Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 7th March 2010, 06:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Infinity Kappa 120.9 subwoofer Review

For quite sometime I had been looking out for a new sub. Searched around a lot, but wanted something that is locally available. Specifically wanted something that had low inductance, high BL, high xmax, 89+ sensitivity. IDs were very close to what I wanted. But, by than came across with the Infinity Kappa 120.9 sub. It surely looked great but it's the performance that I was looking for a sub under 15K. Looked at Ground zero 12xdal too but couldn't find the detail specs on them. They surely perform really well, more like an SQL sub. But I was purely after SQ. I decided to try on the Infinity, though they haven't listed the detail specs on these but managed to get them. Spec wise it had roughly all that I was looking for. Low inductance of 1.18, High Bl of around 18.00, xmax of about 17mm, sensitivity close to 89 (all this at 4ohms). Overall specs looks good will post the detail TS parameters soon.
First impression, Well the driver is quite well build. Basket is made of cast Aluminium, Cone is well finished made of coated glass-fiber cone, looks great. It comes with selectable smart impedance technology in which case there is switch so that one can select either to run on 2ohms or 4ohms, can give good flexibility incase one is looking to add another one and run it in either 4 or 2ohms. Sub is a bit heavier compared to Ground zero 12xd-al. Overall a well solid build sub.
Infinity recommends 1 cu.ft sealed enclosure. But I decided to go for 1.1 cu.ft enclosure with acoustical foam around the inside walls. Its powered by Alpine V12 amp delivering 250rms at 4ohms. Fired up the sub and all I can say it plays extremely smooth, it goes tight and low. The sub is still in breakin period so will have to wait for the detail review on it. Sub as well the enclosure was arranged by Ramiebhai. Thanks Ramie All I can say is it's all worth the money. I am sure the sub can easily handle in about 400rms. May be a new amp in future could help with this.
Attached Thumbnails
Infinity Kappa 120.9 subwoofer Review-p1000264.jpg  

Infinity Kappa 120.9 subwoofer Review-p1000261.jpg  

Last edited by Invinsible : 7th March 2010 at 06:52.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 12:33   #2
BHPian

This is no doubt a good subwoofer as I've seen it in my hands.. The specifications look good however I'm concerned at what frequency can it go on the bottom side with any of the tuned enclosures.. Please upload the installed box pics and are you using a Sealed or a Ported Box?? I suppose Sealed but ported can deliver even lower in terms of frequency. Waiting for your detailed review and I may go with this or the Image Dynamics.
Slasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 12:41   #3
BHPian

This is no doubt a very good subwoofer as I've seen it in my hands.. Meshed Cone and Die Cast Housing are super solid. Waiting for a detailed review and I may go with this one or the Image Dynamics. How much it costed you and please also upload the installed pics when its finally there.. Also see how much low it can go, somewhere around 20Hz?? It may be checked by applying filters on the Amplifier.
Slasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 01:46   #4
BHPian

@Invisible - How's the sub performing so far? Please provide some more feedback on the SQ.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 03:21   #5
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
This is no doubt a good subwoofer as I've seen it in my hands.. The specifications look good however I'm concerned at what frequency can it go on the bottom side with any of the tuned enclosures.. Please upload the installed box pics and are you using a Sealed or a Ported Box?? I suppose Sealed but ported can deliver even lower in terms of frequency. Waiting for your detailed review and I may go with this or the Image Dynamics.
If you give me the Thiele-Small parameters of the driver, I work it out for you with different enclosures.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 04:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
If you give me the Thiele-Small parameters of the driver, I work it out for you with different enclosures.
Haven't been able to locate the T/S parameters of this sub yet - the Infinity site does not seem to list the sub at all.

@Invisible, did you model them or did you just use the recommended enclosure size?

I'm thinking about getting two of these or one big JBL W12 Gti MK2.
Old 7th April 2010, 09:55   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
low inductance, high BL, high xmax, 89+ sensitivity...sub under 15K.

Low inductance of 1.18, High Bl of around 18.00, xmax of about 17mm, sensitivity close to 89 (all this at 4ohms). Infinity recommends 1 cu.ft sealed enclosure.
Finally someone who is looking at specs that mean a lot more than just Watts.

Invisible, high BL, low mass drivers are usually quite sensitive too.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 16:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Infinity Kappa 120.9 subwoofer Review-woofer.jpg

Here are the specs..
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 22:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

Invisible, high BL, low mass drivers are usually quite sensitive too.
Invisible!

I would LOVE to audition this subwoofer soon Abhi. Listen, I am making some minor changes to my setup. By the end of next week it will be ready. let's do a worli seaface thing like last time.
Whatsay?
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 11:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

I been running since a month now. The sub has passed the break in period. For the price I am really impressed with the sound quality. It digs quite low and sounds tight when it's needed. With low Le of 1.18mh and good force factor, it has resulted in very smooth sound, plus makes them very efficient sub. No issue with double bass, its fast and best part blends with the front stage quite well. The sub is LP'd at 80hz at 12db, running in 1.1cu.ft of sealed enclosure with 250rms(AB class). I have heard the IDQv2 and V3 and found this sub to have slight edge over it where overall musicality is concerned and where output is concerned can go loud. Feed this sub with 400RMS and it will really shine. I listened to Hip-hop, trance, Hard rock on this sub and it played the Lows with good authority. Overall really happy with the performance, quite a sleeper SQ sub.

I did model the response just to see how it would deliver. And it does give out as it showed. The sub sounds ultra silky smooth, getting deeper and deeper as it's breaking in. The F3 is at 44.75hz, with Total Q at .72 and has frequency peak db at 230hz.
I choose to do 1.1cu.ft as per preferred taste and since I had just 250RMS available. But with these subs at relatively higher BL than avg one can have them in small sealed enclosure too without much change in sound production. It would still dig low and sound tight. I would say even .8cu.ft of enclosure with some fiber/polyfill should work great with these.

The idea of choosing this sub was as it has lower Le. than the others at 4ohm (available here) and which stays the same even at 2ohms thanks to coil design, which means it can play with much lower distortion. Power these subs with Class D amps and they will produce sound efficiently not just above 50hz but even below it. Speaking of voice coil design which is the best part, one can choose to the sub at 4 or 2ohm just with the help of switch, can get easy to configure if one decides to add a second one.

I have worked out something different lately which can add some more thump to the sound at 50hz plus increasing the efficiency or output by 3 db without any change in enclosure or amp output. Will post the details and picks on it soon. If it works out plans are to add another one with 800rms of power to them.

Cheers!

NOTE: For the price this sub is a bargain.
Invinsible is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 11:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Invisible!

I would LOVE to audition this subwoofer soon Abhi. Listen, I am making some minor changes to my setup. By the end of next week it will be ready. let's do a worli seaface thing like last time.
Whatsay?
Let's do catch up before I go invisible
but before that I wanna hear from you that b'ful sub is indeed performing, give the sub what it needs bro, it will really shine.

Quote:
Invisible, high BL, low mass drivers are usually quite sensitive too
Which is usually found in pro audio speakers/subs.

The way I see it more and more people are gonna opt for the sub once they understand what it could do. And here's an easy way of understanding what high BL subs can perform to http://www.diy-av.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=180

Last edited by Invinsible : 8th April 2010 at 11:34.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 11:34   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Which is usually found in pro audio speakers/subs.
the difference being is their Cms and hence Fs is relatively high.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 12:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Great reviews abhi,good to see your happy enjoying the lower frequencies plays very clean.
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 19:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Let's do catch up before I go invisible
Oops! my bad. Anyone in Bangalore using this sub? I wanted to get one and was looking for an audition.
Old 9th April 2010, 10:35   #15
BHPian

@invinsible - The sub is rated 350W RMS and it has smart selectable impedance (2 / 4 ohms). Does the subwoofer's power rating change when at different impedances or it stays the same ?

How much did the sub cost & is it available in India ?
donarun is offline   Reply With Quote