Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 4th August 2005, 18:14   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer
i deviated a bit from Navin's golden rule....P.S. As I have mentioned earlier as well, I plan to include a 4 channel amp and a bass tube later on...Navin, what do you suggest - a bass tube aur active-sub?
\N
1. The only golden rule is that there are no rules these are guidelines not rules and set here only becuase sam, asseem, vivek and myself were being inundated with the same questions multiple times. For more knowledgeable audio buffs these guidelines are not needed.

2. you can get an active bass tube. either way i prefer active subwoofers (tubes or boxes depends on the listener, music and car) over passive subs. Using fullrange amps as sub amps is good but i feel it is a waste of resorucces. full range amps (good ones) need to be built to higher needs than sub amps. slew rate for example.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2005, 18:16   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
RT you're right. Navin was just making a sticky statement on head units and look whats happened

This is the same thread as the other. Navin? what do you want to do?
go with the flow dude. sooner or later it'll work out.
Old 4th August 2005, 18:19   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5u3zEr0
You could be right but would like to point out that active subs are very rare. ...In reply to your point 2, We do have amplifiers which are designed to power only subs, like monobloc amps or some 2 channel amps which can power 2 subs or bridge both channels to power one sub.
point taken. I built such an amp myself but this thread was primarily for the average joe who just bought a car and wants to stick a system in it.

just FYI here is a link with 17 active subs.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-t1Rdr5M...?g=51000&avf=N
Old 4th August 2005, 20:15   #19
BHPian

Sam! please do something about your avtar...need to be able to read your posts in office without getting into trouble

Plus I have already gone cross-eyed trying to read between the lines..heh heh heh.

Last edited by xezas : 4th August 2005 at 20:19.
xezas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2005, 20:56   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xezas
Sam! please do something about your avtar...need to be able to read your posts in office without getting into trouble

Plus I have already gone cross-eyed trying to read between the lines..heh heh heh.
I suggest you keep one of those tissue boxes on your table

That way everyones eyes will be off the screen
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2005, 21:32   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
active subs have amplifers built in and would qualify by this requirement.
Your point taken.

Quote:
just FYI here is a link with 17 active subs.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-t1Rdr5...p?g=51000&avf=N
Yes, crutchfield, sounddomain and other American websites do have them but we are in India and yes, active subs could be popular there, but in India, its rare to see a car audio dealer selling
active subs.
5u3zEr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 09:43   #22
Team-BHP Support

Ok I am gonna add a BIG rider to POST #1.

THe idea of posting this was to avoid common errors. There are ALWAYS exceptoins. What I hope a beginner should discern from POST #1 is:

a) First get a good HU and speakers. If your budget does not permit more better to get a few good components than a bunch of mediocre ones. The system will sound better and even if you dont want to expand the system it will still be worth it.

b) Hopefully your audio system will last as long as you keep the car. I keep my cars for 8 years and one of my HUs was bought in 1987 (you do the maths). Upgrading a HU or speaker is very expensive as resale value on electronics is next to zero. It is better to get components that do not need to be upgraded only added to.
Old 5th August 2005, 12:30   #23
BHPian

How do the Sony amps sound? They also seem to have introduced a new range of amps.
Vivekphadnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 15:38   #24
Team-BHP Support

I find Sony a bit harsh but for the money they are quite nice.
Old 5th August 2005, 16:39   #25
BHPian

Hi Navin/Sam,

Please suggest some active bass tube available in India, and it's price too if possible. I have decided against waiting for 2-3 months as planned earlier ;-) I will get that fitted this week-end itself.
Navin, s per your suggession I am not going for amp+passive bass tube, buying an active bass tube itself. And will drive the speakers from HU itself. I plan to turn "Loud" off, set the EQ settings to Vocal, and will turn the High Pass Filter to 135 Hz. I guess this way I will get clear sound (without bass) from my speakers and good bass from my tube. Will it be ok?

\N
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 17:31   #26
Team-BHP Support

should work. if you got 4K more get the sony 504 to drive the speakers.
Old 5th August 2005, 18:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
should work. if you got 4K more get the sony 504 to drive the speakers.
you confuse me :-( if i am going to buy an amp (sony 504) what's the point of getting an active sub. can't i drive the speakers as well as bass tube with this amp. or the bass tube require a separate amp.

\N
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 18:52   #28
BHPian

umm,

yeah...the HU anyway is gonna drive the 4 speakers (2 front and 2 rear) and the active sub is gonna be driven by making use of one of the 3 pre outs...

I assume that the head units do not drive subs as a rule i.e, 4 speakers+ passive sub

Navin, pls correct me if my understanding is wrong.

For a normal setup of 2 front spkrs +2 rear spkrs+ Head Unit + Passive Sub Woofer we invariably need to go for a 4 channel amp ( Is there a 2 channel amp also!)

Usage of amplifiers:
2 channels of extnl amp: for the front or rear speakers thru 1 set of pre out
Head Unit: takes care of amplifying the rear or front speakers and only one set of speakers.
2 channels of extnl amp: for the sub ( left+right channels)

This would not burden the HU power management by not making use of the 2 channel.

What ntomer says is quite feasible rite.

Last edited by muni : 5th August 2005 at 18:54.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2005, 23:08   #29
BHPian

ntomer, the output will be far greater in the case of an active sub. One idea as others have suggested is to get a 4 channel amp and use it to drive the four speakers. Then get an active sub and take the sub pre-out from the HU and there you have it.

Alternately, if you do not want to spend money for the active sub, get yourself a passive one. Connect two channels each to the front outputs of your four channel amp. Then, bridge the other two channels and use that power to drive your passive sub.

What you could also do is to drive the front and rear speakers with the HU's internal amp. Then get a monoblock subwoofer amplifier and use it to drive the sub. That is if you are satisfied with the front and rear speakers being driven by the HU's internal amp. Simple.

Muni, you could drive a sub with the HU's internal amplifier but the power will not be that great. Remember, for a subwoofer to give you that punch, a lot of air needs to be moved. For that, you need a lot of power.

Hope this clears things up.

Last edited by Vivekphadnis : 5th August 2005 at 23:11.
Vivekphadnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2005, 01:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Talking

Quote:
There are a lot of questions on What Stereo to get etc....here are some rules that will help narrow things....many thanks to Aseem, Sam, Vivek et. al (alphabetically).
Well thanks Navin for being so generous as to acknowledge us in your posts.

Quote:
a) Budget under 20K.
Spend half on a good HU. A Sony with Bill and warranty will work fine. JVC, Pioneer and Kenwood are other options but Pioneer does NOT have a authorised dealer in India
Look for a HU with 4V pre-outs. 3 pairs of these are good but 2 pairs will work in this budget unless one is keen on adding and controlling a subwoofer from the HU.
Spend the other half on 4 speakers. Of this half 60-65% on the front and 35-40% on the rear. Use Stock locations and avoid such gizmos as those surface mounted tweeters (like the common TS20).
Just to add, Pioneer and Sony HU's are bright (more treble) in sound. Sony 55xx is good VFM for around 6k. If want to go for a flashy display, than Pioneer 6750 for 7.5k is a smart choice, however Pioneer is relatively more brighter than Sony.
Please do not go for Blankpunt 4" speakers in the front for 1400, they are very shrill. If possible get 6" speakers mounted in your front door trims by making room by cutting the pads if not already present in the car. The 6" speakers in the front give you the best music where you site and drive, rather than music coming from the back. Go for JBL 636CE GTO series for 3.5k or Soundstream. For the rear, if possible do not go for tray if there is space in the doors for speakers. As the trays make the life of rear passengers nightmare.

Quote:
b) Budget 20-30K
Same as above but add a 4 channel amp (Sony's 504 sells for 4.2K) and a sub (JBL has a tube for about 5K). I dont know of an active sub under 6K yet.
With 20-30k budget I would suggest the following:
Decent HU Sony/Pioneer: 7.5k
Front Components Boss: 3.5k
Rear Triaxials JBL 636: 3.5k
Sony 4 channel: 4.2k
Sony sub with box: 3.2k
==========================
22-23k
==========================
If budget is more towards 30k, upgrade HU and front components to JBL or Sony. JBL compos come for 6k and Sony compos for 4.5k (6"). There are also 5" sony compos for 4k.

Quote:
c) Budget 30-40K
Same as above but now you can afford a nicer amp (like Alpine's 340), maybe component speakers in the front or an active Sub but probably not all 3. so you gotta pick your poison(s).
30-40k.... Thats an ideal system for a bloke like me.

Sony HU 88xx: 13k
Alpine Compos: 8k
JBL Triaxials Rear: 3.5k
Active Bass Tube: 8k
Alpine amplifier: 7k

Quote:
d) Budget 40-50K
The Apline 9830 or 9847 at 18-20K work well in this segment as do the second from top of the line Sony and Pio units.
Add 4 speakers for about 15K (components in the front and rear)
Add active sub at about 8K and a 4 channel amp at about 6-7K.
40 to 50, must go Alpine HU. I dont think components at front and rear are really needed, but than hey, look at the cars that Sam posts. Maybe with this kind of budget one can consider having 2 bass tubes, one in trunk and other on top of the car

Last edited by aseem : 6th August 2005 at 02:08.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote