Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2012, 19:05   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli/Gurgao
Posts: 2,532
Thanked: 1,002 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Tata Nano

That confirms my doubts that Tata does not provide a 'socket' for fitting the music system. I too have an LX model, but of 2012. And I recently got the Sony HU fitted into it, from my Tata dealer. Unfortunately I wasn't there to watch the process, but I would tend to believe there's no socket which will take an aftermarket music system.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 19:17   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,055
Thanked: 146 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Tata Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
That confirms my doubts that Tata does not provide a 'socket' for fitting the music system. I too have an LX model, but of 2012. And I recently got the Sony HU fitted into it, from my Tata dealer. Unfortunately I wasn't there to watch the process, but I would tend to believe there's no socket which will take an aftermarket music system.
Hi, I got the music system fitted today, there was indeed a socket which was hidden somewhere in the wiring. The socket is only for Power and ground, for speakers a totally separate and isolated wiring from the stock electricals is done.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 19:34   #63
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 99
Thanked: 17 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Tata Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
That confirms my doubts that Tata does not provide a 'socket' for fitting the music system. I too have an LX model, but of 2012. And I recently got the Sony HU fitted into it, from my Tata dealer. Unfortunately I wasn't there to watch the process, but I would tend to believe there's no socket which will take an aftermarket music system.
On the contrary this is the only car which provides dedicated sockets for virtually all important accessories.
1. Music System
2. Security system
3. Parking Sensors
4. Charging Dock

This info is given in manual too and confirmed by dealer technician as well.
Hats off to Nano designers.
ramesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 20:07   #64
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 99
Thanked: 17 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Tata Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post

As we all know for good acoustics its a must to have speakers at rear.
Do keep us informed if you find anything about JVC XD-30/40/50
when we hear a live music concert or for that matter hear other person speaking to us , do we hear more clearly by standing face to face or opposite ?
I think human ears designed to collect sound more from front and sideways.

IMHO speakers should be in dash. Out of interest I surfed net and found its true. They divide the sound in components and play largly the thumping part ( bass ) from rear.
ramesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 21:13   #65
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,861 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
... IMHO speakers should be in dash. Out of interest I surfed net and found its true. They divide the sound in components and play largly the thumping part ( bass ) from rear.
The actual reason is a bit different. And no, they don't 'divide' like that.

1. To form the front image (should appear like the musicians are playing near or beyond the windshield), speakers are usually mounted on the doors. In case the doors are not thick enough to accommodate speakers, they are mounted on the dash, like in WagonR. Sometimes at knee level - Santro, for example

2. Speakers are usually divided into 2 components - Mid-bass and tweeter. Sometimes 3 - Woofer, mid and tweeter. The frequencies that play through each are separated by a Cross-over. This is to optimise the speakers' efficiency and get better reproduction. In 'components', each is mounted separately. In coaxial speakers, they are in the same housing

3. Door mounted mid-bass speakers come in 3 sizes usually: dia 4" (100mm), 5.25" (130mm) or 6.5" (165mm). Rarely in 6" (150mm) or 8" (200mm). Dash mounted speakers are usually limited to 4". Tweeters are 0.75" or 1" (coaxes may even have 0.5")

4. Larger the radiating area of the cone, more the bass produced. 4" speakers in the dash produce very little, so one has to augment it with larger speakers at the rear (rear doors or parcel shelf / hat rack, sometimes hatch). Rear doors take 6.5" max. Better is 6"x9" coaxials, which have a cone area equivalent of 8" speakers, but one can mount them only on the parcel shelves. Or in boxes in the boot (which Nano doesn't have)

Last edited by DerAlte : 16th December 2012 at 21:16.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 21:37   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli/Gurgao
Posts: 2,532
Thanked: 1,002 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Tata Nano

I have observed the speakers on the rear parcel shelf usually sound better because of the cavity underneath. I am no audio guru, but I know the speakers sound wonderful with an empty boot, and lose their quality as soon as the boot is filled up with bags. At times I have even checked if the bags had disturbed the speaker wiring!

This is my experience from the M800 and the Santro with parcel trays and speakers fitted into them.

So a common sense logic would be a speaker in the parcel shelf gets a bigger cavity to generate more bass (or should we call it depth?), while the door panel is a poor compromise.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2012, 22:09   #67
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,861 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
... So a common sense logic would be a speaker in the parcel shelf gets a bigger cavity to generate more bass (or should we call it depth?), while the door panel is a poor compromise.
No, it is a bit more involved than common sense logic. There is a minimum volume requirement corresponding to the low frequency abilities to exert a controlling influence on the cone, without which they 'boom' - an undesirable quality. Some people mistake that boominess for great bass, actually you should hear what the music has, not something more. Speakers on parcel shelf are 'free air mounting' - meaning infinite air volume behind it, and these tend to be boomy. Putting luggage reduces the air volume resulting in reduction in boominess, which you feel is reduction in bass.

The door panel also has a decently large volume. Just that 6.5" mid-bass have significantly less radiating area, and less bass due to that. One can't fit 6x9 speakers in doors, and 6.5" on parcel shelf will only play to its capability.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 11:17   #68
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,701
Thanked: 3,329 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Tata Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Hi, I got the music system fitted today, there was indeed a socket which was hidden somewhere in the wiring. The socket is only for Power and ground, for speakers a totally separate and isolated wiring from the stock electricals is done.
The HU requires DC power from the battery and hence have a seperate/ differnt socket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
On the contrary this is the only car which provides dedicated sockets for virtually all important accessories.
1. Music System
2. Security system
3. Parking Sensors
4. Charging Dock.
This is good news. I was under the impression that the car's electrical system was marginal and cannot support a lot of accessories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I have observed the speakers on the rear parcel shelf usually sound better because of the cavity underneath. I am no audio guru, but I know the speakers sound wonderful with an empty boot, and lose their quality as soon as the boot is filled up with bags. At times I have even checked if the bags had disturbed the speaker wiring!
Did you notice the differnce in the Quality of Bass vs the Quantity of Bass when the boot if full? Most car speakers especially 6x9s are DESIGNED to be loaded by a boot/trunk. This means that when the space behind them is small (door panel/full boot/a box) they do not sound as good.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 22:45   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli/Gurgao
Posts: 2,532
Thanked: 1,002 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Tata Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Did you notice the differnce in the Quality of Bass vs the Quantity of Bass when the boot if full? Most car speakers especially 6x9s are DESIGNED to be loaded by a boot/trunk. This means that when the space behind them is small (door panel/full boot/a box) they do not sound as good.
I am afraid I am too dumb (or should I say deaf) to notice such subtleties. All I know is there was a distinct degradation when the boot was full.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 00:48   #70
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 99
Thanked: 17 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Tata Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The actual reason is a bit different. And no, they don't 'divide' like that.
given the choice to have only 2 speakers , what scheme would you prefer? , I think then it should be front .

And well they actually divide the sound in different freq. bands for rear and front. The amplitude of low freq is much higher for rear than high , and vice a versa for front. You need a storage oscilloscope equipment to see it. I get to see it frequently
ramesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 09:03   #71
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,701
Thanked: 3,329 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Tata Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
given the choice to have only 2 speakers , what scheme would you prefer? , I think then it should be front .

And well they actually divide the sound in different freq. bands for rear and front. The amplitude of low freq is much higher for rear than high , and vice a versa for front. You need a storage oscilloscope equipment to see it. I get to see it frequently
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The actual reason is a bit different. And no, they don't 'divide' like that.
Ramesh,

The rear speakers may playe lower frequencies (as well as play louder) as they are bigger and work in a larger space (the working space for a speaker is the volume behind the speaker) like a trunk vs a small space like a door panel or dash.

What DA has said in his post above is largely correct. There are exceptions to every rule (more so today, now that car entertainment includes video as well).

I do not see the need for a DSO here though. A RTA (Real Time Analyser such as those shown in the link below) may be more effective.
http://www.wavecapture.com/LiveCapturePro.html
http://my.mackie.com/store2/p.asp?p=rta31

here is an application note on RTA and in car response
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZuInrtW...nvertible.aspx

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-GZhTFVg...und-tools.html

Last edited by navin : 18th December 2012 at 15:39.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 13:14   #72
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,861 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Tata Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
... There are exceptions to every rule ...
I left them out deliberately to keep the explanation simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
... And well they actually divide the sound in different freq. bands for rear and front. The amplitude of low freq is much higher for rear than high , and vice a versa for front. You need a storage oscilloscope equipment to see it. I get to see it frequently
One doesn't need the DSO if one knows the primary intentions and design. You are observing output sensitivity of the speakers, not splitting front-rear.

Though it may sound a matter of semantics, but one has to differentiate between design ("they actually divide") and post-facto observation ("the amplitude is..."). A post-facto observation is only speculation about design, not how/why it was actually done.

You are right, one normally prefers the sound image to be in front, hence speakers in front.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 20:34   #73
BHPian
 
Grr7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 186
Thanked: 189 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Tata Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Yes navin, you are right. If this socket is not fixed then the warranty would be void too. And you know what, tata does'nt provide a connection for the antennae , So for the time being i cant listen to the radio. Although i am planning to go for the bosch antennae which fits on to the IRVM.
Hey Aditya!

I am looking for a windscreen antenna. The ICE shops in and around have limited choices and local stuff when it comes to internal antenna.
Saw your post mentioning about Bosch windscreen antenna. Please provide info regarding the availability and quality of reception. A price break up of your ICE along with pics of the installed antenna would be appreciable.

Regards
Gaurav
Grr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 21:10   #74
BHPian
 
aditya.bhardwaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 179
Thanked: 153 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Tata Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
Hey Aditya!

I am looking for a windscreen antenna. The ICE shops in and around have limited choices and local stuff when it comes to internal antenna.
Saw your post mentioning about Bosch windscreen antenna. Please provide info regarding the availability and quality of reception. A price break up of your ICE along with pics of the installed antenna would be appreciable.

Regards
Gaurav
Hi Gaurav

I didnt get the antenna installed as my FM is working flawlessly without an antenna ! I dont know how .

But i did see an antenna from bosch for around a thousand bucks from DRIVEN, Kailash colony.

And lastly, i will give the break up of the price by tomorrow. I need to find the bill

Best Regards

Aditya
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:38   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,558
Thanked: 1,756 Times
Default re: ICE upgrade : Tata Nano

I would like to upgrade the existing system in my Nano (2011). I currently have a Sony Xplod HU and two front speakers, which I presume came with the HU.

I would like to add an amplified subwoofer and better speakers. My requirement is not more noise, but better sound quality (less vibrations)

I am not decided on the budget part which I know is a risky thing to do! Would you recommend that I reuse the HU and install other parts or go for a complete overhaul?

Is there any risk in terms of electrical overload if I use a subwoofer?
Are there any other options I should consider?

Thanks!
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners Aditya The Indian Car Scene 108 1st June 2015 12:42
A Nano trip on a Nano budget...in a Tata Nano novice_alto Travelogues 11 28th September 2014 15:19
"Small Wonder: The Making of Nano": a book about the Tata Nano Mpower The Indian Car Scene 25 5th December 2010 23:11
The Tata Nano Gamble - how many Nano Tatas will have to sell agentsmith2 The Indian Car Scene 41 28th October 2009 13:40


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks