Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 11th October 2005, 11:20   #121
BHPian

12" kicker sub is costing Rs 6000, but idea regarding 10" sub
amit_baghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2005, 21:56   #122
BHPian

Hi guruji log,

A friend of mine got impressed after i told him all about team-bhp forum, and the kind of suggestions you people give. He cant post on the forum as he does not have a PC.

He wants to know from u people about the RMS power of Sony 500W xplode amplifier. He tried to find out a lot about this amp, but none dealer is saying about the RMS power. All they say is that, it is 4ch amp with 500W peak power.

Please reply,

Why the heck sony is trying to fool people!!
Old 11th October 2005, 22:02   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_baghe
Hi guruji log,

A friend of mine got impressed after i told him all about team-bhp forum, and the kind of suggestions you people give. He cant post on the forum as he does not have a PC.

He wants to know from u people about the RMS power of Sony 500W xplode amplifier. He tried to find out a lot about this amp, but none dealer is saying about the RMS power. All they say is that, it is 4ch amp with 500W peak power.

Please reply,

Why the heck sony is trying to fool people!!
Amit Sony's Indian website mentions the specs of all amps that Sony sells officially in India. I am not sure which amp your freind is trying to buy? Whats the model number? Is he buying Sony 504? As thats the only budget amplifier that Sony officialy sells. It has 60W RMS per channel.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2005, 22:59   #124
BHPian

yes aseem ji, its sony 504.

From my side, I adviced him to buy pio 6100F, which you people suggested me to buy.

Did i do the right thing?
Old 12th October 2005, 00:06   #125
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
yes aseem ji, its sony 504.

From my side, I adviced him to buy pio 6100F, which you people suggested me to buy.

Did i do the right thing?
well if ur friend can afford it then the pioneer 6100F is the amp to go for..will make wonders to his setup when compared to the sony 504..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2005, 01:31   #126
BHPian

For a ported sub box, does the size of the hole in the box make any difference to the bass effect produced? If yes, then please specify the size of the hole as i am getting a custom made ported box for 12" kicker sub, powered by pio 6100. Remember 6100 is also powering my rear speakers. Setup is 60 x 4 type.

Thanks.

I guess i am doing a lot of R&D before getting the setup done in my car!!!
Old 12th October 2005, 11:18   #127
BHPian

Amit,

Give me the model number of your Kicker sub and i will give you the box design.

For ported box both port diameter and port length is important for tuning the box. And good quality flared ports are must for subwoofers.
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2005, 11:23   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
Amit,

Give me the model number of your Kicker sub and i will give you the box design.

For ported box both port diameter and port length is important for tuning the box. And good quality flared ports are must for subwoofers.

ask vivek for box details for any kind of speakers
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2005, 11:36   #129
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
ask vivek for box details for any kind of speakers
imagine if u were the 1st bhpian to see viveks CCTB enclosure dude..i almost ran out of breadth and next it was sams turn..u guys are having such fun just by looking at the pics imagine how it would have been for us getting an exclusive live show !!!!!
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2005, 11:48   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
imagine if u were the 1st bhpian to see viveks CCTB enclosure dude..i almost ran out of breadth and next it was sams turn..u guys are having such fun just by looking at the pics imagine how it would have been for us getting an exclusive live show !!!!!
i think JB and gunbir r yet 2 c it. hehe. waiting 4 their response
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2005, 14:07   #131
BHPian

Autophile, its a 12" single voi coil woofer, Model Number is 05C124.
Old 12th October 2005, 14:17   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Autophile, its a 12" single voi coil woofer, Model Number is 05C124.
Amit the enclosure specs can be found at crutchfield:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eM4KE9e...i=2065C124#Tab

Recommended Vented Box Volume:

Compact: 1.75 cu/ft; 2" x 12.5" port opening; 16" port depth; the woofer can handle up to 150 watts RMS
SPL/Deep Bass: 2.25 cu/ft; 2" x 12.5" port opening; 16.375" port depth; the woofer can handle up to 150 watts RMS
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2005, 15:07   #133
BHPian

aseem sir, are compact and SPL/Deep Bass two type of vented boxes?

Clearly all those figures you posted were a total bouncer for me!!.

But i need to learn,isnt it?

Can anyone explain in detail please
Old 12th October 2005, 18:06   #134
BHPian

Amit,

Your car is Accent...right..there are three options for you to install the Kicker Comp VR subwoofer :

1. Free Air Installation (a.k.a Infinite Baffle) : The Kicker Comp VR can work fine in free air install (mounted in the tray)

Remove the original parcel shelf. Make a custom parcel shelf from 0.5" MDF. Bolt it to the original metal shelf with foam sandwitched between MDF & metal tray. Make sure you seal all the corners and leakage with foam or silicon sealant.

This is the easiest way to get in cabin bass and you don't need much of power.

2. Ported Box : Kicker recommends two boxes for this subwoofer. The difference is that the sub will play deeper in bigger box and require less power.

So if you want thump go for bigger (SPL/Deep Bass) box if you need more definition and less thump go for smaller (Compact) box.

In Compact Box case : The 1.75 cuft is the volume of the box, 2 X 12.5" is the port mouth dimension and 16" is the port depth (hence LXWXD of port = 12.5X2X16) its not a regular cylinderical port, its a square (slot) type port and it is a part of the box itself.

Similarly are the dimensions for the SPL/Deep Bass box the only difference is increased volume and little more length of the port.

Typically i would like the port openings to terminate in the cabin through the parcel shelf but in case of slot port its a little tough job. Had it been cylinderical ports it would have been much easier.

3. Sealed : Same difference between the two box's sound. Its without the ports hence easier to build but you need more power to get the bass in the cabin. The bass will be tigher and more defined than ported in this case.

In case of option 2 & 3 the boot and the number plate will rattle a lot. so you need to damp the boot.

My suggestion to you is that you go for the option 1, make the parcel shelf with close tolerance and seal it properly.

I assure you that the bass will be deep as well as defined. And most important it will be in cabin.

Also make sure you use Subsonic filter (if any) on the amp in Option 1 & 2 at 25-30Hz. Without that the sub will handle less power and in case of ported you can get port noise (though does not matter when the sub is in the boot). But to increase power handling of the subwoofer Subsonic filter is better to use.

Also the amp is easy as the powersupplies of the amp don't run out of juice due to the increased load presented by the subwoofer in reproducing subsonic frequencies.

The only problem is that this filter is present mostly on mono's and sub channel of multichannel amplifers (e.g. Alpine MRV-F450).

Last edited by Autophile : 12th October 2005 at 18:26.
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2005, 18:46   #135
BHPian

Autophile, your post was perfect. That single post of yours has clarified many of my doubts.

As you said that you would prefer option 1 ie Free Air, but aseem bhai said he would prefer ported box. I need a final suggestion, because i wont be in a position to test both the setups, as i said that i am ordering a cutom made box. If the box is made, the installation person is going to charge me for the box even if dont buy it.