Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 23rd February 2010, 13:39   #1
BHPian

Default Discussion: Fiberglass Molding

Friendz,

All us are already bitten by bug called DIY. We always look for any modification opportunity in our vehicle. We always want to modify cars look. We like to have custom bumper, we like to have custom shape on dashboard for mounting LCD etc. We want fancy door panels which can accomodate speakers of bigger size. We want body kit for our car.

Very few enthusiast know about Fiberglass molding which is very easy way of producing custom plastic shapes of any size. For example,
1) AutoRickshaw and Jeep Hard tops are made from fiberglass
2) Curvy front of Bus is also made using fiberglass molding.

You can modify your cars bumper to your desired shape. For this you need little clay modeling(Making Mold) and Fiberglass making process knowledge. It is very easy process. But in India we could not find raw material required in this.

I am in Pune and looking for such material for very long time. I want to modify my Indica Vista's Bumper to Vista Sports Bumper which was displayed at Auto Expo.

Come on here we will discuss knowhow of Fiberglass Molding and Raw material availability.

For start, here are some videos

sushantr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 14:38   #2
BHPian

The texture was pretty rough and the hairy texture of the fibres was visible after finishing ? How do you give it a smooth matte look ?? Sanding ?

Last edited by anku94 : 23rd February 2010 at 14:40.
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 14:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
... hairy texture ... How do you give it a smooth matte look ?? Sanding ?
Surface preparation before painting!
* First one has to apply an appropriate filler (NC / automotive putty, available at any automotive paint store) in a thin layer, using a metal scraper to make the surface even
* Then one has to sand it to get a uniform surface without pits or bumps (run your fingers lightly over the surface to find that out)
* The above has to be repeated (go easy with the quantity of putty you deposit in subsequent coats) till one gets a perfect smooth base
* After this, the prepared surface can be painted smooth, dull or matte as desired.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:08   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiberglass molding has bee used by many ICErs & you can see such DIYs in the ICE section.

I think we can do such discussions in one of the existing threads & dont need additional thread.

Do you want to discuss on how you can modify your bumper to that of the showcased model?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Fiberglass molding has bee used by many ICErs & you can see such DIYs in the ICE section.

I think we can do such discussions in one of the existing threads & dont need additional thread.

Do you want to discuss on how you can modify your bumper to that of the showcased model?
I just wanted to discuss know-how about fiberglass molding. This topic is not really related to My Car Bumper Mod. Generally we are not aware of things like where we can get resins and fiberglass threads. Somebody with knowledge can guide other learners in this area using this thread. That's why I created this thread.
Old 23rd February 2010, 20:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
I just wanted to discuss know-how about fiberglass molding. This topic is not really related to My Car Bumper Mod. Generally we are not aware of things like where we can get resins and fiberglass threads. Somebody with knowledge can guide other learners in this area using this thread. That's why I created this thread.
Been there and done that. Apparently not so easy unless you have the time and the patience and not to forget the ITCH factor !!

here's a thread on something I did something a while ago. Fellow members blueraven316, shreyasma and a few others have done a wonderful job compared to mine. Check their threads too.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 21:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yeah shreyasma has done fiber glass molding for his component speakers sometime back so maybe he can throw some light on the topic.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 11:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Been there and done that. Apparently not so easy unless you have the time and the patience and not to forget the ITCH factor !!

here's a thread on something I did something a while ago. Fellow members blueraven316, shreyasma and a few others have done a wonderful job compared to mine. Check their threads too.
Please post links of those threads in this thread too. This will help readers to navigate.
I saw your thread and found it impressive as a first DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Please post links of those threads in this thread too. This will help readers to navigate.
I saw your thread and found it impressive as a first DIY.
I found those links.
shreyasma
blueraven316

Last edited by Dippy : 12th March 2010 at 10:55. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 7th March 2010, 00:02   #9
BHPian

folks I have mentioned a couple of times that I have a 3 axis cnc router using which I can build a pattern for what ever - just provide me a solid model ( CAD model) and I can machine that out in MDF of polyurathane foam and then on we can get a very nice mold from it as in the videos -
Irfanulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 11:57   #10
BHPian

Basically, you need a mold if you repeatedly build some x thing in the same shape everytime. Moulds are more useful when the same object has to be produced in larger quantities.

However, when you want to build something for one time, the mould process can be eliminated.

Steps in simple :-

- Decide how you would build (completely from FG or MDF+FG).
- Have a rough imagination of what you like the end result to be (Better to make a rough sketch).
- Build the skeleton structure.
- Cover with Fleece or Stretchable cloth and apply resin over it.
- Then proceed to cover the layers above with FG mats & resin.
- The number of layers required depends upon how strong the final product have to be.
- When dry, sand till your hands fall off!
- Apply body filler and sand again for a smooth finish.
- Finish by painting, carpeting or leather

Most steps of 'how to' in detail are covered in the threads below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...y-ice-zen.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...aker-pods.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ng-safari.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...s-install.html

Happy sanding and scratching!

Last edited by shreyasma : 9th March 2010 at 12:06.
shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote