Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 9th December 2009, 17:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Fibre glass can easily be used to cover the Dynamat. A layer or two and you could have painted it according to your tastes. Would have taken shape and looked elegant too!
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 15:23   #32
BHPian

i would still stick to fabric to fibre.. maybe a black..
@ moral: dude the handcuffs wont come in handy if you keep rolling on the floor on your behind like that ye know!!..haha!
@ DocG: any updates on the rear speakers?

cheers!!

Last edited by wildchild4lyfe : 28th December 2009 at 15:42.
wildchild4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 12:45   #33
BHPian

Hey wildchild, I've been really busy off late and am quite confused as to what upgrade I should go in for. Considering getting better subwoofers, rear fill, and even changing the entire set-up which would go a lot more high end...but let's wait for the Delhi Auto expo to get over first.

Can't wait to catch the Kicker cars being displayed at the show...The crazy swift and the even crazier supra...more coming soon, but only after that
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 16:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Kicker cars being displayed at the show...The crazy swift and the even crazier supra...more coming soon, but only after that
Hmm. Any idea what equipment is going into both these Kicker cars?
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 23:35   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Hmm. Any idea what equipment is going into both these Kicker cars?
Not sure about the supra, I doubt it'll match the swift, but it's always fun seeing a supra in India

You saw the swift right? At least that's what Guddu told me.

Anyhoo, the swift equipment follows
HU - Eclipse 7200 MK2
Amps - Kicker 4 channel and MTX mono forgot the ratings
Front Compos - SS 65 by Kicker mounted coaxially in the front doors
Rear fill(scream) - Kicker marine outdoor loundspeakers X 2
Subs - 4 X Kicker CVR 15"ers

Sadly I was working yesterday and was unable to hear the car, but will make sure to get my fill at the Auto Expo.

Hope to see you there Ajay, will you be coming to Delhi?
Old 1st January 2010, 19:33   #36
Senior - BHPian

That's what I was thinking because I didn't see any Supra. They didn't use the MTX mono, went for 4 Kicker 750.1 monoblocks instead. Unfortunately I had to leave before it was fired up. Kamal told me that Ravi had the car tuned immaculately. I don't think I'll make it to the expo. Will probably check it out once its back in Mumbai.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 14:05   #37
BHPian

yea man cant wait to hear the kickers kick!!
wildchild4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 20:04   #38
BHPian

Hey Hey...I finally got my rear fill in. Just a quick update from my side.

Rear: DLS R6A 2 ways....Damn rear fill really takes the sound stage to a whole different level.

To those who say that front speakers are enough, I'd agree in smaller vehicles, but if it's a larger car, then there is a huge difference after the install of rear speakers. (At least that's what I experienced in my car)

Will hit back with full details and some high res pics in a bit.
Old 17th May 2010, 00:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Hey Hey...I finally got my rear fill in. Just a quick update from my side.

Rear: DLS R6A 2 ways....Damn rear fill really takes the sound stage to a whole different level.

To those who say that front speakers are enough, I'd agree in smaller vehicles, but if it's a larger car, then there is a huge difference after the install of rear speakers. (At least that's what I experienced in my car)

Will hit back with full details and some high res pics in a bit.
A well tuned rear fill can lift the soundstage compared to the one without it. With the help of TA, right amount of gain, bandlimited it could add a lot of depth and richness in front stage. Whether its small or big car doesn't matter it would still work beautifully if done right. 785 is easily capable of doing that if running under active mode. If the rears are not tuned right it could mess it up big time.

I always preferred the rear stage along with the front since years but back than, I am talking about 15 years back we din't have the TA feature so would make use of the fader and cancel the tweeters on rear mounted speakers. It would help to some extent but not the same as to what TA can do now a days.
Join the club

Last edited by Invinsible : 17th May 2010 at 00:52.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 01:31   #40
mpz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
A well tuned rear fill can lift the soundstage compared to the one without it. With the help of TA, right amount of gain, bandlimited it could add a lot of depth and richness in front stage. Whether its small or big car doesn't matter it would still work beautifully if done right. 785 is easily capable of doing that if running under active mode. If the rears are not tuned right it could mess it up big time.

I always preferred the rear stage along with the front since years but back than, I am talking about 15 years back we din't have the TA feature so would make use of the fader and cancel the tweeters on rear mounted speakers. It would help to some extent but not the same as to what TA can do now a days.
Join the club

Am not aware of any HU that can run active for the rear . Most of the HU when run in active mode can support only a 3 way or a 4 way system and the rear fill/fader is disabled.
mpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 01:50   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invinsible
With the help of TA, right amount of gain, bandlimited it could add a lot of depth and richness in front stage. 785 is easily capable of doing that if running under active mode.
How?

In active mode, the 3 sets of pre outs turn into high - mid - low whereas in the normal mode, it would be front-rear-sub.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 09:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
How?

In active mode, the 3 sets of pre outs turn into high - mid - low whereas in the normal mode, it would be front-rear-sub.
Please correct me if I'm wrong..

I'm using active, here the high attributes to the front..mid to the rear and low to the sub. Theres a feature called Speaker Gain, where the gains to the particular set of drivers can be adjusted.

Invinsible probably means that one can play around with TA, Gains etc and achieve a beautiful rear-stage that compliments to the front-stage.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 10:42   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
How?

It has a 3 way active mode and normal mode. when connecting under normal mode, we connect the front comps to front ch. of the HU, rear speakers are connected to rear ch. on the HU, and sub goes in sub.
When switching in 3 way active mode. The front comps will run under highs, the rear speakers will run under mid, and sub under sub.
The front comp's midwoofer and tweeter are seperated by passive xover but on the HU one can set the HP all the way down to 80/63/50hz at a steeper slope, just the same way one will do it on the amplifier. But in this case i prefer to keep the amp's HP "off".

The rear speakers will run under "MID" with bandlimited from 125/160hz to 3.15/4khz at 12 db slope.
Running it under 3 way active gives the flexibility of setting the gain for individual ch., TA, and xover options.
The issue when using under such config where even the passive xover is involved will be phase shift. One will need to play around with the phase of the front comps on it's passive xover to get the optimum midbass result.
At times even the TA on the rear's if not done right can mess up the front stage. But, if one sets it right, could lift the stage up plus add a lot of depth to it. It gives an illusion of being right in the front row of a live concert and sound coming from all side, rather than standing somewhere at the back in the concert and listening to it.

Last edited by Invinsible : 17th May 2010 at 10:47.
Old 17th May 2010, 10:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
... The issue when using under such config where even the passive xover is involved will be phase shift. One will need to play around with the phase of the front comps on it's passive xover to get the optimum midbass result. ...
Why would one use the passive XO when using active? Protection for the tweeter one can understand, but midbass?
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 11:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Why would one use the passive XO when using active? Protection for the tweeter one can understand, but midbass?
I have mentioned running the comps under "highs" in active meaning both the midbass and tweeter running under Highs with the further separation done by the passive xover. Which means bring the down the HP filter on the headunit down to 63/80hz at steeper slope. One can say its running actively passive.