Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 17th September 2005, 14:40   #76
Senior - BHPian

Let me explain this further... I dont like monopolies and that is my opinion (you know they're like a***oles, everyones got one).

When HM and PAL enjoyed near monopolistic conditions in our country for decades, Maruti brought in value and quality. When the market again became a monopoly with Maruti being your only real option, companies like Hyundai, Ford, Daewoo, Fiat, Peugot and GM came in, each with their own marketing fundas and value definitions.

Companies like Peugot made half baked efforts and did not take the market seriously (at that time), they came in with extinct models and people did buy them. A big brand name and a good price isnt necessarily good. You bought a crappy product that was obsolete everywhere else in the world. Your experience with Peugot proves this.

Suzuki changed the way we percieved cars. Then Hyundai redefined our concept of value. But today after we have accepted Hyundai as a long term player and mfr of very reliable products with great value, they go ahead and launch the Sonata Embera which costs as much as a Honda Accord. How many people will buy it at the same price as an Accord when the Accord has more snob value (unfortunately a major consideration for most buyers in this segment). Why, In the US Hyundai almost beg people to buy their cars and give away tons of freebies like 5 year comprehensive warranties.

Today, I expect more from Hyundai and as long as they will meet my (ever increasing) expectations, they will have my business.

Once a mark of german quality, cars like Mercedes Benz are actually seeing a slump in their sales in Europe of all place simply because their quality levels have gone down, failure rates are up, and because a Lexus or a Camry is much more reliable.

My point was and is... One should keep looking forward to better value, better products, better technology. The reasons that made Suzuki a value proposition 20 years ago dont stand today. Today they are the Microsoft of the Indian auto industry and thats never healthy for consumers. Ten years ago I owned 3 marutis, today I only have one and once I replace it, maybe I will never go back to Suzuki again... unless they UP their quality game.

Take a look at Thailand. Once considered a poorer nation than India, it is still hard to spot a Hyundai (let alone a Suzuki). They like quality products and have rejected the above brands because they dont meet their expectations. Instead, Honda and Toyota are successful there and have setup huge design and manufacturing bases there. And now Honda Thailand supplies us our Honda City while it is a flop there. How come if these products are so good, you cant see them widely used in their country of origin. Why is the Honda Jazz not coming to India even though it comes from the same factory in Thailand. Cuz if we had the honda jazz, how many of us would buy the city. Then what would the company do with all those cars... I repeat... As long as we will continue with our 'Chalta Hai' attitude, we will be forced to buy crappy products that the rest of the world doesnt want to buy.

I care what the world is buying, thats why I spend hours on the internet aquiring knowledge and then spend my money. It is rare that I regret a purchase.

On the Swift, we take cars apart and put them back together for a living... open a getz door panel and a swift door panel... you will have your answer right there in front of your eyes.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2005, 14:47   #77
Senior - BHPian

I believe JK is making a very valid point. Many of us buy stuff because either our frineds or some experts have approved the product.

Unfortunately many points in the life of an ordinary person are woven around these approvals....it really depends on what you want...like in my case...I listen to Ghazals...and 70s music....but whenever I put on the two JBL Amps and Sub in my car..my 3 year old daughter starts dancing ....that to me...IMHO is a lot more important than the Extraordinary music that comes out of this JBL setup...and so consequently her approval of what I bought...

So ....if Friends approval is more important to someone....it, In my view, can be a very valid reason to decide between competing brands..(unless you are choosing a downright shoddy product)...It is hard..sometimes to put a decision in BnW and it is your frineds and family that many a times help you choose between these shades of grey

..I can tell you...if my daughter did not like the system I bought...no matter how good it sounded..I would run to change it with whatever she liked...

We all have prerefences of our own..but they do get circumscribed to some extent by the environment we live in....to ths point...I find nothing absurd with the argument of jkdas...

Last edited by Buffetfan : 17th September 2005 at 14:49.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2005, 15:18   #78
Senior - BHPian

I guess your right too, Buff... I'm sorry JK for having written that post... If it hurt, my humble apologies....
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2005, 15:43   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
And all of you chadhaoed on a guy who's said also he's drinking. Laanat hai tumpar. Chee Thoo.
All of you'll talk rubbish when you're drunk lol. Stand tall men. Respect the rubbish that we do and talk, as we respect that eternal dangler between our legs.
If we men do this to each other, women will rule the earth and destroy all the rubbish we stand for.
(wait a minute, this is the part where Navin says, sorry sam, that already happened in the 70's heh heh heh)
Chalo ab sab line pe aaye.
YAY!! YAY!!All men united in absurdity. Up with men, up with speakers!!
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2005, 22:31   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Chalo ab sab line pe aaye.
YAY!! YAY!!All men united in absurdity. Up with men, up with speakers!!
whers the damn crying smiley! tissues pls, so touchy guys so touchy

we shall stand united ( well well no wonder thers less post on weekends, and no ones online on weekends, especially eves)

ajay its ok ! and buffet, mate u opned others eyes
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2005, 01:53   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Let me explain this further... I dont like monopolies and that is my opinion (you know they're like a***oles, everyones got one)..
just a clarification....the saying goes excuses are like ......., everyones got one. Monopolies are rare!
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2005, 05:32   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
just a clarification....the saying goes excuses are like ......., everyones got one. Monopolies are rare!

Actually, the saying is "opinions are like a***holes, everybody has one", do a google search, thats the phrase... I've never heard "excuses are..." thats a new one for me...
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2005, 07:58   #83
Team-BHP Support

yup you got it right. my mind often looses track of these nuances but i think m "excuses" line still is valid. does not everyone have an excuse?

BTW You actually did a google seach on that? :-)

Last edited by navin : 18th September 2005 at 08:01.
Old 18th September 2005, 11:46   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Navin, the harman drive+play (this is what it's going to be called) will be available for shipping to india in october/november.
Please keep in mind that the screen is just an extension of the i-pod screen and not a video display. Harman UK has ordered 10,000 ocs for this christman.
In India, we can sell this for about 16000/- approx.
Opinions? Is there a market?
Old 18th September 2005, 12:26   #85
Team-BHP Support

India is an odd market. but at 16K a pop for a ipod extension you wll find a few takers. the only thing i dont lke about this is that the screen sits on your dash or else where like ET's head. wish they had integrated this whole thing into a 1 DIN so it could fit with a 1 DIN stereo i a 2 DIN hole.
Old 18th September 2005, 12:28   #86
Team-BHP Support

I would love it if they had this thing shaped lke a casstte player and you sliped in into a 1 DIN hole. then you slpped in your ipod like you would do a cassette like a hot pluggable Hard disk.
Old 18th September 2005, 15:10   #87
Senior - BHPian

Thats an excellent idea navin.... But also, not all cars come with a 2 Din slot... The swift I initially booked had one.. The indica I have now does not... But your idea is cool.... lol, ET's head... hehe...
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2005, 18:02   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Navin, the harman drive+play (this is what it's going to be called) will be available for shipping to india in october/november.
Please keep in mind that the screen is just an extension of the i-pod screen and not a video display. Harman UK has ordered 10,000 ocs for this christman.
In India, we can sell this for about 16000/- approx.
Opinions? Is there a market?
tough one..seems TOO expensive
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2005, 18:12   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

See thats my point. They cant alter this. The product is ready. You can find the details on the website Navin put up. Keep them opinions coming guys. I'm making decisions on this
Old 18th September 2005, 21:52   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay
Thats an excellent idea navin.... But also, not all cars come with a 2 Din slot... The swift I initially booked had one.. The indica I have now does not... But your idea is cool.... lol, ET's head... hehe...
yeah but look at the cars that do...
skoda octavia, honda city, toyota corolla, swift, etc... these are all new cars that are not cheap.