Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2005, 20:45   #226
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
JK

FYI 8 ohms is easier load than 4 ohms for an amplifer to handle. But 4+4 does not mean 8 ohms you can wire it in parallel to get 2 ohm load also...if you have a 2 ohm stable amplifier.
8 ohms is easier load than 4 ohms for the amp.

4 ohms is easier load than 2 ohms for the amp.

Power from the amp is highest at 2 ohms than 4 ohms and than 8 ohms.

Most amplifiers are stable 4 ohms and above, do the maths!

Last edited by aseem : 10th October 2005 at 20:46.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2005, 20:51   #227
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

well aseem lets not start an argument on this thread too..but not all 4ch amps as u made them out to be are that bad at playing at 2 ohms load (simple fact is then why would they provide them at all if its not satisfactorily stable at 2 ohms)..it also depends on the volume levels u play,at highly insane volumes u are as a matter of fact heating up any amp be it stable at 4 ohms ya 2 ohms..yes playing an amp at 2 ohms will make the amp work a bit more,but that should be overcome to a certain extent by good wiring and heat sinks..i could be wrong though and if i am will the audio gurus pls correct me..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2005, 20:53   #228
BHPian
 
Autophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 930
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Aseem,

Firstly I do not really care if you discourage anybody from buying any products. I am here simply to help newbies like you understand car audio basics better and hopefully one day when your car sounds wonderful you will thank all the people like me on Team BHP who helped you reach that goal.

I am not discussing this to sell a product. If you knew me better you would understand our solid reputation is built on unbiased understanding of audio and appreciation for all good products (our or others).

If you go by the specs the eventual loudness of 93dB 4 Ohm (final impedance for 2+2 in series) subwoofer and 97dB 8 Ohm (final impedance for 4+4 in series) will be same. The 3dB gain in sensitivity compensates for the doubling of impedance.

Also, know this. You are more likely to find a 'budget' 2ohm stable mono amp than a 1ohm stable amp. In which case, if you have a 2ohm stable amp (like a Pioneer 7100), you have the OPTION of wiring your 4+4 sub in parallel for 2ohm load, which the amp will happily handle the 2ohm load of the 4+4 sub and loudness will be many times more.

Similarly, the 2+2 ohm sub can be parallel wired for a 1ohm load. Unfortunately, 1ohm stable amps are expensive.
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2005, 21:04   #229
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
Firstly I do not really care if you discourage anybody from buying any products. I am here simply to help newbies like you understand car audio basics better and hopefully one day when your car sounds wonderful you will thank all the people like me on Team BHP who helped you reach that goal.
Please refrain from calling me a newbie and yourself the self declared guru. I acknowledge the fact you know more being from the industry, but dont ellude arrogance. We are all here to learn from each other. This forum is not about a selected few teaching and preaching others, this forum is about all of us learning from each other. We all have the right to our views, and this forum is about sharing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
Also, know this. You are more likely to find a 'budget' 2ohm stable mono amp than a 1ohm stable amp. In which case, if you have a 2ohm stable amp (like a Pioneer 7100), you have the OPTION of wiring your 4+4 sub in parallel for 2ohm load, which the amp will happily handle the 2ohm load of the 4+4 sub and loudness will be many times more.
I already know that. Please read in what I have said, I stated most 4 channel amps are stable 4 ohms and above. You know it too, so lets leave it at that!

Last edited by aseem : 10th October 2005 at 21:17.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2005, 21:15   #230
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Exclamation

alright, so thats abt subs.

i was thinking of buying 502z.
and frm its spec
2 Ch x 50W at 4 ohm (0.04% THD)
1 Ch x 120W at 4 ohm (0.1% THD)
1 Ch x 60W at 2 ohm (0.1% THD)

so, 502z would be better for the 4 ohm sub. right ? what all r my other options ( i dont think 502z is powerful enough 2 drive the 2 ohm amp); ie a better amo to drive a 4 ohm or 2 ohm sub

Last edited by jkdas : 10th October 2005 at 21:21.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2005, 21:34   #231
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
alright, so thats abt subs.

i was thinking of buying 502z.
and frm its spec
2 Ch x 50W at 4 ohm (0.04% THD)
1 Ch x 120W at 4 ohm (0.1% THD)
1 Ch x 60W at 2 ohm (0.1% THD)

so, 502z would be better for the 4 ohm sub. right ? what all r my other options ( i dont think 502z is powerful enough 2 drive the 2 ohm amp); ie a better amo to drive a 4 ohm or 2 ohm sub
Most amplifiers are not stable at 2 ohms in bridged mode. So you would in all likelihood need a mono to run a subwoofer at 2 ohms.

Sony 504/502 is not stable at 2 ohms, they become very very hot. Like stated by Jasdeep, if you plan to buy his Hertz subwoofer, than you would need to go for a mono amp stable at 2 ohms, or wire the sub in series to get the effective impedance at 8 ohms.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2005, 22:05   #232
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

thanks aseem and JB and maclaren

in b /w i was googling for mono amps and i came across some. i refined my search 2 jbls and pioneers. then i found jbls had some gr8 mono amps which r priced below 200 dollars! and ther was one at 120dollars (CS 200.1 , pumps out 236 Watt @ 4 ohms!!!)

check teh link
http://www.sounddomain.com/shop/comp...%2BMono%2BAmps
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2005, 22:16   #233
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,737
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
thanks aseem and JB and maclaren

in b /w i was googling for mono amps and i came across some. i refined my search 2 jbls and pioneers. then i found jbls had some gr8 mono amps which r priced below 200 dollars! and ther was one at 120dollars (CS 200.1 , pumps out 236 Watt @ 4 ohms!!!)

check teh link
http://www.sounddomain.com/shop/comp...%2BMono%2BAmps
I dont think we get CS 200.1 in India. I may be wrong!
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2005, 22:22   #234
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
I dont think we get CS 200.1 in India. I may be wrong!
yup, they only have 300.1 and up ! its a shame

anyway both cost the same ( 120 is the promo price) ...

Last edited by jkdas : 10th October 2005 at 22:25.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2005, 23:01   #235
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Please refrain from calling me a newbie and yourself the self declared guru. I acknowledge the fact you know more being from the industry, but dont ellude arrogance.
No Aseem, Jasdeep doesnt consider himself a guru, many others do. Being from the industry doesnt mean anything, I can show you plenty of people from BIG brands who dont know their products or their field one bit.

Aseem, trust me, the day you demonstrate any expert like abilities (that doesnt include exceptional abilities to wear out the "Ctrl" "C" and "V" keys on a keyboard), you will find a two very happy guys on Team BHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
I already know that. Please read in what I have said, I stated most 4 channel amps are stable 4 ohms and above. You know it too, so lets leave it at that!
Er... even I can make out he was answering JK. But this is for you... There are many 4ch amps that are 4/2/1 ohm stable per channel and 2ohm stable in bridged mode. If you need an example, look at the Audison VRx amps.

Last edited by gunbir : 10th October 2005 at 23:03.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2005, 23:07   #236
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
i was thinking of buying 502z.
and frm its spec
2 Ch x 50W at 4 ohm (0.04% THD)
1 Ch x 120W at 4 ohm (0.1% THD)
1 Ch x 60W at 2 ohm (0.1% THD)
Hi JK

Where did you get those specs. Normally the 2ohm bridged power will be more than the 4ohm bridged. So the 2ohm bridged figure should be 160w @2ohms. Maybe a typo... look around and confirm.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2005, 23:19   #237
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Hi JK

Where did you get those specs. Normally the 2ohm bridged power will be more than the 4ohm bridged. So the 2ohm bridged figure should be 160w @2ohms. Maybe a typo... look around and confirm.
frm sonyindia.co.in !

and even i thought so. maybe its a typo by them
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2005, 23:35   #238
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Hi JK

Where did you get those specs. Normally the 2ohm bridged power will be more than the 4ohm bridged. So the 2ohm bridged figure should be 160w @2ohms. Maybe a typo... look around and confirm.
so, you can look at these configs:

a. 2Ohm sub @ 160w
b. 4Ohm sub @ 120w
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2005, 23:46   #239
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
so, you can look at these configs:

a. 2Ohm sub @ 160w
b. 4Ohm sub @ 120w

c what i got frm sony's uk site, so maybe its a bad amp 2 work at 2ohm




Rated Output Power (DIN 45500)

Max. channel configuration at 4 ohm (W):2 x 50

Min. channel configuration at 4 ohm (W):1 x 120

Max. channel configuration at 2 ohm (W):2 x 60

Max. channel configuration at 1 ohm (W):NO

Rated Output Power, RMS 20 - 20000 Hz

Max. channel configuration at 4 ohm (W) / THD (%):2x 50 / 0.04%

Min. channel configuration at 4 ohm (W) / THD (%):1 x 120 / 0.1%

Max. channel configuration at 2 ohm (W) / THD (%):2 x 60 / 0.1

Max. channel configuration at 1 ohm (W) / THD (%):NO

Last edited by jkdas : 10th October 2005 at 23:54.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2005, 00:02   #240
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Yeah.. I checked too.. the India site also states the 2ohm output as 60w. Well in this case its better if you go for a 4ohm or 8ohm config. In the long run a mono amp might be better though.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Santro Xing vs old Santro Xing (eRLX) DCEite The Indian Car Scene 3 21st May 2012 21:48
One question about tyres of Old Santro and New Santro Xing DDGuy Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 5 12th November 2008 13:35
Santro Xing XL - car audio advice needed... smartindboy In-Car Entertainment 3 12th October 2007 11:17
Basic ICE setup for Santro Xing sameergreat In-Car Entertainment 9 20th December 2006 11:50
New Santro Xing/ Need Alloy & Audio tips! sumanvr Modifications & Accessories 1 20th October 2006 10:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks