Default My OHC install

Hey Guys,
Just got a new set of speakers.
This is what I have
Head Unit : Pioneer DEH - 5650MP
Amplifier : DLS Reference RA - 40
Speakers Front: Kicker Components [for got the model number]
Speaker Rear : DLS Ovals [962 something]

Now, my head unit is quite old [about 5 years old].
If i upgrade my HU, with the current setup, will a better HU make a big difference? as in is investing in a SQ HU like the Pio P80RS or the like, be worth it?

I plan to get a sub woofer down the line, when i can afford it.

Now, instead of investing in a good SQ head unit, if i set up a basic core2duo system with a killer sound card something like the creative fatal1ty, which will deliver better sound [ignoring the cost ofcourse, the pc will work out more expensive]
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 16:20   #2
BHPian

IMHO, even a mid-range SQ HU will beat the best carputer in SQ anyday- if all you want is a stereo setup. I won't comment on multi-channel (5.1 etc.) car setups though.

SQ HUs begin around 20-22k mark (Alpine 9887) and go progressively higher. P80RS will be a class apart from a carputer!

Last edited by greenh0rn : 13th November 2009 at 16:21.
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 16:47   #3
BHPian

1> Disregarding the costs, what if I get a top of the line computer.
something like these sound engineers work on, then hypothetically is it possible?

2> With my current setup of amp and speakers, will a good SQ HU be a worth while investment? as in will the amp and speakers be able to reproduce the kind of quality that the HU will provide? or will i need a speaker / amp upgrade as well [not even considering this. Need a new HU, want a good one, but don't want one that is of no use because the rest ain't good enough]
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 01:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
IMHO, even a mid-range SQ HU will beat the best carputer in SQ anyday
Why would you say that! Anything objective?

I'm contemplating going down the carputer way for my car for a loooong time. The only thing that has deterred me is that I have still not found a foolproof software TA solution from the people I have asked help from! Other than that, I am totally sold from Day 1.

And the few carputers I have installed till date have done a decent job, and all of them used pretty inexpensive audio cards.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 14th November 2009 at 01:48.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 02:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think you might wanna spend the money on upgrading your comps and amp rather than going in for a high end HU. If and only If you want to buy a High End HU, then do upgrade your Comps and Amp as it wont be much of a use if you have the current setup. Buying a good HU is always a plus but if you dont have a good setup all around, then no use spending so much money on HU.
So think twice before you buy anything.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 03:52   #6
BHPian

Greenie. Powerful Proccy and RAM(read ASIO and other plugin uses good processor power) with highend Soundcard will beat HU.
Ajaybhai. Thats the thing i am missing in my setup after listening to Ashish(the_mask)'s car which has Clarion 785.
Anyway. if you want to read more about different soundcard that people use in carputer check out this link.
Ultimate USB, Firewire, External Soundcard List - MP3Car.com
nisarg86 is offline   Reply With Quote