Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 01:15   #256
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,509
Thanked: 3,885 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathee46 View Post
OT: 30 Farad capacitor, do you have anymore details of the equipments he's running.
So how is the 30F capacitor going to help?
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 01:39   #257
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
So how is the 30F capacitor going to help?
By helping sell audio equipment, since its a demo car.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 09:18   #258
BHPian
 
sathee46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 465
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
By helping sell audio equipment, since its a demo car.
Yeah I think that is the main role of the capacitor, rather than stabilizing the voltage.
sathee46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 09:40   #259
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
By helping sell audio equipment, since its a demo car.
Yep, Nitrous has it spot on. I doubt if any sane person would buy everything that's there in the Estilo, but as a demonstrator, it's damn good. It's a proper 7.1 system. Did I tell you the SPL can be heard at Ameer Mahal? lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by sathee46 View Post
Yeah I think that is the main role of the capacitor, rather than stabilizing the voltage.
I think it's also to ensure that the alternator doesn't die when the SPL is cranked up. It's not possible to sit inside for more than a few seconds when it's in that mode. And a 30f capacitor looks big and intimidating. Total output should be in the range of 4500 RMS.

Last edited by Gilead : 15th August 2010 at 09:45.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 17:14   #260
Senior - BHPian
 
Mi10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 974
Thanked: 1,455 Times
Default

Guys, need your inputs fast and Quick.

I need a car that is SOLID. I needs to handle quite some power. I want to hear music only no rattles. Budget is 8.5 L Max.

Thinking of these three cars so support my ICE.

Fiesta S
(For: Stock Location of Midbasses, Looks, Power, Boot (Can have a nice big enclosure for my Ultimo )
Against: poor F/E, Resale value, Price exceeds 8L)
Figo TDCi
(For: Stock Location of Midbasses, City driveability, Good Mileage, Decent Boot space and Future plans for Tuning boxes
Against: Dated Diesel thats lacks outright performance, Not great looking either, Price 6.2L but no alloys, no fogs, no rear P/W )
Polo 1.6
(For: Build Quality seems superb, inside out, Good Boot space, Fresh and powerful
Against: Delivery by Oct only, Cramped Rear)

Please let me know of your thoughts

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Mi10 : 15th August 2010 at 17:17.
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 17:22   #261
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Guys, need your inputs fast and Quick.

I need a car that is SOLID. I needs to handle quite some power. I want to hear music only no rattles. Budget is 8.5 L Max.
Dude, you are nuts!!

I would have told you to go for the Vento Trendline Petrol, but it seems to be too basic. Go for the Fiesta S. Just listen to my 'undamped' car tonight. And you might have noticed some of the best ICE here are all running on Fiestas.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 10:49   #262
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,509
Thanked: 3,885 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I think it's also to ensure that the alternator doesn't die when the SPL is cranked up.
The 30F cap will at best allow for a few seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Fiesta S
(For: Stock Location of Midbasses, Looks, Power, Boot (Can have a nice big enclosure for my Ultimo )
Against: poor F/E, Resale value, Price exceeds 8L)
ICEers dont talk about FE and resale value. Banish those thoughts.

Just kidding but of thoese 3 cars teh Fiesta is your best option. If the price exceeds your budget maybe you can look at a slightly used one (2 years 20k) or if you want 2 x i3 carupters and all of the good stuff just steal Frank's!.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 11:41   #263
Senior - BHPian
 
Mi10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 974
Thanked: 1,455 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Dude, you are nuts!!

I would have told you to go for the Vento Trendline Petrol, but it seems to be too basic. Go for the Fiesta S. Just listen to my 'undamped' car tonight. And you might have noticed some of the best ICE here are all running on Fiestas.
Yes, i think it will be a toss up between the Polo 1.6 and Fiesta 1.6S.
But are built like fortress.

Heard my friends Figo TDCi. The NVH is quite high. Infact the Diesel clatter put me off almost immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
ICEers dont talk about FE and resale value. Banish those thoughts.
Agreed on the resale part. But FE ?? I need to drive and listen to my music ji, not park at home and listen

I like the banishing part, though ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

Just kidding but of thoese 3 cars teh Fiesta is your best option. If the price exceeds your budget maybe you can look at a slightly used one (2 years 20k) or if you want 2 x i3 carupters and all of the good stuff just steal Frank's!.
Used Fiesta wont get approval from Home ministry. But i really like the second part of the deal
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 20:50   #264
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
So how is the 30F capacitor going to help?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
By helping sell audio equipment, since its a demo car.
The installer called me after seeing the comments above.

He says the Estilo has a poor stock battery (same as Alto). His car has run only run 1500 kms in about a year and a half since it was bought and it stands idle in the garage acting as a demonstrator on most days. The alternator does not get to charge the battery often, so that's why he needs a 30 farad capacitor to keep the demos going. He does not install caps of these size in customer cars. He would be happy to clarify more on the phone or in person. Contact details are in the Directory.

Last edited by Gilead : 17th August 2010 at 20:59.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 22:33   #265
Senior - BHPian
 
Mi10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 974
Thanked: 1,455 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
The installer called me after seeing the comments above.

He says the Estilo has a poor stock battery (same as Alto). His car has run only run 1500 kms in about a year and a half since it was bought and it stands idle in the garage acting as a demonstrator on most days. The alternator does not get to charge the battery often, so that's why he needs a 30 farad capacitor to keep the demos going. He does not install caps of these size in customer cars. He would be happy to clarify more on the phone or in person. Contact details are in the Directory.
Hey great, so is the installer reading my thread, good i need not explain my objective in detail

BTW, will a 1 F Cap be ok for my power output ?
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 22:47   #266
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Hey great, so is the installer reading my thread, good i need not explain my objective in detail

BTW, will a 1 F Cap be ok for my power output ?
I don't know what your power output is. What is it.. 1500 RMS now? Best to call him and find out.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 10:52   #267
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,509
Thanked: 3,885 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
The installer called me after seeing the comments above.

The alternator does not get to charge the battery often, so that's why he needs a 30 farad capacitor to keep the demos going.
a. If the car does not run long enough to chrage the battery then when would it chrage the capacitor?

b. A capacitor is not a source of power it is just a store house of power that can be used for occasional peaks. A typical cap (1F) in a typical system (1000W rms) will provide power for just a few milliseconds (typically 20-50ms). For example for the kind of music I listen to (Jazz or Rock) it will do but for Trace and Hip Hop that have continous bass beats once the first beat drains the capacitor and second beat comes before the the capacitor has charged it wont help much.

c, The best way to tell if you need a cap is if the headlights dim for a few milliseconds everytime you get a bass peak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
BTW, will a 1 F Cap be ok for my power output ?
1F for 1000W is fine (given the limitations stated above).

BTW if it is purely a technical discussion we welcome your instalelrs view on thie forum so many others can read it at their leisure - we are open for discussion.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 11:12   #268
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
a. If the car does not run long enough to chrage the battery then when would it chrage the capacitor?
The car is started only when the ICE is switched on. Can the capacitor charge then, or does the car actually need to move to charge it?
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 11:30   #269
Senior - BHPian
 
Mi10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 974
Thanked: 1,455 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
The car is started only when the ICE is switched on. Can the capacitor charge then, or does the car actually need to move to charge it?
In case of Alternator whine, it generally increases when rpm increases.

Hence, i think Batteries and Caps do charge faster if we move. INfact, the faster we go, faster the alternators run and faster the Batteries / Caps charge

PLease correct me if am wrong in this intrepretation
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 12:05   #270
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Your installer will be better off keeping the battery connected to a battery charger in low charge mode. It is incorrect to expect 30F capacitor to be doing the job of a battery. Even if he is getting it for free!
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Happiness is...when a dream comes true! My Fiat Punto 1.3 Multijet Dynamic SUVU Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 21 29th March 2015 00:02
"...and the winner is Fiesta 1.6 S" - The Journey of a budget Audiophile Mi10 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 48 12th May 2012 20:26
In pursuit of happiness: my next car UPDATE: Skoda Yeti wins over C+ segment sedans ! GloryManUnited Sedans 82 4th January 2011 00:53
ICE for a true audiophile. Best 'real' sound quality? lynx In-Car Entertainment 48 6th January 2009 18:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:24.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks