Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 11th March 2010, 02:13   #1
BHPian

Default repainting the subwoofer

greetings to all the fellow bhpians and the respected mods.

there is a small diy i did today. my subwoofer had many scratches and i even had some maroon com-paint left. so all i had to do was mask the subwoofer and paint it.

i am posting some pics of the diy.
any comments and suggestions are always welcome.

regards
SINGH
Attached Thumbnails
repainting the subwoofer-image0001.jpg  

repainting the subwoofer-image0002.jpg  

repainting the subwoofer-image0004.jpg  

repainting the subwoofer-image0005.jpg  

repainting the subwoofer-image0006.jpg  

repainting the subwoofer-image0007.jpg  

repainting the subwoofer-image0008.jpg  

S.I.N.G.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 10:02   #2
BHPian

The end result sure is nice

Is it advisable to paint the sub like that ???
Sound_Affects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 10:04   #3
BHPian

Never heard anyone repaint speaker cone!

Is the speaker working after painting??
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 11:05   #4
Team-BHP Support

Adding paint to a speaker cone will change the mass of the cone. What till will do is
a. lower the resonant frequency of teh speaker which might be ok if the speaker is in a sealed box as sealed boxes are more tolerant of specs that are not as per design.
b. change the Acceleration factor of the speaker. This in normal parlance means that for most subwoofers that operate below 100Hz you should not see a significnat change in performance unless the paint layer is really thick. The Mass of a subwoofer come is about 100gms. Adding 10gms of paint wont affectit much. The mass of a 6" midbass can be as little as 20gms. Adding 10gms to paint to the midbass will change it's performance a lot.

I hope this is simple enough. I have been told I make things more complicated than they should be.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 11:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I thought when the paint hardens the cone might become brittle and might crack under excersion.

Pramod
pramodkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 11:23   #6
Team-BHP Support

Pramod they make woofer cones out of fiberglass, carbon, aluminum and other metals. The woofer cone is driven from it's apex. If the cone is stiffer the cone will flex less and there will be less doppler distortion though I do not think the paint will make the cone any stiffer to begin with.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 11:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Pramod they make woofer cones out of fiberglass, carbon, aluminum and other metals. The woofer cone is driven from it's apex. If the cone is stiffer the cone will flex less and there will be less doppler distortion though I do not think the paint will make the cone any stiffer to begin with.

Navin i perfectly agree with you, but i have seen a lot of these woofers crack on its own, so my question was wont this add to that?

Pramod
pramodkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 11:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Never heard anyone repaint speaker cone!

Is the speaker working after painting??
yes, the subwoofer is working perfectly after the paint job. as it is i was upgrading to a pioneer or jbl sub. anyways this was a spare one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Adding paint to a speaker cone will change the mass of the cone. What till will do is
a. lower the resonant frequency of teh speaker which might be ok if the speaker is in a sealed box as sealed boxes are more tolerant of specs that are not as per design.
b. change the Acceleration factor of the speaker. This in normal parlance means that for most subwoofers that operate below 100Hz you should not see a significnat change in performance unless the paint layer is really thick. The Mass of a subwoofer come is about 100gms. Adding 10gms of paint wont affectit much. The mass of a 6" midbass can be as little as 20gms. Adding 10gms to paint to the midbass will change it's performance a lot.

I hope this is simple enough. I have been told I make things more complicated than they should be.
sir i had used compaint to do the job. i had orignally bought the can for my linea. the can weighed 120 gm. after the denting was done, i was left with approximately 20-25 gms. then i performed the paintjob on my sub. still some paint is left. so accordingly i dont think i have used more than 8-10 gm as it was a single coat on the cone.
Old 12th March 2010, 00:09   #9
BHPian

Arrey waah!!

Sirji it seems as if the DIY bug has taken over you, and for good reason that is.

I never thought that a sub-woofer could be painted but then there is a first for everything.

Congratulations once again & keep up the good work.
maglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2010, 00:31   #10
BHPian

thanks maglev. please comment on the sound quality after the paint job.
Old 12th March 2010, 00:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
thanks maglev. please comment on the sound quality after the paint job.

I did not find any change in the sound quality, it seemed exactly like it was before the painting & that is the best part.
maglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2010, 20:26   #12
BANNED

hey nice job but dude you should have painted it some other color this color doesn't looks that good try repainting and by the way where do you live please PM me even i want to get my car painted i wish you could help
no grudges against you but do you have some garage or something? or do it professionally ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Affects View Post
The end result sure is nice

Is it advisable to paint the sub like that ???
nhey have you even got a sub in your car ?if yes i think you should try painting it you will get to know. even i am gonna paint it today pink color

Last edited by v12 : 13th March 2010 at 21:48.
wing.commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 00:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing.commander View Post
hey nice job but dude you should have painted it some other color this color doesn't looks that good try repainting and by the way where do you live please PM me even i want to get my car painted i wish you could help
no grudges against you but do you have some garage or something? or do it professionally ?

nhey have you even got a sub in your car ?if yes i think you should try painting it you will get to know. even i am gonna paint it today pink color
@wing commander- respected sir, i think this thread is posted under the diy section on team bhp. and diy means DO IT YOURSELF. so this is something done to a subwoofer which has to be discarded/ disposed within a week or two.

@mods- please look into the conversation matter. this thread was posted to share my experiences with my fellow bhpians and hence i want to keep the thread more informative and avoid any type of heated discussions.

regards
SINGH
Old 14th March 2010, 00:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You're going to paint your subwoofer PINK?? ROFL
aparth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2010, 01:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry. i didnt encourage any kind of heated discussions though. and yes i know what diy means. all i wanted to say that the work was so good that it looked as if a professional has done it. no hard feelings buddy. but why do you have your system set up in an alto? doesnt it rattle a lot? IMO you should have done it in a skoda superb or something then it wouldnt rattle.

no i the alto doesnt rattle because i have put something in my car which is known as DAMPING. i am sure i wont do any such install in any of the luxury car which i own/ would be owning in future. luxury cars call for clarity and not for boom

yes just being creative. after all this is called diy as mentioned by singh is king alto wale baba sir ji.
very creative indeed.