Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2009, 09:58   #16
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjNik View Post
Seeing that you are having problems with your HU i would suggest the first thing you should upgrade to is a Kenwood/pioneer HU.
Opps I did not see that. Yes if your HU is giving problems lets change that first. That leave only 10K for the rest of the upgrade. You might still be able to get a decent pair of entry level coax in the front and a entry level subwoofer from JBL or GZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adishenoy View Post
The current woofer and the amp I have, has no effect on the output until the headunit is kept at about 50% volume.(15-18 out of 34).
Quote:
Originally Posted by adishenoy View Post
There is no bass,no thump until the vol is at 50%
turn up the gains on the amp and see if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adishenoy View Post
AFAIK its a sealed enclosure, but the amp is underpowered(according to my uncle). First the sub was on the parcel tray but now its in an enclosure.
Free air subs need less power to achieve the same SPL as a sealed box sub but your sub is designed for a sealed box and will give better quality of bass in a sealed box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adishenoy View Post
But can my Sony 2 channel amp power the JBL sub??
Yes. More power is better but the current amp will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
If your total budget for ALL steps is 15k, then you buy a HU for 5-6k (with 2 or 3 preouts) and front components (5-6k). Check if you need to replace wiring, else the remaining 2-3k can be safely invested in a subwoofer.
A sub for 2-3K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adishenoy View Post
I'm checking the prices of the HU's tomorrow. What brands should I be on the lookout for?
Also, what should my new set up be like?(Hu+Comps+Amp+Sub)
Note: If a complete overhaul is advisable, I'm ready to throw out the trash. []
Relax.

HU: JVC is a VFM brand. Pio and Kenwood are the other options.
Speakers: JBL, GZ, Illusion, Blaupunkt, and also try Bull Audio (never heard it but there have been a few good reviews on TBHP) my guess is that JBL's GT5 series will suit your needs (pocket book) best.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 11:14   #17
BHPian
 
DjNik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 340
Thanked: Once
Default

You should get the following-
Kenwood 5539(5k)
Jbl Gt5 S265(5k)/Any other components you like in this price range
Jbl CS 1215+ported eclosure(5k)

Get the above mentioned equipment and ou will fell a lot of improvement, besides set the gains properly on your amp for a better response from your sub.
DjNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 15:00   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 393
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjNik View Post
You should get the following-
Kenwood 5539(5k)
Jbl Gt5 S265(5k)/Any other components you like in this price range
Jbl CS 1215+ported eclosure(5k)

Get the above mentioned equipment and ou will fell a lot of improvement
Yeah this seems a good start. But you might want to add in 4-ch amp (5k) at a later stage, to power your front speakers AND your subwoofer- total damages will be about 7-8k (including wiring). You could substract the resale price of your amp from this number (provided you find a buyer for the same )

Navin I think I read somewhere that an entry level JBL sub (some CS12xxx types) is available for 3k. Please correct me if wrong.

Last edited by greenh0rn : 12th November 2009 at 15:01.
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 15:25   #19
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
total damages will be about 7-8k (including wiring). You could substract the resale price of your amp from this number
Navin I think I read somewhere that an entry level JBL sub (some CS12xxx types) is available for 3k. Please correct me if wrong.
Greenie,

I too read about that JBL woofer price but I dont think that price is commonly available. I am NOT uptodate with woofer prices and models. What to do yaar, for someone who has actually seen a JBL D130 (I think even Sam has not seen this driver) the constant change in speaker prices and models gets pretty daunting.

Adi,
When you get a 4ch. amp, if you cant resell your amp you can always use it to power the rear speakers.

Last edited by navin : 12th November 2009 at 15:27.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 16:57   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 393
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
What to do yaar, for someone who has actually seen a JBL D130 (I think even Sam has not seen this driver) the constant change in speaker prices and models gets pretty daunting.
Wow Navin, you are talking about this driver that was used back in '40s and 50s!!

1947 JBL D130 Loudspeaker | Mix Inducts the JBL D130 Loudspeaker into the TECnology Hall of Fame

Here is a better link to know the true history - D130

Haha we are babies in front of you, both literally (age wise) and figuratively (in ICE knowledge)

Last edited by greenh0rn : 12th November 2009 at 17:04. Reason: Added a second link
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 17:08   #21
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Well I did not know the speaker was bron in 1947. The versions I saw were in the late 60s. They were made in 1957 or 58 I think but I saw them after they were 10 years old or so. When is the last time you seen the same audio product continue to be made for 10+ years?

THis is the speaker I am talking about. I am not very good with google so this is the bet I cold come up with. Sorry.
D130

Edit: Oops you posted the link before I did!

Last edited by navin : 12th November 2009 at 17:16.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 21:02   #22
BHPian
 
adishenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 61
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Yeah this seems a good start. But you might want to add in 4-ch amp (5k) at a later stage, to power your front speakers AND your subwoofer- total damages will be about 7-8k (including wiring). You could substract the resale price of your amp from this number (provided you find a buyer for the same )

Navin I think I read somewhere that an entry level JBL sub (some CS12xxx types) is available for 3k. Please correct me if wrong.
I already have Monster Cables,do i need to do the wiring again.
My current headunit is a 2RCA with rear sub switchable.So should i go for a 3RCA headunit or 2 RCA.I'll check the gains tommorow AFAIK those are set on zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Greenie,

I too read about that JBL woofer price but I dont think that price is commonly available. I am NOT uptodate with woofer prices and models. What to do yaar, for someone who has actually seen a JBL D130 (I think even Sam has not seen this driver) the constant change in speaker prices and models gets pretty daunting.

Adi,
When you get a 4ch. amp, if you cant resell your amp you can always use it to power the rear speakers.
I was advised to skip the rear speakers.Also being in Mumbai, can you please tell me some good shops and installers.People at Milan-Subway just want to sell their products, many don't even have a demo unit.
adishenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 22:33   #23
BHPian
 
DjNik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 340
Thanked: Once
Default

places in mumbai you should go to are boom, sound factor(ramie2400) and Bass&trouble.people from mumbai would help you futher.
DjNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 00:47   #24
BHPian
 
adishenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 61
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Finally had a good look at the amp today,found the level screw ( the notations it had were 0.3,0.6,1,2,4,6) It was previously between 0.3-0.6 , I kept fiddling with the level screw for 15-20 mins.

Turning the screw slowly and listening was not helping me , turned the screw half way around (maybe 4) powered the headunit. The next thing I knew my sub was sounding like the "oofers" in mumbai rickshaws ( boom boom boom). Lowered it down and got it till 2, finally got something closer to what i wanted ( had a feeling that i had a sub in my car) .It still needs some fine tuning, its not something that i like but i can live with it till the next upgrade.


O.T Sorry for not being active for the last few days, was unwell.
adishenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 12:19   #25
BHPian
 
adishenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 61
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Went to Milan Subway yesterday,

Couldn't find Kenwood 5539
But a Kenwood MP 443 is available with them (rs 6250)
Pio 6050 for 8500 and pio 5050 for 7500.
All with Bill and warranty
I'm even getting 2.5K for my old HU.

Which one should i go for guys???

Is there and other hu that fits my budget??
adishenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 15:10   #26
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,748
Thanked: 7,466 Times
Default

Since the difference is only 1000 bucks go for the more advanced model which is 6050.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2009, 16:53   #27
BHPian
 
adishenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 61
Thanked: 4 Times
Talking Sound Factored

Hey Guys

I got my headunit changed to a Pioneer 5150 after consulting Ramie.
He did an awesome install and fine-tuned my system.I just love the way it sounds! (Ramie paji thank you ).

Thanks a lot Gurus.

Next upgrade 4 ch amp and Components.
adishenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2009, 22:46   #28
BHPian
 
Ravi Nandrajog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 38
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adishenoy View Post
The Installed ICE Components are as follows.

CDX-GT470U Headunit

Rear Speakers XS-6942A

Front Speakers XS-GTF16252

Subwoofer XS-L124p5

Amplifier XS-ZR6022 (2 channel)

Everything is Sony.(I know what's everyones reply )

Wiring is Monster Cables.

I'm really fustrated, it's been over a year and a half using Sony (I think this amount of punishment is enough).

I'm thinking of a step by step upgrade (Max Total Budget is 15K )

The headunit has already starting skippin disc's.

Please guys help me out of this.
Hey, just try and think over my suggestion :
1) start with simple servicing of the 470 mp3 player
2) upgrade your front speakers to infinity 6" 2 way components powered by your existing sony 2ch amp 6022. That completes your front staging.
3) About your subwoofer i think it wont be above 300 rms here the sony amp 6022 was under powering your woofer just add a powerful amp so as to match the power of your woofer . My suggestion would be kicker 300.2 a 2ch amp delivering 300 rms in bridged mode.
By doing this you get an amazing front staging and a much better bass.
the entire set up will fall jus below 15k.
cheers !!
Ravi Nandrajog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 11:35   #29
BHPian
 
adishenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 61
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Nandrajog View Post
Hey, just try and think over my suggestion :
1) start with simple servicing of the 470 mp3 player
2) upgrade your front speakers to infinity 6" 2 way components powered by your existing sony 2ch amp 6022. That completes your front staging.
3) About your subwoofer i think it wont be above 300 rms here the sony amp 6022 was under powering your woofer just add a powerful amp so as to match the power of your woofer . My suggestion would be kicker 300.2 a 2ch amp delivering 300 rms in bridged mode.
By doing this you get an amazing front staging and a much better bass.
the entire set up will fall jus below 15k.
cheers !!
Hey Ravi,
1) I did service the 470 and the problem started again, it won't play moser-baers no matter what.
Using Sony RW's did help but a minor scratch and the cd would start skipping.
Hence i changed my headunit to a Pioneer 5150 at Sound Factor(ramie2400).
After some tweaks from ramie the woofer kicks!!!
The woofer makes my doors vibrate even at low volumes, at high volumes i fear the door panels will become loose.

2)I too am thinking of Components but being a tight budget i'm waiting for the next stage upgrade.
What ramie suggested me is to go for Comps and a 4 ch to power comps and the sub and the 2 ch amp can power the rear ovals.(He advised me to keep the 2 ch amp because it won't fetch a good resale value).
Which components should i go for??
I can only spend 5K on the Comps and about 6k for a 4 ch amp.(But i'll only upgrade once i save money)

3)The woofer according to the sire has a rated power of 380 RMS (i have no clue what that means, do correct me if i am wrong)
adishenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 13:40   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
rocksterraghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,202
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adishenoy View Post
But can my Sony 2 channel amp power the JBL sub??

.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by adishenoy View Post
Finally had a good look at the amp today,found the level screw ( the notations it had were 0.3,0.6,1,2,4,6) It was previously between 0.3-0.6 , I kept fiddling with the level screw for 15-20 mins.

Turning the screw slowly and listening was not helping me , turned the screw half way around (maybe 4) powered the headunit. The next thing I knew my sub was sounding like the "oofers" in mumbai rickshaws ( boom boom boom). Lowered it down and got it till 2, finally got something closer to what i wanted ( had a feeling that i had a sub in my car) .It still needs some fine tuning, its not something that i like but i can live with it till the next upgrade.


O.T Sorry for not being active for the last few days, was unwell.
Adi,

I had this Sony amp (don't remember the model, but it was 4-ch black thingy) in my 800 which was trying to power a pair of Infinity 6.5" components, a pair of 937s, and it failed miserably. I had to change it to 60.4. I wouldn't put my money on those amps powering subs.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ICEing my i10 - Need the experts opinion carbine In-Car Entertainment 10 9th December 2009 20:36
Need help for ICEing Hyundai Accent m2avg In-Car Entertainment 17 23rd November 2008 18:41
vRs ICEING - Badly Need Help abhinav.gupta88 In-Car Entertainment 117 7th October 2008 13:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks