times
Default Re: Dual Battery setup - proposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
I seem to have a spare groove in the pulley to fit another alternator as well, so if I install a second alternator then I dont need a battery isolator? I intend to fit the spare battery in the rear of the jeep by using longer wires or if it will lead to voltage drops then will find a way to mount it in the engine bay itself.

Are voltage isolators available in India and if yes is it the correct term to use if I go hunting for them?
1. If you use longer wires, then you will have to use thicker gauge. The guide to wire sizing is there in most cable manufacturer's sites. Just remember to choose a thicker gauge than recommended as the wires will heat up in enclosed space.

2. Voltage isolators are just high power diodes with low voltage drop. They are generally mounted on substantial heat sinks for cooling. A location where there will be constant air flow is advantageous.

here are some useful links
http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/dual_bat.htm
https://www.redarc.com.au/battery-ch...tery-isolators
http://www.powerstream.com/battery-isolator.htm
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 17:02   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
wanderernomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 2,390
Thanked: 786 Times
Default Re: Dual Battery setup - proposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
1. If you use longer wires, then you will have to use thicker gauge. The guide to wire sizing is there in most cable manufacturer's sites. Just remember to choose a thicker gauge than recommended as the wires will heat up in enclosed space.

2. Voltage isolators are just high power diodes with low voltage drop. They are generally mounted on substantial heat sinks for cooling. A location where there will be constant air flow is advantageous.

here are some useful links
http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/dual_bat.htm
https://www.redarc.com.au/battery-ch...tery-isolators
http://www.powerstream.com/battery-isolator.htm
Thanks for the links. But any Local link from where these can be bought or I have to source from outside only?
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DUAL SUB SETUP, any suggestions? GT500 In-Car Entertainment 6 8th November 2010 13:43
Help in dual monitor setup revvedup Gadgets, Computers & Software 35 20th October 2010 20:23
Battery question - Can I use Indica Spec Battery in Scorpio, or other such swaps? shekharlele Technical Stuff 18 7th September 2010 09:05
Using a battery tender to revive discharged battery xxaarraa Technical Stuff 2 14th May 2008 19:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks