Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 19th November 2009, 15:41   #1
BHPian

Default Mild Upgrade for i10 Sony Xplod

Dear All,

I am looking to upgrade the speakers to component ones for the front door of my i10 1.2, the current front ones can be shifted back.... i liked the quality of Sony XS GTX1620S components.... my friend got it installed in his new Swift. But as everyone out here seems to favour JBLs, can i have an opinion regarding the same. It'll be of immense help!!!

My form:

1. Your Car: i10 1.2 Magna

2. Your current setup (If any): Sony Xplod GT270_with normal sony speakers in front (don't know model no)
3. Your Budget: 4 ~ 5k for a pair of component speakers to be put in front, and current front ones to be shifted to rear
4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? Self Driven

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Metallica, Pink floyd, Linkin Park, Guns & Roses, some hip hop

Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : nopes, not a single extra cut, but a tweeter can be accommodated anywhere
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 16:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
Dear All,

I am looking to upgrade the speakers to component ones for the front door of my i10 1.2, the current front ones can be shifted back.... i liked the quality of Sony XS GTX1620S components.... my friend got it installed in his new Swift. But as everyone out here seems to favour JBLs, can i have an opinion regarding the same. It'll be of immense help!!!

My form:

1. Your Car: i10 1.2 Magna

2. Your current setup (If any): Sony Xplod GT270_with normal sony speakers in front (don't know model no)
3. Your Budget: 4 ~ 5k for a pair of component speakers to be put in front, and current front ones to be shifted to rear
4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? Self Driven

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Metallica, Pink floyd, Linkin Park, Guns & Roses, some hip hop

Additional Information:

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : nopes, not a single extra cut, but a tweeter can be accommodated anywhere

Audition few more rides that have different setups before you choose.

IMHO, Sony Xplods are Okey-Dokey only, nothing great. For 4K-5K you can have much better sounding and Quality components
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 11:09   #3
BHPian

Well since my thread didn't attract any advice, i decided to go for my speakers anyway, installed JBL GTO 608 in the front door, the front sony 2 way coaxials were sent to the rear door, got it for 5200, inc installation.

Small review: while everything is all good, the clarity really good, however i found this system low on bass, i was expecting some thumping atleast, but what it seems is that its good for mid and high band. I am finding it hard to contain the tweeters, my low setting is in +10, mid in -2 and high in -1, still there is a lot of treble....

one query: what is that switch on the crossover module, the one which says 0db and 6 db??
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 20:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Reduce high frequencies going to tweeter.
* In which setting is it right now, 0 or 6?
* Is it 6dB or -6dB? If -6dB, then you should select this setting - this will reduce the brightness of the speakers.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote