Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 21st December 2009, 12:55   #1
BHPian

Default Good monoblock amp under 15k

I am looking to add a monoblock to my existing set-up: Bull Audio components front and rear, the rear ones being driven off the HU at present. Bull Audio 12" ported sub in the boot, right now powered by bridging 2 channels off a Kenwood 8401 amp and the other 2 channels powering the components in the front. As an upgrade I plan to add a monoblock to drive the sub and use the 8401 to drive the front and rear components. I have heard good things about the Kenwood 9104D and the Infinity Reference 1600a. Can any one throw some light on the capabilities and the pricing of these 2 amps?
Thanks.
P.S. The Bull Audio sub is rated at 200 Watt RMS at 4 ohms
ilovefls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 12:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefls
P.S. The Bull Audio sub is rated at 200 Watt RMS at 4 ohms
The Kenwood 8401's bridge channel should do, then.
You won't be needing a mono unless you're upgrading the sub as well.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 13:41   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
The Kenwood 8401's bridge channel should do, then.
You won't be needing a mono unless you're upgrading the sub as well.
Well, in case you did not realize I want to run the rear components off the 4 ch amp and that's the reason I need a mono for the sub. There might be a sub upgrade in the future, nothing planned for the moment though.
Old 21st December 2009, 14:15   #4
BHPian

a kicker 300.1 or an eclipse should do..
ive run both and both are exceptionally good!
wildchild4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 14:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild4lyfe View Post
a kicker 300.1 or an eclipse should do..
ive run both and both are exceptionally good!
Kicker 300.1 puts out only 150 Watt RMS at 4 ohms. I'd like something with more headroom to be usable with future upgrades as well and that's why I narrowed down to Kenwood 9104 or Infinity Ref 1600a.
Old 21st December 2009, 16:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefls View Post
Kicker 300.1 puts out only 150 Watt RMS at 4 ohms. I'd like something with more headroom to be usable with future upgrades as well and that's why I narrowed down to Kenwood 9104 or Infinity Ref 1600a.
Well I guess then you run the risk of blowing your sub if you are not careful with the gains of your amp to drive a small sub like the Bull Audio SW-12 which can take 200 RMS. So ideally shouldnt you should replace your sub and amp which are well matched at the same time?
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 16:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Well I guess then you run the risk of blowing your sub if you are not careful with the gains of your amp to drive a small sub like the Bull Audio SW-12 which can take 200 RMS. So ideally shouldnt you should replace your sub and amp which are well matched at the same time?
Believe me it's not a small sub at all and as I mentioned I am looking to use the existing amp for the front and rear components so I will in any case need to get another amp for the sub.
Old 21st December 2009, 16:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefls View Post
Believe me it's not a small sub at all and as I mentioned I am looking to use the existing amp for the front and rear components so I will in any case need to get another amp for the sub.
Actually I have the same sub and when I said small, I meant the power handling. I guess its not very easy to get a get a small mono sub (I mean low power mono) for something like the SW-12 so its better to bridge a 2 channel or 4 channel amp and get about 200W to drive it.

But if you are OK to buy it from the US this is one hell of a smoking deal for a small mono sub.
Amazon.com: Phoenix Gold RSD300.1 300-Watt Monoblock Vehicle Amplifier: Car Electronics
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 16:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Actually I have the same sub and when I said small, I meant the power handling. I guess its not very easy to get a get a small mono sub (I mean low power mono) for something like the SW-12 so its better to bridge a 2 channel or 4 channel amp and get about 200W to drive it.

But if you are OK to buy it from the US this is one hell of a smoking deal for a small mono sub.
Amazon.com: Phoenix Gold RSD300.1 300-Watt Monoblock Vehicle Amplifier: Car Electronics
Thanks for the pointer but I would like to have an amp that would leave some headroom, don't want the amp to be clipping or overheating and the other thing is that I haven't heard great things about Phoenix amps. I'd rather stick to Kenwood or Infinity and that's why I mentioned the 2 choices I had narrowed down to. Also as I mentioned earlier I wanted to have the flexibility of upgrading my sub or adding another sub in the future.
Old 21st December 2009, 17:02   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Rush !

Team-BHP Classifieds - Kenwood KAC-9103d Monoblock amplifier (actual pics attached) - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Team-BHP Classifieds - Kenwood KAC-8104D 1000W Max, Class D Monoblock Amplifier - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Buy if you are ok with used.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 18:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

You can try and get Alpine MRP M500, does 300 at 4ohms. There are some great review on these.
Other option you can do is get a 2 channel amp to drive you rear and stick to your current amp setup.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 23:34   #12
BHPian

I had bought the first one almost a month back but unfortunately the guy has not even uninstalled his amp yet, leave alone delivering it to me! I was interested in the 2nd one as well but wanted to compare the prices of the Kenwood 9104 and the Infinity 1600a before deciding.
Old 21st December 2009, 23:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
You can try and get Alpine MRP M500, does 300 at 4ohms. There are some great review on these.
Other option you can do is get a 2 channel amp to drive you rear and stick to your current amp setup.
I'll take a look at the Alpine but again doesn't leave much room for future upgrades and I don't know how much it costs in comparison to the Kenwood and the Infinity amps I had shortlisted.
Old 22nd December 2009, 05:00   #14
BHPian

Kenwood makes good amps. What future upgrades are you considering ?
StreetAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 08:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Alpine v-power amps are considered better than the kenwoods and others and are mighty powerful as well as they are underrated. Don't go by the numbers, its got enough juice for future and they sound good.
Or you can checkout MB Quart discuss series amp. Good VFM and great performers.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote