Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 28th February 2015, 18:44   #106
BHPian

Default re: ICE upgrade : Tata Nano

Guys, after lots of delays, finally ordered the audio system through Snapdeal for my Nano.

HU - Pioneer X1790 - USB Aux and CD - Rs. 3600/- - http://www.snapdeal.com/product/pion...tereo/81324559

Rear Speakers - JBL - GTO 950SI - Rs. 3600/- - http://www.snapdeal.com/product/jbl-...ker/1335834106

Front Speakers - Sony XS-GTF10382 -Rs. 1110/-- http://www.snapdeal.com/product/sony...ange-3/1383252

They also provide free Doorstep Installation. So that's the full kit for Rs. 8400/- which I find very attractive. Over here, for a similar setup, all shops are quoting Rs.12,000 atleast. Hoping to get the delivery soon. Will update. Thank you!!
freakmuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2015, 21:48   #107
BHPian

@freakmuzik, congrats brother, I was contemplating to buy a head unit for my Nano. Really great choice, but why not go for the Blaupunkt OE unit. I believe it also has bluetooth, isn't it?
DieselWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 08:43   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWheels View Post
@freakmuzik, congrats brother, I was contemplating to buy a head unit for my Nano. Really great choice, but why not go for the Blaupunkt OE unit. I believe it also has bluetooth, isn't it?
If you do want an HU with Bluetooth, I suggest going after-market rather than OE. There is no functionality in the Tata Nano, such as steering mounted audio controls etc, that necessitate an OE unit. And Tata (just like other auto manufacturers), rips off their customers big time. The biggest mistake I made with my Tata Nano was to buy their OE HU and lousy speakers for Rs. 10,000. That set was not even worth Rs 5000 IMHO
HighwayofLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 08:48   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! I quite didn't like the OE units Sound quality during the test drives of the Twist. So went ahead with this setup. I'l be keeping this car for another two years only, so wasn't so bothered about the features. Did you buy the OE unit? if yes, how's it according to you?
Old 1st March 2015, 15:27   #110
BHPian

@Freakmuzic, Actually I also happen to own a Fiat Punto MJD and the Blaupunkt kit it has, is pretty good. Even I thought of changing the head unit, but rather replaced the OE 4 inch Blaupunkt speakers to 6 inch Xplod ones. That did the job. And if you wanna pack greater punch, your choice of JBL speakers, mean business.
So happy grooving mate
DieselWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 17:04   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
If you do want an HU with Bluetooth, I suggest going after-market rather than OE. There is no functionality in the Tata Nano, such as steering mounted audio controls etc, that necessitate an OE unit. And Tata (just like other auto manufacturers), rips off their customers big time. The biggest mistake I made with my Tata Nano was to buy their OE HU and lousy speakers for Rs. 10,000. That set was not even worth Rs 5000 IMHO
Quote:
@Freakmuzic, Actually I also happen to own a Fiat Punto MJD and the Blaupunkt kit it has, is pretty good. Even I thought of changing the head unit, but rather replaced the OE 4 inch Blaupunkt speakers to 6 inch Xplod ones. That did the job. And if you wanna pack greater punch, your choice of JBL speakers, mean business.
So happy grooving mate
Thank you!! And I got my Headunit delivered today! Will be getting the sony speakers delivered in a day or two. BTW, one sad news is, it seems my order for JBL GTO950 stands cancelled as it's out of stock.

Can anyone suggest me other good online stores that are pretty reliable or any other speaker that has specs close to this one too?

Cheers!
Old 7th March 2015, 11:05   #112
BHPian

This episode is turning out to be very interesting. I was very sad when my order got cancelled as it was out of stock. I'm yet to receive the refund though they say i'll be getting it back in a week. In the mean time, i went to the stores here in trivandrum again and was once again disappointed with the astronomical prices and total lack of choices. So i came back home and started checking online again. Also went into finalizing a very good set of used speakers. And that's when I stumbled upon the warranty issues with online purchase of JBL.

I called up their Helpline and asked them about it. They have a selected list of sellers with whom you'll be getting the warranty. And their only online partners (w.r.t warranty) are a few sellers from Amazon and Snapdeal. Another option was to get it from their own online store but they sell only at MRPs. So no hope.

When i later checked snapdeal and amazon, none of the mentioned sellers seem to be selling the product i need. I was disappointed but once when my dad checked at around 10.00pm, one authorised seller seemed to be selling in Snapdeal with a very good price too. Immediately booked it and it'l be shipped today.

I'm sharing the list of authorised JBL online sellers from Amazon and Snapdeal, hoping it'l be useful for other members too.

1) FX audio - the one i purchased from - Rs.3990/-
2) Sahil international
3) Trade bazaar
4) Home tech ventures
5) LLP
6) Superdeals999
7) Lifestyle Audio
8) Audio lifestyle
9) Banga electronics

Cheers!
freakmuzik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 22:58   #113
BHPian

I checked at car plaza, Sreekaryam today on the cost of 1690UB and was quoted 4,500.
Don't want to go the snapdeal way as I am not sure if I can get a descent installation.

any other model that is good..
Note: Not very keen on CD and can live with just a media setup

George V
pvgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 23:04   #114
BHPian

Guys, have got the system installed in my Nano approx three weeks back. I had issues uploading pictures onto T-BHP and with exams around, I couldn't help but wait. So, kindly pardon me for the delay. A big thanks to all the members here who helped me out on the purchase!

I've put up the info about the install in my Nano thread. Kindly check.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3684034

Once again, lots and lots of thanks.

Cheers!
Old 16th April 2016, 08:54   #115
BHPian

Default Re: ICE upgrade : Tata Nano

Reviving an old thread.

I have a Nano Twist XT and have been wanting to upgrade the speakers. From the threads (Tbhp and elsewhere) i have seen folks with:

1. Speakers on front doors: This option was looking bad as you had to cut out the door storage bins. Also i think Nano's doors are so thin that any decent speaker will cause jarring. I know damping can help, but not wanted to go overboard as there is only so much you can do given the existing NVH levels.
2. Swap HU: The HU on Nano Twist is decent with inbuilt Bluetooth and USB/Aux functions. Also I plan to retain the stock look and the last thing i want is a rattling dashboard.
3. Rear speaker enclosure: Have seen a couple of Nanos with box type speaker enclosures. This takes up the already minuscule boot space. Pracel tray mounted speakers are much better due to this reason.

I believe the most easiest option will be to upgrade just the rear speakers and possibly use a 2-channel AMP. Is it worth investing on a 4CH amp as i would love to upgrade to a Subwoofer sometime later (removable when i want boot space).
What is the most suitable place for an AMP in a Nano? Boot gets uncomfortably hot, No space under the seats (passenger seat has the jack, driver seat has the battery and rear seats, well the engine!). Can i bolt the amplifier on top of the parcel tray?. I was worried of adding too much weight to the parcel tray as the mounts are made of plastic and in an event of hard braking/crash this can hit the rear passengers in the head.

Lastly, has anyone explored the pre-out options in the Nano Twist XT stock HU?
knaveen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2016, 00:32   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
Reviving an old thread.

I have a Nano Twist XT and have been wanting to upgrade the speakers. From the threads (Tbhp and elsewhere) i have seen folks with:

1. Speakers on front doors: This option was looking bad as you had to cut out the door storage bins. Also i think Nano's doors are so thin that any decent speaker will cause jarring. I know damping can help, but not wanted to go overboard as there is only so much you can do given the existing NVH levels.
2. Swap HU: The HU on Nano Twist is decent with inbuilt Bluetooth and USB/Aux functions. Also I plan to retain the stock look and the last thing i want is a rattling dashboard.
3. Rear speaker enclosure: Have seen a couple of Nanos with box type speaker enclosures. This takes up the already minuscule boot space. Pracel tray mounted speakers are much better due to this reason.

I believe the most easiest option will be to upgrade just the rear speakers and possibly use a 2-channel AMP. Is it worth investing on a 4CH amp as i would love to upgrade to a Subwoofer sometime later (removable when i want boot space).
What is the most suitable place for an AMP in a Nano? Boot gets uncomfortably hot, No space under the seats (passenger seat has the jack, driver seat has the battery and rear seats, well the engine!). Can i bolt the amplifier on top of the parcel tray?. I was worried of adding too much weight to the parcel tray as the mounts are made of plastic and in an event of hard braking/crash this can hit the rear passengers in the head.

Lastly, has anyone explored the pre-out options in the Nano Twist XT stock HU?
Look up the JBL Carstage system. Looks very interesting
HighwayofLife is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2016, 08:40   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Look up the JBL Carstage system. Looks very interesting
The JBL Carstage you are talking about is not easily available in the market.

I got a 2012 Nano LX and got some simple sound installed., I will post some photos soon.
sumanbhokray is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2016, 09:10   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumanbhokray View Post
The JBL Carstage you are talking about is not easily available in the market.

I got a 2012 Nano LX and got some simple sound installed., I will post some photos soon.
I also had a 2012 LX until last year. I had installed the amp in the boot area and put in a Blaupunkt powered sub. Worked pretty well.
Old 2nd October 2016, 00:54   #119
BHPian

Quote:
I also had a 2012 LX until last year. I had installed the amp in the boot area and put in a Blaupunkt powered sub. Worked pretty well.
How did you manage to power up the amp, Is it from the same stock battery?
sumanbhokray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2016, 01:15   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumanbhokray View Post
How did you manage to power up the amp, Is it from the same stock battery?
Yes. It was a Class D Amp. So pretty low power consumption