Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 24th December 2009, 10:45   #1
BHPian

Unhappy front door speakers sounding bad!

I have installed 6" speaker in front doors of my Zen. I upgraded it from a small speaker to this one. I have not put packing inside the doors or speaker grill.

However these speaker are sounding really bad. I can hear only some mids. No bass no highs.

The speakers I have installed are real good. I had them in a box earlier and they sounded perfect.

I need suggestions on how can I improve the sound.

Thanks
Attached Images

devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 10:52   #2
BHPian

Dude, the speaker looks out of shape!! the outer ring is bent and its causing the rubber to bend as well... where ever you got it installed, was a really badly done job!!

Think your speaker is damaged now!! only mids will be heard no matter what the state of the speaker as long as the cone is not torn.. the bass is missing because of the damage to the speaker..

I suggest you put in a new pair!!
intoxicangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 11:03   #3
BHPian

Is that speaker cone and rubber surround warped? i'm seeing it from my phone looks warped to me. secondly what speakers are these. i understand you're saying they're real good but what are they how were they running earlier (i.e. amped, direct powered)
and lastly is that only a mid-cars driver? sure looks like it
valhallen.282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 11:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
Is that speaker cone and rubber surround warped? i'm seeing it from my phone looks warped to me. secondly what speakers are these. i understand you're saying they're real good but what are they how were they running earlier (i.e. amped, direct powered)
and lastly is that only a mid-cars driver? sure looks like it
These are normal speakers and not car speakers. I had them in a box in the rear powered by HU.

I did DIY thing and fixed them in front. Bought a new 6x9 JBL for rear.
Old 24th December 2009, 11:22   #5
BHPian

These being regular speakers don't have tweeters as car speakers have.
The speaker maybe made to play only Mid. But i don't think these speakers can play Highs.

I'll suggest you to switch to car speakers.
adishenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 11:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi Devang,

The speaker looks like just a mid bass cone to me. I do not see any tweeter at all so I dont suppose you will ever get any highs. And can you please specify what you mean by 'normal speaker & not a car speaker'? Have you removed it from some home audio equipment or something? What brand is it? Also like everyone has stated, the speaker seems to be damaged.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 11:49   #7
BHPian

Remove the speaker, ensure the rubber surround are not warped permanently.
If not then connect them before you put them back and play them. see if you get the mid bass.
If yes then your installation is the problem. The screw holding the speaker is pushing the rubber surround in and not allowing movement to produce mid bass.

If you get the mid bass from the speaker when not installed then be happy and get a proper installation done.

UM
UniqueMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 11:50   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
I have installed 6" speaker in front doors of my Zen. The speakers I have installed are real good. I had them in a box earlier and they sounded perfect.
A spekaer in one box will sound different if put in another box that does not suit it.

1. This speaker was probably meant ot work in a sealed box not in a car door (which is more lossy that a sealed box).
2. from the install pic it looks like the speaker was damaged during install
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 13:31   #9
BHPian

I checked, speaker isnt damaged. However the screws holes are under that rubber ring sounding the speaker cone. To screw it to door I had to lift the ring. Hence it looks damaged.

Yes, these are mid-bass speakers and I cant expect highs. But even lows are missing.

I agree to navin, these speakers may not be sounding good as I have put them in doors.

By normal speakers I meant, these are not car speakers but I had them in my home speaker box from which i removed and put it here.

Is there any way I can make it sound better and overcome door lossy enclosure?

How abt some fiberglass or cloth stuffing around speakers? Any suggestions?
Old 24th December 2009, 23:24   #10
Team-BHP Support

consider a cleaner install where the back of the speaker is working in a sealed box. One option is the XTC foam housings (they are not acoustically dead but offer you atleast some structure on which you can add some acoustically opague material).
navin is offline   Reply With Quote