Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:04   #16
BHPian
 
triedeverything's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 492
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

I talked to MapmyIndia. They don't have any double din systems. All their devices are windshield mounted ones.

Come on folks some help here! What should my config be for the budget I have?

I was looking at the Kenwood DDX 5320 used as original equipment in the Cedia. Any opinions?
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:55   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,192
Thanked: 1,117 Times
Default

This thread could not have come up at a better time. I am contemplating the same set-up...but ofcourse I plan to get an android mobile phone, download google maps on to it and place a holder on the car and set this up.

Secondly, I will use the HU for BT, DVD, and Music only. Why pay for maps, when you get it free?!

I should invariably be able to beat the price of a system that has all of this put together, and I should get better output because of using specialized devices for specialized uses.

Munch on that one.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:17   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,387
Thanked: 338 Times
Default

For this, Nokia/Windows phones would be a better choice then Android.

Reason is, not many GPS applications support android platform. And google maps require GPRS to be available.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 17:55   #19
BHPian
 
triedeverything's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 492
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

I should invariably be able to beat the price of a system that has all of this put together, and I should get better output because of using specialized devices for specialized uses.

Munch on that one.
Interesting suggestion. But I'm fixated with one device that can do all this and I'm willing to pay the price for it. Anyway, what according to you is the difference? Also, how can you say that a device that I am looking for will be a compromise when it comes to each function - music, GPS?
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 21:51   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,192
Thanked: 1,117 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
For this, Nokia/Windows phones would be a better choice then Android.

Reason is, not many GPS applications support android platform. And google maps require GPRS to be available.
Strange. What if I download the maps I require for a particular trip and use them? NOT download them and use them on the go.

Still, considering Nokia maps are free now, I am better off buying a used Nokia, and converting it to a stand-alone GPS device within the car! Used android phones are not going to come by anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Interesting suggestion. But I'm fixated with one device that can do all this and I'm willing to pay the price for it. Anyway, what according to you is the difference? Also, how can you say that a device that I am looking for will be a compromise when it comes to each function - music, GPS?
I know the feeling. But I am from a school of thought that believes that you buy a specific thing to do a specific job. So my vehicles: A scorpio for long distance and city running around, a jeep for offroading, a twin cylinder two stroke for the adrenaline rush, and other additions as I go along.

From my perspective, its far cheaper (and possibly better) to get a Nokia phone, convert it into a GPS device in the car, get the maps free, and buy another unit to just do the BT/Music/DVD. I have a scorpio mHawk refresh too, and the phone will sit right on the dash within a holder. You also have to remember that manufacturers of all-in-one units would have also locked the map-purchases with either 1 external supplier (and therefore get a cut), or they will provide it themselves at a high cost.

Now Nokia gives it free...and so does Google.

Something goes wrong with the phone, I can replace it in a jiffy and continue my trips.

I would like to ask you a question: Why be so perseverant in spending a LOT of money to get something which can be done far cheaper and more efficiently - locally? Sure, it looks a lot more cooler...but I really cannot think of any reasons beyond that. Even the place where the 2 DIN unit has to sit is weird in the Scorpio, and you have to train your eyes well away from the road to see anything there! I have never missed steering mounted controls as much as I do now! Horrible ergonomics!

Now, have you found anything that does the BT and Music/DVD better than the rest? What are the prices? My deck needs a change.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 22:20   #21
BHPian
 
triedeverything's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 492
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Prices vary from 24K to 32K for products from JVC, Pioneer and Kenwood. I am yet to listen to the quality of sound and that is one of the reasons I've asked for advise from users who already use any of these. No point reinventing the wheel. I know the Cedia comes with the Kenwood DDX 5032 and most Cedia owners I have interacted with have good reviews of this product.

What do you have in mind?

I find the steering buttons awkwardly placed on the Scorpio. In fact, I have to look at the buttons before using them.

Once I freeze on the device, I'll then reach out to map makers in India to find a solution for the issue that you have raised. I have a couple of phones that have GPS (both windows and android) I'm thinking the larger screen (7") will make up for the 'larger' distance your eyes need to move. Anyway, one thing is certain, you have to take your eyes of the road to look at either solution. Now to think of it again, since you have audio prompts, it shouldn't really matter.

Last edited by triedeverything : 3rd February 2010 at 22:28.
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 13:36   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,192
Thanked: 1,117 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Prices vary from 24K to 32K for products from JVC, Pioneer and Kenwood. I am yet to listen to the quality of sound and that is one of the reasons I've asked for advise from users who already use any of these. No point reinventing the wheel. I know the Cedia comes with the Kenwood DDX 5032 and most Cedia owners I have interacted with have good reviews of this product.

What do you have in mind?

I find the steering buttons awkwardly placed on the Scorpio. In fact, I have to look at the buttons before using them.

Once I freeze on the device, I'll then reach out to map makers in India to find a solution for the issue that you have raised. I have a couple of phones that have GPS (both windows and android) I'm thinking the larger screen (7") will make up for the 'larger' distance your eyes need to move. Anyway, one thing is certain, you have to take your eyes of the road to look at either solution. Now to think of it again, since you have audio prompts, it shouldn't really matter.
Have you looked at Alpine products? I rate them higher than Kenwood, JVC, or Pioneer. I have been an Alpine user all my life. They have all-in-one products like what you wanted too. Not sure about the price though. Expect it to be steep.

I am going to start trawling international forums about this...the problem is by the time you finish selecting a product, it would have received an upgrade!

Alpine Electronics of Asia Pacific Co., Ltd.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 14:18   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
vkochar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Delhi / Agra / London
Posts: 2,031
Thanked: 214 Times
Default

A friend of mine recently purchased a double din DVD touch screen with sat nav from Kenwood in Delhi ( I think with bill its less than 30k ).

Comes preloaded with maps for India.

It is the same HU that comes in the Cedia now as stock.

Works excellent and is very good VFM. w/o bill I hear it retails for about 20k !!

In fact someone here on the forum had put it up for sale. You might want to check the classifieds section.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 21:52   #24
BHPian
 
triedeverything's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 492
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Thanks kochar! I've reached out to him. Lets hope he still has it.

By the way, I saw the ad for the new Endy and it too had a 2 din touch screen. Any ideas on what make this one is?
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 23:21   #25
BHPian
 
aditbelw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore/Naini
Posts: 156
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

I am sure, any System running on Win CE/WIN Mobile, has support for GPS navigation for any compatible maps.

I am using a Priority Double din DVD system which mentioned GPS supported.I earlier thought, I just need to get the maps, and am good. But realized later I required to get an additional unit for the system.

Found one on ebay.com, and ordered for $100+($42 Shipping ,on company UPS account). When the unit arrived got it fixed, and bought the MAP set from mapmyindia.com. It is working.

Though, if you want to pay a premium, satguide.in has a double din unit with GPS @ Rs 35,000/-.
aditbelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 01:09   #26
BHPian
 
diveshsingh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 99
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Try this link
Universal
diveshsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 12:23   #27
BHPian
 
triedeverything's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 492
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditbelw View Post
I am sure, any System running on Win CE/WIN Mobile, has support for GPS navigation for any compatible maps.

I am using a Priority Double din DVD system which mentioned GPS supported.I earlier thought, I just need to get the maps, and am good. But realized later I required to get an additional unit for the system.

Found one on ebay.com, and ordered for $100+($42 Shipping ,on company UPS account). When the unit arrived got it fixed, and bought the MAP set from mapmyindia.com. It is working.

Though, if you want to pay a premium, satguide.in has a double din unit with GPS @ Rs 35,000/-.
Adit, so from what I understand, you are speaking of a GPS receiver. Where did you fix it? Also, do they have external antenna or is it mounted on the dash so that it has line of sight with the satellites?

Thanks Divesh. Any idea on the prices?
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 13:46   #28
BHPian
 
aditbelw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore/Naini
Posts: 156
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Adit, so from what I understand, you are speaking of a GPS receiver. Where did you fix it? Also, do they have external antenna or is it mounted on the dash so that it has line of sight with the satellites?

Thanks Divesh. Any idea on the prices?
This is the head unit I am using, which has an interface for external GPS unit.

Priority : Head Unit : RVD-9350TV

And this one is the GPS unit,which runs on Win CE 5.0, with SD card support( GPS maps are loaded on this).These two connect via special cable.

Priority

Have kept the GPS unit under the Front passenger seat like many do with the Amps. The GPS antenna, though it has a magnetic base to be used on the car body ,but since I did not like the idea of running cable through the door have fixed the GPS antenna on the dash, with a clear view of sky through the wind shield.

The installation/fixing was done at Pit Stop ,Bangalore by a chap who usually works on my car.
aditbelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 14:25   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,192
Thanked: 1,117 Times
Default

Never heard of this brand before. Chinese? The dealer lists Thailand. How long have you had this?
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 14:34   #30
BHPian
 
aditbelw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore/Naini
Posts: 156
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Never heard of this brand before. Chinese? The dealer lists Thailand. How long have you had this?

It's a Taiwanese company with manufacturing hub in China. Almost everything comes from China, now days it seems.

Have had this system for more than a year now, without any faults till date.
aditbelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nokia launches X6 with capacitive touch screen ksethuram Gadgets, Computers & Software 9 30th July 2010 11:55
touch screen monitors -- ams impex kippu In-Car Entertainment 0 26th January 2009 09:14
Help - iPhone touch screen dead ntomer Gadgets, Computers & Software 27 11th June 2008 17:13
need touch screen vga monitior arjunkr In-Car Entertainment 1 31st January 2008 14:21
1DIN, touch screen USB.... DRC In-Car Entertainment 15 18th September 2007 13:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks