Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 13th February 2010, 02:53   #1
BHPian

Question Confused - Pioneer or Kenwood

Hi Folks!

I've been off the grid lately, but again when there's annoyance at the doors, I know only one arena of gurus to bang at!
I've been in my Indica Vista Aura (QJet) for the past 3 months now, and am decently happy with the car's provided (new/changed) HU along with the 6 speaker setup, however, it was just okay.. Nothing greatly amazing.

So, being a rythm lover I had to get it pimped up. Of course, being a budget buyer, I had to consider only low-mid range options..
Here's the summary now-
Step 1: Kept the OE Blaupunkt HU (without the USB/Aux), added Pioneer 6993 speakers (Rs. 3100) = happy with the sound.
Step 2: Craving for more (bass & detail) went for a Blaupunkt 12" Bass Tube with an Alpine 4-channel amp, and with the JBL cable-component set(Rs. 2500+Rs. 3400+1400) = much better!
Step 3: Too much base pushed me to get some treble balancing solution; got a TS-S20. = much much better! happier now, thought this was all!

ISSUE -> started getting a *hiss* sound and minor attenuation with electric on/off blips (whenever usin a switch of brake, etc) :(

Still trying to find a solution, and finally my audio guy tweaked it by reducing output through the AMP, and changing RCA points to different channels, and changing a couple of cables.. but still not gone a 100%.

Finally he says that the way he's got my setup hooked up to the HU is more or less a "jugaad" since the OE HU itself doesn't have an RC cable out options and due to which it'll never be a 100% amazing output. So he suggests a final step to upgrade the HU.

Now, my perplexity:
1. Could it really be an issue with the OE HU not being able to deliver best? I mean, I do want a new one with the Aux In / USB options as well, so can try that, but would it take care of the issue of noise/hiss?
2. I've drilled down on 2 options, trying to keep my pocket burn less than 10k now - so help decide :-
Pioneer 6050
or
Kenwood 5110

Any other suggestions / help is much appreciated

Thanks & Best,
Jas
jsmonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 03:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

my vote for kenwood . better SQ!
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 03:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
my vote for kenwood . better SQ!
+ to that
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2010, 20:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

+2 to that;I auditioned Kennys and Pios and found the Kenny SQ way better
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 07:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Low & Medium End Kenny's are way superior in SQ than their Pioneer Counterparts.

But Something like the PRS series from Pionner is a class apart. Of course those are real pricey too
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 09:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

if you like dhinchak music and loads of features, go in for pio.. else kenny is good for "SQ".
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 11:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
if you like dhinchak music and loads of features, go in for pio.. else kenny is good for "SQ".
+1 to the Dhinchak part;features wise,I think Kenny measures up to or is better than Pio

Last edited by vigsom : 14th February 2010 at 11:03.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 11:31   #8
BHPian

Kenwood=SQ
Pioneer=Dikchak

shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 12:18   #9
BHPian

Kenwood anyday. I have shifted from Pioneer to Kenwood and say Kenwood is far better than Pioneer
ankit_chd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 12:25   #10
BHPian

the prs series is class ahead but under 10k range i dont feel there is any pioneer model which can match kenny.
so i guess its clear that kenny is the way to go!
mustang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 13:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

If you looking at a dedicated Sub out and sub level controller, then Pioneer is the choice,
However the 24bit DAC on the Kenwood on this 5110 is really neat, it has front and rear pre outs, but SQ is far better than Pioneer.
blueraven316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 17:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonu View Post
Step 2: Craving for more (bass & detail) went for a Blaupunkt 12" Bass Tube with an Alpine 4-channel amp, and with the JBL cable-component set(Rs. 2500+Rs. 3400+1400) = much better!
The price of the Alpine 4-channel amp seems to suggest that the amp is a fake. You could try fitting a better amp & maybe a better LOC first to see if your problems are solved.
nura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 21:50   #13
BHPian

Thumbs up Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
If you looking at a dedicated Sub out and sub level controller, then Pioneer is the choice,
However the 24bit DAC on the Kenwood on this 5110 is really neat, it has front and rear pre outs, but SQ is far better than Pioneer.
Absolutely, and one of my friends also favored Kenny, as in his words-(though I didn't understand a single bit of the THD part :P)
"Pioneer will give you 22W per channel (RMS) at 5% THD. Using the pre-outs, that gives you approximately 44W per channel RMS for the front speakers at 5% THD. 5% THD is Very high (distortion).
Kenwood will give you 22W per channel at less than 1% THD. Which means, the Kenwood should be MUCH clearer generally, and especially at higher volumes. Since you will be connecting it only to the front speakers, will give you 44W (L and R respectively) up to higher vol, at less distortion."

I was actually also going to PM you, cos that friend of mine referred to get in touch with you for more gyaan and making better and educated decision. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
The price of the Alpine 4-channel amp seems to suggest that the amp is a fake. You could try fitting a better amp & maybe a better LOC first to see if your problems are solved.
Yes, I know it IS the fake one.. but considering the budget tweaking everywhere and the guy vouching on its quality (considering i'm a nOOb) I went for it. I'll upgrade it on the way as we go.

Finally, I guess Kenwood 5110 it is then!!
Thanks all.

Regards,
Jaspreet
Old 19th February 2010, 01:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
Kenwood=SQ
Pioneer=Dikchak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
+1 to the Dhinchak part;features wise,I think Kenny measures up to or is better than Pio
Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
I love Pioneers. Try them.
abhipuru16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 20:47   #15
BHPian

Update folks!!

Bought and fit a Kenny 5110 then..!
Result : Mind-frikkin-boggling..! sexy sound, with amazing detail..
no hiss or noise issues at all.. I'm in love with the UI and the lighting and options..

The only thing that came to me as a hit was that I thought it was BT enabled, but it's actually just "BT Ready" and you have to attach some BT handsfree box to it somehow..
but anyways, I can live with that.

Thanks all for your support.
All in all with fitment it costed me 11.9k