Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 15th June 2010, 12:31   #91
Senior - BHPian

Thanks.
Can you post some pictures of fuses installed, I am having a hard time finding the right method of fixing fuses. Is there any kind of Fuse box available(like the one that comes with the car main 'Fuse Box'.).

Also I am getting a Car Inverter that provides 350W output (12V DC to 220V AC) for 1500Rs, Should I use it instead of a PSU that costs 4000Rs. I have no trouble in switching On\Off computer manually. Now, the question comes is Will it drain my car battery while the car is running or not? The inverter will directly connect into the car ciggrate lighter socket, as the inverter is designed specifically for car then I suspect that it will not burn wiring.

Last edited by mercedised : 15th June 2010 at 12:45.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 11:56   #92
BHPian

Dont do that, Using an inverter will put more strain on your battery as well as yourr alternator. Go for a PSU though it's a bit expensive. Thats safe actually.
I'll post a pic of the fuse soon, It comes with a box and is available at any car spares store.
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 13:57   #93
Senior - BHPian

Thanks King.

But, How an inverter could put strain on battery. BTW, I will be using that only when the car is started and also the inverter is designed specifically for cars.
I have ordered a VGA to RCA cable from ebay and when it arrives I will be going to put a test on a laptop whether this option is valid or not. BTW, Please could you advice me from where I will get a really cheap PSU or from where you ordered the PSU. Please.
Old 16th June 2010, 15:35   #94
Senior - BHPian

Dont use inverter for carputer.

It will cause uncalled for shutdowns, because inverter by design is operational only when it has 11v in input. so once pc is on and you have to restart your car or there is dip in voltage below that momentarily like when ac comes on or in night when there is more electrical load. it will be annoying and also harmful for the hard disk.

Cheaper inverter makes will introduce electrical noise into the audio.

In case there happens to a electrical leakage of 220v in a running car it can turn out disastrous even before fuse blows since it is connected to car electrical system at either ends.

here you are not using the inverter to operate a isolated equipment like a laptop or phone charger. don't do it.

i did use one for the initial experimental days when in garage. use it now only to charge camera batteries and soldering iron.

do post details about this vga to rc cable. is it a passive converter?
gigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 16:04   #95
BHPian

I ordered it from ebay.

12V 120W DC-DC Auto Car PC Power Supply mini ITX ATX M2 - eBay (item 280520672354 end time Jul-13-10 07:45:01 PDT)

Check this link, This is the cheapest one I could find for you. Costs less than your inverter. Do let us know about the experience of your initial experiments on the carputer project.

Last edited by kingofmyworld : 16th June 2010 at 16:05.
Old 16th June 2010, 17:14   #96
Senior - BHPian

@gigy: Thanks for clearing my doubt. I now understood the basic idea behind not using the inverter in car for PC. I will be going for a PSU. Basically, I want to test my 'carputer' first on the car LCD that I have got now for watching movies (by HU). So, I ordered the cable. However it's length is a bit worrying thing as I did'nt paid attention to it while ordering and got it from ebay for some 150Rs, let's wait and see till it is delivered. Yes, it's a passive cable since the picture showed nothing other than a VGA connector and a RCA connector . There was nothing as such that can be called as buffer(\amplify).

@King:
What could I say now? I have not words to utter for your prompt and calm replies. & this is definite that I would let everyone know how did I went and a short review. Thanks again, I will look into the PSU matter and buy one that is suitable for my project. I am considering for a 350W one from mini ATX or atleast a 200\250W will be the minimum on my spec.

Till now, I have sketched out a plan to test the 'carputer' first as follows :

- As soon as I buy a PSU and the RCA cable gets delivered to me, then I will be going to test, firstly, my home PC. (by plonking the new 'Dc-Dc' PSU instead of 'AC' one, and this will just strictly be the test not my real carputer. )

- If there are issues rised during the test then I will let you guys know about what I have done and how to solve the problem?

- Once the test is completed successfully then I will look into the real 'carputer' that will be designed by talking here(\teambhp) about what's best for my needs.

- My test PC configuration:
Pentium Dual Core 2.8 Ghz; 945 Motherboard.
500GB Sata, 2GB RAM. and Display device will be my car's LCD.

Thanks again.

Last edited by mercedised : 16th June 2010 at 17:16.
Old 16th June 2010, 20:19   #97
BHPian

M4-ATX 250W DC-DC ATX auto car PC power supply mini ITX - eBay (item 120559120926 end time Jun-18-10 11:09:01 PDT)

The above link directs to a 250watt powersupply and is going to cost above 100$ including shipping. BTW, Why do you need a 350watt powersupply? 250watt should be more than enough for a carputer. Infact, 160watt should do the job.
Old 8th August 2013, 21:13   #98
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: M-800 carputer install

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
I used different ports but sometimes it works well and some times it doesn't, Im unable to findout whats the problem with it.
Hello,

I have also installed a Carputer in my Safari, thanks to you and many others on this forum ( I have made a thread here on T-BHP). I now need to install bluetooth connectivity in my carputer. I want to receive calls using Centrafuse 4.0. Could you guide me on how to set-up Mobile and Carputer to get paired and receive calls via Centrafuse?
Old 8th August 2013, 23:20   #99
BHPian

Default Re: M-800 carputer install

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Hello,

I have also installed a Carputer in my Safari, thanks to you and many others on this forum ( I have made a thread here on T-BHP). I now need to install bluetooth connectivity in my carputer. I want to receive calls using Centrafuse 4.0. Could you guide me on how to set-up Mobile and Carputer to get paired and receive calls via Centrafuse?
Thank you and yes I can help you with that. Bluetooth has been one painful hardware that I had a toughtime setting up. I've PM'd you my number. Whatsapp me and I will guide you with it.