Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 6th December 2009, 20:35   #1

Default ICEing my i10 - Need the experts opinion

Hi,

I have a i10 Magna and am planning to ICE it. I have gone through the statutory warning about the 10 Risk factors of getting into this section (posted by SoundManiac) and yet I am here.

I am a newbie in this world and whatever knowledge I possess has been gathered from the experts over here at this forum.

Ok here are the requirements.

Car : - i10 Magna

Preferred Music : Mostly Hindi and tamil film songs, English (more of the backstreet boys, George Micheal type), a little carnatic and of course the Ghazals of Jagjit and Pankaj Udhas.

I am not an audiophile but listen to music almost all the hours I am awake. Love clear, crisp and good sound without any distortions. No Loud Bass required. Emphasis on Clarity at all volumes. I wont be listening to music at high volumes. No Blaring music for me.

I don't like to cut the doors or the rear plank. The speakers will have to go into the doors or the boot.

Budget : As of now 20K (I am ready to do it in instalments)

The ICE so far I have narrowed down are :

HU : Pioneer 5190 UB (5090 UB in Grey) -- Price around 8k w/o B/W

Front : JBL 608c -- around 5k

Amps : JBL GT5 A604 4 way-- around 6k

Rear : None for now

Sub : Not yet decided. 10" or 12" (some suggest 12" for low bass).How is JBL GT5-12" with encl ? -- around 6k

Since the car will be mostly self driven and most of the times it will be yours truly alone in the car, my plan is not to go for the rear speakers. Instead I have decided to bridge the 4 way amp (two for the front compos and the two for the sub).

I am aware that I have a tight budget of 20K but as I said I can do it in instalments like first fit the HU and front compos along with the amp now and then go for the sub later OR the HU and the front comps now and the rest of the stuff later.

My one doubt is the selection of the front compos? what it should be -- 608c or GT265C ? Which will be a better option with the said HU?

Is this a good enough setup ? Any tweaking ?

Waiting for the experts opinion on this.
carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 08:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

The GT5-S12 won't cost you more than 3.2K, on Grey market.
If you bargain well, you could get lesser than 3K too.

Along with enclosure, it shouldn't take more than 4K for your Sub stage
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 11:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

JBL 608C should cost you just 4k in grey.
And with the -6db set in the crossover, it sounds very good.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 19:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi carbine, since you already know what you want, it is going to be pretty simple. Get the HU+Front Components+Amp+Sub+enclosure. As you rightly mentioned, you don't need rear-fills right now - because a good pair of 6X9s with an MDF parcel tray cost almost as much as a sub + enclosure. And while you're at it, get a 12", worth the marginal difference in cost.

All this according to your list costs around 25k, but a good bargain should get you some good wiring in the same budget. It's a difference of 5k - I'd say go with it instead of phasing.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 21:52   #5

Thanks for the inputs, Folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Hi carbine, since you already know what you want, it is going to be pretty simple. Get the HU+Front Components+Amp+Sub+enclosure. As you rightly mentioned, you don't need rear-fills right now - because a good pair of 6X9s with an MDF parcel tray cost almost as much as a sub + enclosure. And while you're at it, get a 12", worth the marginal difference in cost.

All this according to your list costs around 25k, but a good bargain should get you some good wiring in the same budget. It's a difference of 5k - I'd say go with it instead of phasing.
Hi Rocksterraghu,

Yep, looks like thats what I am going to do at the end ! Will a 12" sound better, since my concern is not loud thumping bass, but at the same time I do want the bass, if you can understand what I mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
The GT5-S12 won't cost you more than 3.2K, on Grey market.
If you bargain well, you could get lesser than 3K too.

Along with enclosure, it shouldn't take more than 4K for your Sub stage
Mi10,

The dealer quoted 3k for the sub and he said since he would do a customised encl that would cost me another 2 to 3k. Will a encl cost that much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
JBL 608C should cost you just 4k in grey.
And with the -6db set in the crossover, it sounds very good.
Thanks Nitrous,

Will bargain with the dealer.

Btw, Mi10 and Nitrous,

Have you heard of "carsense" at KK Nagar, Chennai ? I got their contact details from the pioneer service centre and they said that they are good.

I spoke to him and he does sound a little knowledgeable.
Old 8th December 2009, 03:13   #6
BHPian

The kind of music you listen to, has no low bass in it. You do not want the give away a couple extra grands just for the enclosure because if he said customised, I'm taking that he meant ported. Its good no doubt that, but it offers low bass which is not required for you.

Also look into the 10" subs. They aren't good with low bass but give you a nice body feel during the thumps and buzzes (the type of music you listen to).
cvc2145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 09:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc2145 View Post
The kind of music you listen to, has no low bass in it. You do not want the give away a couple extra grands just for the enclosure because if he said customised, I'm taking that he meant ported. Its good no doubt that, but it offers low bass which is not required for you.

Also look into the 10" subs. They aren't good with low bass but give you a nice body feel during the thumps and buzzes (the type of music you listen to).
Well, there are some 6.5" or 8" subs that can blow away even a good 12" sub. But it all boils down to enclosure size. It's the enclosure size that can make the sub go low and tight. A wrong
size enclosure can hamper even the sub in long run.

Anyways, getting back to the query Headunit and amp choice looks fine. You can also check out if you get can some Alpine HU in that price bracket. Alpine's are good for the kinda of music you listen.
In case of speakers and sub. You could take the JBL or you can even look at Bull audio comps and sub. Should come in your budget.
Add some damping to your door as well, coz however good a speaker can be but adding resonance on them could hamper the sound quality. You could keep a budget of 2k for door treament. Overall, keep around a budget of upto 25k, and you will be happy with the end result.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 19:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbine View Post
Thanks for the inputs, Folks.
Hi Rocksterraghu,

Yep, looks like thats what I am going to do at the end ! Will a 12" sound better, since my concern is not loud thumping bass, but at the same time I do want the bass, if you can understand what I mean
I am no guru, but my understanding is that 12" can go lower than 10" or a smaller sub. And 'lower' has nothing to do with 'louder'. In my experience, you regret your choice when your sub goes rattling at very low frequencies (at around 30 Hz).

Like others have said here, there are some smaller subs which probably beat the bigger ones. There are other situations where you'd rather use 2X12" or 2X10" instead of a larger sub - which is pretty much OT here. I am only referring to VFM products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Anyways, getting back to the query Headunit and amp choice looks fine. You can also check out if you get can some Alpine HU in that price bracket. Alpine's are good for the kinda of music you listen.
I agree. But again, nothing like listening before deciding.
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 19:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

ensure that they use a wiring harness.
and use wooden spacers to fit the speakers.
otherwise, you're good to go
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 20:06   #10
BHPian

Hey carbine,
I have spoken to the Carsense guys few times for my frenz, very competitive price, remember he was offering 9.5k for the Pioneer 2 DIN 6050UB. Havent dont any install with him. let me know if he is good/
funnyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 20:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyguru View Post
Hey carbine,
I have spoken to the Carsense guys few times for my frenz, very competitive price, remember he was offering 9.5k for the Pioneer 2 DIN 6050UB. Havent dont any install with him. let me know if he is good/
Sure Funnyguru, though I don't know when exactly I would go for the install --with the festival season budget is a little tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
ensure that they use a wiring harness.
and use wooden spacers to fit the speakers.
otherwise, you're good to go
Thanks for your points, Greenhorn. In the melee of selecting the right equipment one might just take the installation part a little easy-- thnx for the reminder. Will make certain of the points you had mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
I agree. But again, nothing like listening before deciding.
Yes, I would certainly agree. Everyone has his/her preferred way of listening to music. To each his own.