Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 20th August 2011, 15:33   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Help for installing tweeters on Dashboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Venki,

Very many thanks to you for the links.

As is very rightly said "A photo is worth a thousand words". To me these have become bible.

These are eye openers for me.

I never thought the connector would contain these joints.
Just thought that bundle of wires must be running through these connectors.
Thanks a ton, Sir.

I am going to try this out tomorrow morning, with my camera with me for the detailed write-up here.

NO MORE NOOBS SHOULD GO THROUGH THIS TIME WASTING EXPERIENCE.
I think the thanks should go to Sankar for the links
venki7744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 23:48   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki7744 View Post
@Navin Ji I think he has not shown the connections to the Tweets and Mids. The o/p are still open. So I think it should be fine.

How right you are!

This XO allows for bi-wiring! So the input connections are correct as shown in the picture! Sorry. Man I am getting old!

Sorry everyone for any confusion.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 09:41   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Venki,

Very many thanks to you for the links.

As is very rightly said "A photo is worth a thousand words". To me these have become bible.

These are eye openers for me.

I never thought the connector would contain these joints.
Just thought that bundle of wires must be running through these connectors.
Thanks a ton, Sir.

I am going to try this out tomorrow morning, with my camera with me for the detailed write-up here.

NO MORE NOOBS SHOULD GO THROUGH THIS TIME WASTING EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, Sorry.

Extremely sorry for the inadvertent omission. I had in mind to thank both of you for saving me, but my age is getting on to me, like Navinji also commented. I too am growing old. So the mistake.

Please excuse me.

And thanks all my Seniors for helping me out.

By the way, I have wasted both these holidays, and nothing has been done so far. Now, I am planning to take a leave from my office and get the install done.

I shall keep you updated.

Regards.
deepfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 13:05   #109
BHPian

Update:

I installed the tweeters in the sail panels last Sunday, and went to my installer and got the second amplifier installed.

I am in the midst of tuning the amps myself

The sail panels look a little raw
Old 19th September 2011, 10:00   #110
BHPian

Default Problem with my ICE

Hi.

I recently got the ICE in my fusion upgraded.

The current configuration is:

HU: Pioneer DEH 6200BT (three pre-outs)

Front: Illusion IM 6.1

Rear: JBL GTO 0507cs

Sub: Illusion IM 12 in sealed enclosure.

Amps: 1. JBL GT5-A604 powering the fronts in bridged mode.

2. Blaupunkt Velocity VPA 2140 pro powering the sub in bridged mode.

The HU is powering the rear speakers.

The settings:

The crossover has been done at 80 Hz.

The Problem:

Today morning, when I switched on the system, everything was working fine, but just after about 5 minutes, all of a sudden, the front left stopped giving any sound.

What has gone wrong with the system, please advise.
Old 19th September 2011, 13:57   #111
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Problem with my ICE

Quote:
HU: Pioneer DEH 6200BT (three pre-outs)
Front: Illusion IM 6.1
Rear: JBL GTO 0507cs
Sub: Illusion IM 12 in sealed enclosure.
Amps: 1. JBL GT5-A604 powering the fronts in bridged mode.
2. Blaupunkt Velocity VPA 2140 pro powering the sub in bridged mode.

everything was working fine, but just after about 5 minutes, all of a sudden, the front left stopped giving any sound.
have you looked for a loose speaker wire?
navin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 14:59   #112
BHPian

Default Re: Problem with my ICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
have you looked for a loose speaker wire?
I have not done it still, Sir, but shall do it today evening.

But I did try to change the RCAs from left to right. Now I am thinking whether I was right in doing what I did.

Thanks mods for merging the threads.
Old 28th September 2011, 13:23   #113
BHPian

Default Re: Help & Advise for my Fusion ICE

Hi all.

The problem of loose connection has been solved, and now sound is sweet, albeit from the speakers only.

Another problem with the setup is the blaupunkt vpa 2140 pro (blau).

It seems there is a loose connection somewhere.

I shall try and narrate teh problem here

When the system is switched on, it is perfectly okay for a few seconds, and the bass feels perfect and fills the space nicely. But, after the initial hoopla, the bass goes down, and the blue light at the side of the amp starts blinking/dipping with each bass/low note. And, when I pull/nudge the power wire, the bass comes back to full power, and this goes on. Initially, I thought it to be a problem with the power wiring, and redid it, but the problem persists.

BTW, the power is supplied by 25mm wire and ground is by local amp wire. Could it, in any way, be the crux of the matter?
Old 28th September 2011, 17:42   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all.

The problem of loose connection has been solved, and now sound is sweet, albeit from the speakers only.

Another problem with the setup is the blaupunkt vpa 2140 pro (blau).

It seems there is a loose connection somewhere.

I shall try and narrate teh problem here

When the system is switched on, it is perfectly okay for a few seconds, and the bass feels perfect and fills the space nicely. But, after the initial hoopla, the bass goes down, and the blue light at the side of the amp starts blinking/dipping with each bass/low note. And, when I pull/nudge the power wire, the bass comes back to full power, and this goes on. Initially, I thought it to be a problem with the power wiring, and redid it, but the problem persists.

BTW, the power is supplied by 25mm wire and ground is by local amp wire. Could it, in any way, be the crux of the matter?
Few things I would check:

* Is the ground wire properly fixed to the body of the car.
* Is the GND wire as thick as the Power wire (+ ve). Otherwise its better to go and get a 25mm (may be Finolex) wire and connect it using Spade/Circular connector.
* Check if there is any part of speaker wire (sub-woofer) which may be touching the body or the other wire. This might be due to loose connection, some strands from one wire going across to the other wire either near the Binding post or near the amplifier OR some portion of the insulation may be cut during installation.

PS: Be very careful while handling the power wire, an electrocution can be Fatal. Its better to remove the ground wire connected to the battery (the whole connector) before playing around with the connections.

Venki
Old 29th September 2011, 10:40   #115
BHPian

Thanks, Venky for the solution.

I am going to do it.

But, please also clarify as to why, in the first place, (if the gnd wire should be as thick as the +ive wire), does the amp power up. If the case is of equal width of +ive and -ive wires, it should not turn on.

Actually, the amp turns on, and remains on, but the blue light on the side starts blinking. When I pull/push/nudge the power wires, it comes to full power, but due to vibrations, it reverts to its previous state.
Old 29th September 2011, 12:01   #116
BHPian

Quote:

But, please also clarify as to why, in the first place, (if the gnd wire should be as thick as the +ive wire), does the amp power up. If the case is of equal width of +ive and -ive wires, it should not turn on.
Well, strictly speaking the ground wire need not be as thick as the power wire (if the grounding point is very near to the amp). Use the following link to get the wire thickness per feet.

Recommended Power and Ground Cable Sizes & Speaker Wire Size and Length

Unless your ground wire is not that small its ok. But its always better to provide the least resistance path to the ground. Its like if x amps of current flows into the amp the same x amp would flow out of the ground cable. That is why I made that statement. Sorry if I confused you.

Quote:

Actually, the amp turns on, and remains on, but the blue light on the side starts blinking. When I pull/push/nudge the power wires, it comes to full power, but due to vibrations, it reverts to its previous state.
If this is the case it looks to me like some loose connection. Try and see if the Ground wire is firmly connected, If you have a multimeter you can check the resistance of the ground wire to the body (one wire to ground wire lug and the other to the an exposed nut in the car body). Try re-tightening the screws which attach the power wire to the amp. See if the power wire is under stain where it connects to the amp (once in my case the lug connection to the power wire came loose). My experience is restricted to all the DIY I do on my car . ICE Gurus in this forum will definitely have a much better idea/suggestions on why this is happening.

Venki
Old 30th September 2011, 21:04   #117
Senior - BHPian

Please check the wire connected to the Remote Switch-on output of the HU - may be a loose connection there on either side.

Grounding issues will show up differently - noise, especially alternator noise in sync with engine RPM. The power wire, with so much girth, is unlikely to be the culprit either, unless there is a dry solder showing up on the amp board (unlikely).
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 10:26   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Please check the wire connected to the Remote Switch-on output of the HU - may be a loose connection there on either side.

Grounding issues will show up differently - noise, especially alternator noise in sync with engine RPM. The power wire, with so much girth, is unlikely to be the culprit either, unless there is a dry solder showing up on the amp board (unlikely).
I haven't checked the remote wire. Shall do it asap.

There is no alternator noise.

But, a surprising thing happened. I 'fingured' the sub amp while driving (the amp is placed below the driver's seat), and the sound got alright.

Please excuse me for using the word, but I did actually put my hand under the amp and shook it while driving.

It has been two days since then, and there have been no fluctuations in sound. Am clueless as to how it got corrected.

Any pointers?

Last edited by deepfusion : 1st October 2011 at 10:28.
Old 1st October 2011, 19:41   #119
Senior - BHPian

Loose connection either at the connector or on the main board. Hope it is at the connector only. If on the main board, one has to open the top cover and poke around for the culprit. Blaupunkt service guys are still around, and they should be able to replicate the problem in their workshop.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 14:47   #120
BHPian

Gurus,

The amp powering the sub got fried.

I am looking for a new amp now.

Which one should I go for?

The specs of the sub are:

Illusion Audio lm 12.1, 400w RMS, Single 3" 4ohm coil, rubber surround, cast basket, gold 5way posts, front mounted neodymium magnet.

I am getting a good deal on JBL GT5-A3011 with 200 wrms at disposal. Would it be good enough? Should I go for it?