Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 9th April 2010, 14:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
@invinsible - The sub is rated 350W RMS and it has smart selectable impedance (2 / 4 ohms). Does the subwoofer's power rating change when at different impedances or it stays the same ?

How much did the sub cost & is it available in India ?
The sub can handle 350-400RMS irrespective of whether it's running 2/4ohms.

Yup, pretty much available with B/W with MRP of around 15K.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 19:07   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Oops! my bad. Anyone in Bangalore using this sub? I wanted to get one and was looking for an audition.
I was reading it wrong too. Invisible instead of Invincible.

Have you compared with any other subs in the 15K range (DLS, ID, GZ, Polk)?
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 11:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

There you go again, Navin. The Invisible Invinsible is Invincilble with an ess at where the sea is, errr... an 's' where the 'c' is.

@invinsible, did you hear the sub in India or was it in US?

May be the procurement magicians like B&T-bhai and Ramie-bhai (only bhai's can do that) can tell us how much rokda one needs to spend in India to get this sub?

Last edited by DerAlte : 10th April 2010 at 11:31.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 13:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
There you go again, Navin. The Invisible Invinsible is Invincilble with an ess at where the sea is, errr... an 's' where the 'c' is.

May be the procurement magicians like B&T-bhai and Ramie-bhai (only bhai's can do that) can tell us how much rokda one needs to spend in India to get this sub?
DerAlteji the sub is procurred from here itself through our very own Ramiebhai. The Sub is running my car since a month now, has an MRP of 15K but paid a bit less than that

I have used IDQv2 sub 2 years back, have heard IDQv3 and compared to them Infinity does play very clean and I find it a bit louder than the IDqv3. The sub plays very clean, and blends well with the Morel Comps.
Old 10th April 2010, 13:31   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

lol. Don't write us off like that Der Alte.

This and other high-end products are now sold officially in India from a completely new sales division. I won't delve deeper into it as I'm commercially affiliated to the company and that would be against the rules here, but as Invinsible already mentioned, the MRP is 15K.

An interesting thing about this woofer is the inclusion of the world's first 2Ω-4Ω switch. You can change the impedance at the flick of a switch.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 15:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

An interesting thing about this woofer is the inclusion of the world's first 2Ω-4Ω switch. You can change the impedance at the flick of a switch.
Yup, makes it easy for multiple sub configuration, makes it easy to select an amp.

Here's the pic, (taken from sonicelectronix)
Attached Thumbnails
Infinity Kappa 120.9 subwoofer Review-1209w.jpg  

Last edited by Invinsible : 10th April 2010 at 15:35.
Old 10th April 2010, 16:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

thats one of the best features for the subwoofer till yet switching in 2-4ohms,saves time on doing internal voice-coil wiring
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 21:21   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
THe bahi in this department is Frank-bhai.

Quote:
Wont Le double when the woofer is switched from 2 to 4 ohms?

Sam kya botla tu? If the coils are 2 ohms each you should get 1 and 4 ohms (parallel and series). The only way you can get 2 and 4 ohms is if you use 2 2/4 ohm coils and short/open one coil. To open a coil just stuff a cap in series with the coil.

This however will change Qes and hence Qts and hence the tuning of the woofer in a box. Since Qms is usually large (of the order of Qes x 10) Qts is almost Qes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
thats one of the best features for the subwoofer till yet switching in 2-4ohms,saves time on doing internal voice-coil wiring
One options with DVC woofes is to put a 100ohm 10W wire wound pot across one coil. Then the pot can be used for tuning. I've run 4 12" DVCs in this manner since the mid 90s and seen no bad effects so far.
Old 10th April 2010, 21:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
One options with DVC woofes is to put a 100ohm 10W wire wound pot across one coil. Then the pot can be used for tuning. I've run 4 12" DVCs in this manner since the mid 90s and seen no bad effects so far.
Whoa!!! so navin sir was the LMB in the 90's
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 23:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This and other high-end products are now sold officially in India from a completely new sales division.
I would like to know if Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 is available ?

Last edited by abhibh : 10th April 2010 at 23:54.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 05:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Wont Le double when the woofer is switched from 2 to 4 ohms?

Sam kya botla tu? If the coils are 2 ohms each you should get 1 and 4 ohms (parallel and series). The only way you can get 2 and 4 ohms is if you use 2 2/4 ohm coils and short/open one coil. To open a coil just stuff a cap in series with the coil.

This however will change Qes and hence Qts and hence the tuning of the woofer in a box. Since Qms is usually large (of the order of Qes x 10) Qts is almost Qes.
Well, If one looks at the sub the tinsel leads are not stitched to the spider, they come off of raised terminals and connect to the cone. Infinity kappa uses a triple voice coil system to allow the impedance to be switched, really unique I suppose. Chances are it is wired internally in some combination of series and parallel with the coils. It could be 3 1.3 ohm coils, 1.3 + 1.3 + 1.3 = 4 ohms / 1.3 + (1.3||1.3) = 2 ohms the switch switching the last two coils between series and parallel arrangement.

If one goes to see the BL is lower at 2 ohms may be because the coils are in parallel. L is the length of wire in the gap, which is halved when the coils are in parallel and doubled when the coils are in series. However, the Revc is also halved, so the motor force remains constant. You can see this in looking at the Qes of the driver. Along with this it could be the design of the triple voice coil that might be resulting in the Constant Le. May be Sam could give out the details on it.

Last edited by Invinsible : 11th April 2010 at 05:16.
Old 11th April 2010, 12:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
lol. Don't write us off like that Der Alte. ...
Not like that, Sam. In the absence of public information regarding distribution in India, one assumes that procurement is through alternate channels.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 13:44   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Whoa!!! so navin sir was the LMB in the 90's
No this was at home. Actually when I first cmae back from the US I ahd a pair of JBL 2245 in B460 bass bins for my bass section. My wife threw them away (we gave them to a friend who has a bar).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Infinity kappa uses a triple voice coil system to allow the impedance to be switched, really unique I suppose. Chances are it is wired internally in some combination of series and parallel with the coils. It could be 3 1.3 ohm coils, 1.3 + 1.3 + 1.3 = 4 ohms / 1.3 + (1.3||1.3) = 2 ohms the switch switching the last two coils between series and parallel arrangement.

If one goes to see the BL is lower at 2 ohms may be because the coils are in parallel. L is the length of wire in the gap, which is halved when the coils are in parallel and doubled when the coils are in series. However, the Revc is also halved, so the motor force remains constant. You can see this in looking at the Qes of the driver. Along with this it could be the design of the triple voice coil that might be resulting in the Constant Le. May be Sam could give out the details on it.
Invinsible, I did not know this. I think it is a cool way to do it better than removing a coil from the circuit. Retaining Le and Qes while switching impednaces is essential if one wants to use the sme box for both impedances. Without a full set of specs at 2 and 4 ohms we are only guessing. I wonder why JBL does not call this a TVC woofer.
Old 12th April 2010, 01:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

I modeled the response at 2Ω in the same given size of 1cu.ft used for 4Ω and it looks like that the sub can dig a tad bit lower in 2Ω compared to 4Ω with the same size of the enclosure. However, running it at 4Ω delivers little smoother response with peak db at 170hz frequency. One could use it even at .80-0.85cu.ft of enclosure running it at 2Ω with adequate power. At 2Ω the sub even get's 3db louder. Dual setup of it could be a good high SQL setup.
Here's the manual on the sub.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KappaSub.pdf (2.97 MB, 1901 views)
Old 12th April 2010, 11:26   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
However, running it at 4Ω delivers little smoother response with peak db at 170hz frequency..
Wont the LPF damp that peak? Also at 4 ohms the amps will be stressed less and offer better damping.