Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 30th January 2010, 20:38   #1
BHPian

Question ICE for new Chevy Beat LS

Hello gurus,
This is my first post in the ICE section of t-bhp

I'm planning to book the new Chevy Beat LS. Actually, most people recommend booking the LT version since its more VFM, packed with features like auto climate control etc, but GTO mentioned in his excellent review of the Beat, that the sound quality in the integrated ICE in LT is 'awful'. This is the ONLY reason I'm considering purchasing an LS (the difference is about 45k OTR). So my question is twofold:
  1. I'm a bit confused if I'm doing the right thing by going for LS. What do you think? The LS has lackluster interiors as well.
  2. If I go for the LS, what is the best system you would recommend for 12-15k?
I'm a total newbie to ICE'ing up a car, but I hate sub-par audio quality. I consider myself a 'budget' audiophile (E.g., I like to listen my music on my Koss KSC-75 clipon headphones and am planning to splurge on some entry level Sennheisers soon - and I have a fair amount of idea of portable audio equipment, IEMs, headphones etc).

BUT..

I'm pretty much clueless about car audio and what I would want in my ICE setup. If you know the KSC-75, you'd know that I like a more 'fun' signature to my music, and do not like missing out on any of bass (not too much thump, just the right tightness), mids and especially treble detail.

I read the 'basic ICE systems post' and it seems to be a bit dated. Experts, could you recommend a decent HU + speaker combo, given my taste

I don't want to go for an AMP right now. (So I'm looking at HU+Speakers at 12-15k)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Eddy : 31st January 2010 at 11:37. Reason: Not more than 2 smilies allowed.
quadmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 01:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

The Beat is possible the worst car to ICE in the market right now.

The stock setup is 4" speakers in the dash and the 4" speakers in the rear parcel shelf.

There are no provisions in the doors at all.

So you would need some decent 4" speakers up front and for the rear, a mdf plank parcel shelf with a pair 6X9 speakers. These will eat into the boot a bit.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 08:52   #3
BHPian

Thanks vid6639. What is your opinion of the LT sound quality? I haven't been able to check that yet. Is it passable, or not even that? I.e. would you go for LT, given the problems with ICEing up her?

And regarding the setup you've mentioned, what are the components recommended?
Old 31st January 2010, 10:03   #4
BHPian

Hey Congrats on booking the car!!!

Am not an expert ought here, but lemme throw some inputs.

A Decent Pioneer HU grey [6k-8k]
JBL Front Components [4.5k - 5k]
This has 2 Speakers + 2 Tweeters + 2 Crossovers
JBL Rear Oval Speakers [3k-5k]
MDF Plank + Wiring + Spacing - 1k.

If you are happy with this, lets discuss more in detail & get down to models. Wat say?
Sai Narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 11:29   #5
BHPian

Panasonic HU with USB - 7k
JVC 4" coax for front - 1.5k
JBL 6x9 for rear - 4k
Parcel tray and installation - 1k

Wires come with the speakers as a package.
shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 15:22   #6
BHPian

Thumbs up

hi,
Congrats on your new car. It truly is an exciting design. My two cents on the ICE options are as follows,

Your HU selection would depend on the size of the HU slot in the dashboard, i.e. Single or Double DIN.
Options in your budget and features requirement, would send you down the path of Kenwood, JVC, Panasonic and Pioneer. The price to features ratio with pioneer is better than their performance, so keep it as the last option.

For the front speakers, instead of co-ax, i would recommend components. Considering the 4" limitation, you need all the quality that you can get. As far as I know, the only one available is the Illusion El 4.1. PM B&T for pricing and availability in your area.

As for the rear speakers, if you can go in for 6*9" ovals on a mdf plank, then nothing like it; especially since you don't have a sub or an amp. Options again include Illusion Audio, GZ, JBL, Infinity, etc amongst others.

Once you've selected your equipment, ensure that you get a good installer who will care for the install as much as possible. Its ghastly to see a brand new car being mutilated by an ignorant local installer. Get a wiring harness to hook up the HU and preserve the warranty.
Also, please click and upload loads of snaps documenting the install.

Most importantly, its your car, money and ears; so its your call on the equipment that goes into it.

Good luck and keep us posted.
St. Anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 17:03   #7
BANNED

guys, i am also planning to go in for beat LT option pack. So, i will be sticking to the stock HU, but would be adding an amp. But, i need to upgrade the speakers, now i know most of the options is 6.5" co-axials or compos but dont have any idea about 4" speakers. i need to know all the possible options available for components for the front and coax for the rear for beat. I want to know the options in rainbow or illusion or ID or any other good brands and the latest prices if possible. Even in the rear i don't want to spoil the stock look, so want to go in for only stock size.
slayer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 17:21   #8
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I have *NOT* booked the car yet, which is why I asked this post - whether going for the LS makes sense over going for the LT.

Today I happened to test the stereo of the LT, and it was just about average.

I'll keep you guys posted on my final decision and final ICE setup.

Also, if any of you happen to know a good ICE installer in Hyderabad, please PM me or post here :-)
Old 11th February 2010, 18:01   #9
BHPian

Hey guys, i'll be getting my LT option pack in a couple of days. I've already placed an order for 4" illusion components for the front and 4" illusion coaxials for the rear. I didn't want to do anything to the car which is why I bought the stock size. My only question at this point is, will an amplifier make a difference ( I have no plans of adding a sub) or will the factory headunit be able to power the speakers adequately? Speaking of which, can the headunit support an amp? If so, which amp would you guys recommend considering the needs. thanks!
bbyf16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 19:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyf16 View Post
Hey guys, i'll be getting my LT option pack in a couple of days. I've already placed an order for 4" illusion components for the front and 4" illusion coaxials for the rear. I didn't want to do anything to the car which is why I bought the stock size. My only question at this point is, will an amplifier make a difference ( I have no plans of adding a sub) or will the factory headunit be able to power the speakers adequately? Speaking of which, can the headunit support an amp? If so, which amp would you guys recommend considering the needs. thanks!
Illusions play well when powered from the HU. If you dont listen to music loud, then the built-in amp in the HU should be sufficient. Adding an amp makes a noticable difference. However as you are not adding a sub, you cannot expect lot of bass out of the 4" drivers powered either from HU or the amp.

I am not sure regarding the pre-outs on the beat's stock HU. But if it doesnt have any, you can choose an amp that accepts speaker level inputs.

That said, you can first try by firing the speakers from the HU and see if it is satisfactory. Then you can decide if you need an amp.

You forgot to mention your budget for the amp.

Last edited by shreyasma : 11th February 2010 at 19:33.
shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 20:12   #11
BHPian

my budget for an amp would not be more than 6k. I was figuring on just buying everything at one shot (car, speakers, tire) rather than slowly. kinda like the band aid approach, pulling it off fast is always better
Old 19th February 2010, 16:08   #12
BHPian

I put in the illusion components in the front and they sound quite well. Have to wait a while before I can put in the coax in the back because the beat has a weird shape and I need to have my audio guy make a special bracket for it. From the way it sounds right now, I doubt i'll need an amp.
Old 18th October 2011, 11:09   #13
BHPian

Default Opinion on Kenwood KIV-BT901/701

Hi,

I am planning to get a ICE for my chevy beat. Any opinions on the above kenwood HUs welcome. Also, inputs on kenwood X995 also appreciated. I see a few positives regarding the X995 but the UI it appears is hard to operate.

I would be installing this on a beat and will be driving the speakers directly. So speaker advice is also needed on 4 inch front components/6.5 inch front components and 5x7 rear co-axials. Will be ordering it from US through a friend and have a budget of max 20000 Rs/500 USD max.

HUs mentioned above is almost 300USD so I have a limited budget for the speakers. So entry level components with high sensitivity is what I am after probably not very harsh sounding ones.

Please suggest sites online with decent prices and good reputation. I had experience with sonicelectronix earlier ordering AMPs, speakers etc but they require additional charges for ordering through indian credit cards it seems.
ramkris is offline   Reply With Quote