Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 16th March 2010, 22:45   #1
BHPian

Default ICE upgrade : Tata Nano

Please suggest a good system with DVD, radio, USB, card reader and bluetooth for the Tata Nano.

Thanks.
Indizen010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 10:02   #2
BHPian

Buddy, what is the budget you have for ICE? And waht is the kind of music you listen to?
shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 01:31   #3
BHPian

Even I am looking for ICE setup for my Nano.

My budget is around 10K and I would ideally want to have iPod interface HU along with a set of speakers with punchy bass. I could accommodate 2 6x9 speakers at the back (in a box) and two 4inchers at the front.

Please suggest.
Monaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 12:00   #4
BHPian

Kenwood/panasonic/pioneer HU - 6k
Front 4" - Kenwood - 1.5k
Rear 6x9 - JBL - 3.5k
Old 26th March 2010, 15:56   #5
BHPian

Thanks Shreyas.

Any specific JBL speakers? (Model etc.) and how about Sony Explode? (Sell for Around 2.1k for 300-400watts)

And lastly any good installers in HYD?, someplace near Kondapur/Madhapur/Hitec would be nice!
Old 26th March 2010, 16:17   #6
CPH
BHPian

Due to the fact that the Nano is an absolute budget car (I do not run down the car or look down on Nano owners) be aware that installation of ICE that uses lots of power might overload the electrical system. It has happened to cars many times the purchase price that the cars caught fire because of an overstretched system.

It might be necessary to upgrade the alternator and some wiring, which should be done by e real professional.

I do not know what you can consider a pro in India, but can tell you being an automotive engineer that I wouldn't trust a lot of so called pro in Britain.

To be on the safe side I would contact the manufacturer before installation.
CPH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 16:32   #7
BHPian

thanks for the input CPH.

I do have an option of going ahead with the ICE installation at the local TATA dealer, but the original ICE fitting comes with a puny 4 inch speakers albeit with a nice bluetooth clarion HU. However, now that you mention the overload bit, the reasoning behind offering puny speakers could be related.

PS: the pictures of burnt-up Nano's dont help too!
Old 26th March 2010, 17:06   #8
BHPian

JBL GTO947 are good and are bassy as well. Sony is not good in my opinion.
Still its better you listen and decide what your ears like. I heard panasonic also which were very very good. Also listen to them.

Speaking about overloading the electrical system, It is absolutely fine. HU+2pairs of speakers are not a overkill in any vehicle. If we recall, the JBL demo nano had a super duper ICE in it. Though the system was HOT, it never caught fire. Not sure what electrical changes were made though.

Keeping this aside, the manufacturers definetly consider an music system option while designing the car. Thats why they provide stock locations for the speakers.
shreyasma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 17:49   #9
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
JBL GTO947 are good and are bassy as well. Sony is not good in my opinion.
Still its better you listen and decide what your ears like. I heard panasonic also which were very very good. Also listen to them.

Speaking about overloading the electrical system, It is absolutely fine. HU+2pairs of speakers are not a overkill in any vehicle. If we recall, the JBL demo nano had a super duper ICE in it. Though the system was HOT, it never caught fire. Not sure what electrical changes were made though.

Keeping this aside, the manufacturers definetly consider an music system option while designing the car. Thats why they provide stock locations for the speakers.
If the impedance of the voice coil is identical with the ones fitted as standard the aftermarket speakers can't draw more power than the OE speakers.

If you add a subwoofer you add a new power demanding unit. This is where the problems can occur. Evenly strain is put on by amplifiers using more energy or a radio that has got more powerful amplifiers.

I might remind you that several McLaren Mrecedes caught fire because they had electrical overload destroying the alternator control electronics causing the fire to start.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 20:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
Due to the fact that the Nano is an absolute budget car (I do not run down the car or look down on Nano owners) be aware that installation of ICE that uses lots of power might overload the electrical system. It has happened to cars many times the purchase price that the cars caught fire because of an overstretched system.
I have installed an aftermarket head unit with four speakers and an amplified subwoofer in a Nano and there have been no issues.
Bass&Trouble is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010, 08:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
If the impedance of the voice coil is identical with the ones fitted as standard the aftermarket speakers can't draw more power than the OE speakers.

If you add a subwoofer you add a new power demanding unit. This is where the problems can occur. Evenly strain is put on by amplifiers using more energy or a radio that has got more powerful amplifiers.

I might remind you that several McLaren Mrecedes caught fire because they had electrical overload destroying the alternator control electronics causing the fire to start.
I agree. But we are not talking power hogger systems here.
Anyways, B&T's post confirms that there will be no issues.
Old 28th March 2010, 10:29   #12

Default Audio setup + installer for nano in Mysore

Hi,

Can you please help me with a basic car audio setup for the Tata Nano. I also need to know the contact for some good installer(s) in Mysore.

I am aware of most of the parts that I need. I will probably go for a Basic Pioneer/Panasonic HU with 4" speakers at the front and 6.5"/6x9" (mostly Hertz/JBL) at the back.

The problem is that except for the HU there is no provisioning of any sort in the Tata Nano.
The front does not have any sort of place to install any speakers. The Tata Dealer installs a system He has a Plastic speaker box which is placed/screwed on to the Dash board of the car. This box can fit in a 4" speaker. The good thing about this box is that it is moulded in the shape of the curved dash in a Nano and fits perfectly. I am hoping I can get this box from the dealer.
The rear luggage space is at a premium in the Nano, so placing any box is ruled out. I am hoping to get a MDF plank cut into the shape of rear parcel tray and put the largest possible speaker size onto this. Does anyone know if I can fit a 6x9 speaker here?

Do you have any idea if I can fit the speaker any where else. Also is there any way to fit a bigger speaker in the front?

The car is in Mysore and I would typically like the installation to be done here. Yesterday I ruled out an installer here who said " Saar!!! you will get chill effect if you put tweeter " .

Are there any good installers here, do I have take the car to Bangalore?

thanks,
Kart
Kart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 14:57   #13
BHPian

Yes, those 4" speaker cases do look slick but i don't think we could get those. I had a word with an installer and was told that they could put the speakers under the dash(!), did'nt get into details as to how, but he said its do-able and works fine.

As for the rear, i think i would rather have small boxes for them rather than getting my parcel tray drilled and shaved. However, getting a custom made MDF tray is a definite way, but again the costs would rise.
Old 2nd April 2010, 16:48   #14
BHPian

Bump!

I am planning to go for the following (Budget 10k):

1) Pioneer DEH-2250 (hoping it supports iPod touch interface)
2) GTO947 - 6x9 at the rear
3) Front??

Could someone advise me on the prevailing prices for the above?, also some good installer in Hyderabad?, thanks.
Old 2nd April 2010, 22:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Custom fibreglass pods? Why not dabble with those? They are not too expensive or difficult to make.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote