Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 1st December 2009, 21:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Sub under 20K budget

Hi Gurus

I am back to trouble you again

This time i have finalized, in fact brought my mono (its on its way down from US of A)

Its a Rockford Fosgate Prime series: R500-1

I want a good Sub to play at 500w RMS @ 2 ohms load.

My considerations were;
12" ID v3
12" IDQ v2
2 x 12" CTX
12" GZRW XD-AL

I really dont know any other sub that would come in this leauge

My preference would be good, solid, tight bass.

Please suggest me a suitable option along with an apt enclosure

I am buying this within 10th of December

Thanks in advance Gurus
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 21:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

If, i were you i would simply eliminate the 2 x ctx option just because its 2.

I would prefer only 1 sub.

Listen to all the 4 subs and decide for yourself. Do check for availability of IDq v2 also. It was discontinued long back
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 22:20   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Get an ID/IDQ in a sealed box. Enjoy, grin & get envied.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 22:43   #4
BHPian

I will suggest go in for ID . It kicks hard , goes low , goes loud too . All round performance . But audition all the subs !!
ankit_chd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 23:01   #5
BHPian

12" GZRW XD-AL - Best from your list.
VOiLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 23:08   #6
BHPian

For an all round performance....hands down iDQ

rest I have not heard....so do audition them if possible
Sound_Affects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 23:13   #7
BHPian

Think over , your mono amp can support two 250 rms woofers comfortably , why not go for 2 subs rather than 1 . I kno evry one has its own taste and liking as music is very subjective. Think about your taste , what all you listen to and at what volumes?
Ravi Nandrajog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 00:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
12" ID v3
12" IDQ v2
2 x 12" CTX
12" GZRW XD-AL

I really dont know any other sub that would come in this leauge

My preference would be good, solid, tight bass.
Good solid tight bass depends more on the enclosure volume. If you not looking for much of low end, smaller volume limits the sub from the low end freq. efficiency.
What music do you mainly listen to?

As per the order you mentioned.
ID12V3 has a very smooth and linear response. I was told by Eric Steven that IDV3 subs will do all that an IDQv2 was capable of and more. ID12v3 will perform best in .9-.1 cu.ft enclosure for what you looking for.

IDQ12V3 is a better design. Has better power handling than the IDv3. Can be best suited in .81 cu.ft.

Dual 12" CTX: Ctx subs are great for the money. But aren't as linear and smooth as the ID and IDQv3. But they do have plenty of low end grunt in slightly larger enclosure compared to the above two. Good size for what you looking for on them will be .90-.95 cu.ft. In the given size they will have a 3 db peak between 50-80hz. Which means they will be louder compared to the IDv3 and IDQ12.

12"GZxd-al: Is a wee bit more efficient than ID subs. But comes in 2ohmDVC config if am not mistaken, which means they will either do 4 ohm in series or 1ohm in parallel. They will perform great in .85 cu.ft of enclosure with good linearity.

Apart from this the other choice I would consider is dual 10" Ctx or ID10v3. In this case 10" CTX is not available. Dual ID10v3 would be my choice with each taking .45 cu.ft of enclosure. I had spoken to Eric Steven reg the IDv3 subs 8 months back and I was told that IDv3 subs would perform better than IDQv2 series, plus they can handle power more efficiently. What I like about ID10v3 is they have lowest Fs of 20hz amongst all the listed subs here plus VAS on them makes them well controlled sub.

If you looking for good Quality bass your best bet would be the IDQ12v3. But if you looking for something tight and punchy its got to be the dual ID10v3. Plus the fact that dual setup would have more surface area over a single 12" cannot be ignored. Or you could select dual 12" CTX. but don't forget it would require bigger enclosure. The only advantage here is since you not looking at low end extension as you require tight bass CTX would do good job and will be a bit more louder compared to the rest thx to the Fb of 3 db between 50-80hz.

But more than all of this I say go have a listen to each one of them on your list and if you can do that in your car, that would help the most.

Last edited by Invinsible : 2nd December 2009 at 00:08.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 18:23   #9
BHPian

Well why is the list so short? There are a myriad of options out there within the reach of 20K.

You haven't mentioned the kind of music you listen to, or what you're looking for out of a sub. Given that each subwoofer is slightly different from the others in terms of frequency reproduction, efficiency, and overall capabilities, why not have a look at what's on offer from other brands?

Examples: Kicker, MTX, Infinity, Rockford Fosgate (I like the P3s very much), DLS, Morel, Hertz and the list goes on...
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 19:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Well why is the list so short? There are a myriad of options out there within the reach of 20K.

You haven't mentioned the kind of music you listen to, or what you're looking for out of a sub. Given that each subwoofer is slightly different from the others in terms of frequency reproduction, efficiency, and overall capabilities, why not have a look at what's on offer from other brands?

Examples: Kicker, MTX, Infinity, Rockford Fosgate (I like the P3s very much), DLS, Morel, Hertz and the list goes on...

My kinda music is Rock, Jazz, Blues and bit of Folk

How are Hertz, Morel and RF as compared to the ID's and GZRW ?
Old 2nd December 2009, 20:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Most Rock music don't have too much of low end, where as Jazz and Blues does.
It'l be hard to get the Morel subs in the price bracket you mentioned. Their sub prices starts from 30k. Their 12" Ultimo sub sells at around 55K but I had got a quote for much less from the company that imports.
Hertz don't hit very low plus their specs are not as good compared to the ID and GZ.
RF subs are good, they do pound hard. But than again are very pricey. Their higher hands are good and can do good SQL.

For the kinda Music you listen to I say get dual ID10v3, these can hit real low with the Fs being at 20hz. They will play clean with plenty of low end but since you looking for tight and punchy bassline you will have to limit the sub with the help of slightly smaller enclosure from going low, which may result in the bass line you looking at.
For you specific requirement around the budget you mentioned Dual ID10v3, Single ID12V3, IDQv3 suits the best.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 21:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:

I know that the entry level woofers from Focal and Morel perform really well to Rock, and they're great quality.

I however absolutely LOVE the RF P3! This is one amazing woofer. I loved the SQ capabilities as well as the SPL capabilities. While this may be no ID MAX, it should definitely give a tough fight to any woofer in it's price bracket.

Was originally considering them for my car (I have auditioned them, my brother has one in one of his cars). But back in the states, they're dirt cheap, not sure what MSRP in India is.
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 07:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

The GZRW12XD-AL - Specs form its website says 2 x 3.8 ohms

Is it possible to connect to a 2 ohm load ?; Like the one attached?

Can anyone throw light on the MRP of this product in India?
Attached Images

Old 3rd December 2009, 09:44   #14
BHPian

Mi10 the GZ 12 XD-AL is not available here only the 12XS-AL(SVC) is available which retails for 14990.
DjNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

as far as i know, only the XD is available now and not the SVC (XS-AL)
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote