Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 6th February 2010, 15:30   #1
BHPian

Default Danish Acoustics Pristinum Series - Has anyone heard of these?

One day I was just searching the web for audiophile grade component speakers, and came across this brand called Danish Acoustics and its Prisitnum series made by a company in Singapore called Acoustic Technologies. From what I have managed to find out, they retail for about SGD 700 and are purely SQ oriented and perform best when powered in passive mode.

The tweeter chamber is damped and the woofer uses barium ferrite magnets. Are these better than Neodymium magnets for speaker design?

Has anyone here heard of, or auditioned these speakers?

The specs and design appears to be pretty impressive to my noobish nature.Am pretty intrigued by them and may even audition them on my visit to S'pore soon.

Am attaching a link that contains the pdf brochure for these speakers and would like to know your opinions on the same.

http://www.acoustictechnology.sg/pristinum.pdf

Last edited by pranava999 : 6th February 2010 at 15:44.
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 12:48   #2
BHPian

Bump!!!! Any opinions??
Old 9th February 2010, 17:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

Sam or B&T or one of the Pros might know more but I suspect that this company is a mix of Chinese and Danish.

See a long long time ago there was a man called Ejvind Skaaning who founded Dynaudio and ScanSpeak (and much later AudioTechnology).

Later on there was Peerless, ScanSpeak and VifaSpeak all based in and around Videbaek Denmark. Some years later a VC bought these 3 companies and folded them into one called Tympany. At this time a lot of engineers left these 3 companies (esp ScanSpeak) and moved to other places including some who set up shop in China (which was already producign 70% of the world's drivers).

I suspect Danish Acoustics is a company that manufactures it's goods in China but with some connection to a Danish university (where much of the reasearch in acoustics was conducted in the pre-Tympany days). I dont how good or bad their products are as I have not heard them but I have only seen them in Singapore or was it Malaysia - oh well somehere in South East Asia.

Hope this helps.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 19:58   #4
BHPian

Thanks Navin for the lovely bit of history. Truly fascinating. The number of takeovers and mergers that seem to happen are so alike the software industry where small niche high end audiophile companies get taken over or merged.

Yes, tey seem to be pretty popular in Singapore. Did you go through the specs/engineering? Any opinions on that?
Old 10th February 2010, 09:55   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
The number of takeovers and mergers that seem to happen are so alike the software industry
Yes, tey seem to be pretty popular in Singapore. Did you go through the specs/engineering? Any opinions on that?
Ref: M&A - every so often some rich guy who has an interest in audio decides he can make a go of it in the audio industry and gives up after he looses 10-20 million or so. In the 90s easy money (read as VCs) got into the act and like Tympany have found it tough going.

Ref: Specs - I never really consider published specs.

a. they are not consistent - the measuring methods and systems used are not the same across all manufacturers

b. they do not tell the full story - for example unless freq response curves are accompanies by 4D graphs, distortion data, and FFT data they are terrible indicators of what the loudspeaker is capbale of. By saying the loudspekaer can go from 50Hz to 20kHz +/-3db you are saying nothing.

c. how do you compare the sound of a SE 300B amp with 3% distortion (at rated power) to a 100W SS class AB amp with 0.00001% distortion? And BTW what is the difference between 0.01% distortion and 0.0000001% distortion?

Published specs are not written by engineers. They are written by marketing companies. Just ask Bose.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 18:04   #6
BHPian

Guess so. Thanks, Me not a technical guy just go with my ears. BTW glad to see you are not a big fan of Bose, I never liked em much. Too overrated and overpriced. What I consider an achievement is saving a friend from burning his hard earned money on a sad sounding Bose HT system!!

Guess if I get an opportunity will give the DAs a listen and form an opinion. Thanks for atleast replying , thought this thread would go unresponded to.
Old 11th February 2010, 16:31   #7

The Danish Acoustic is developed by the distributor of SEAS in Singapore. From what I know, the tweeter is from SEAS and the midbass is developed by the company itself. Where it is made is unknown. The crossover is also developed by the company using mostly Mundorf parts.

Sound is very subtle and clinical. Good for SQ purposes!
Focal.ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 17:30   #8
BHPian

Thanks Focal for that bit of info. Will definitely give it a listen if is possible. Welcome aboard team-bhp and nice to see someone from the Philippines contributing here.. Would be wonderful to see your contributions in the ICE section as you are in the audio distribution business.