Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 30th March 2010, 14:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Carputer Configuration Help!

Not exactly DIY, but I intend to buy the parts, put it together, and install it using my Installer - so maybe DII

I had opened a similar thread previously, but that died down. Maybe due to excessive expectations that I had from the setup. This time the plan is simple.

1. A decent carputer configuration
2. As much of storage as practically possible
3. A USB Sound Card
4. Good 7" sunlight-readable touchscreen
5. GPS
6. Good OS
7. Tips on optimizing Windows for Carputer use.

I will run the audio output from the USB soundcard to a nice head unit's AUX input. No surround sound. Help me put together a BOQ please!

One last question. Can I have a couple more touchscreens in the rear head rest so that I can operate the carputer when I'm in one of the rear seats too?
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 18:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

For a baisc setup you can have a look at this setup...

Motherboard Asus ITX220
Theitdepot - Asus Mini ITX Motherboard (ITX-220)
I will prefer this to atom ones.
Two sticks of 1gb ram.
one SSD or/+ laptop harddrive.
M2 or larger/better power supply or dual battery.
cabinet as per requirement from iride or otherwise
mini keyboard with touchpad ( saw in croma for about 2k)
sirf usb gps receiver
usb wifi dongle
usb bluetooth from enter( this runs bluesolie software compatible with centrafuse)
XP with centrafuse
double din lcd kit from iride
iRide Technologies - Double-Din LCD Frame with IRV-070GL

other motherboards
asus AT3N7A-I
Theitdepot - Asus Mini ITX Motherboard (AT3N7A-I)

or there is a DFI board from primeabgb for 8k
any core2duo or newer cpu as per motherboard with least power consumption

or zotac/dell zino with automotive 19v dc-dc power supply.

asus got a good usb sound card

for multiple displays headrest mount type are also available. you have to check out motherboards with DVI analog out or multiple VGA out or put in additional PCI VGA card or better buy touch screen with dvi/hdmi inputs.

there are usb type displays also but there is issues about screen resolution in many makes, so verify it in case you are going for it.

Last edited by gigy : 30th March 2010 at 18:54.
gigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 01:19   #3
BHPian

@B&T. Do not go fro USB soundcard at all. Go for PCI based soundcard. USB soundcard tends to have hibernation and resuming issues. I have switched to on board Audio currently.
You can go for Zotac or Asus ION based motherboard. Asus ITX-220 suggested by Gigy is also good, if you are just going to play music,nav and videos and browsing.
nisarg86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 03:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

This not exactly on topic, but thought I'd ask anyways: What happens in a carputer setup when you turn the ignition off - will it be like turning off the power in a home setup (without UPS) where the PC gets turned off abruptly (ie, not a proper shutdown of the OS)? Or will the carputer go to hibernation / sleep?
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 08:18   #5
sdh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
This not exactly on topic, but thought I'd ask anyways: What happens in a carputer setup when you turn the ignition off - will it be like turning off the power in a home setup (without UPS) where the PC gets turned off abruptly (ie, not a proper shutdown of the OS)? Or will the carputer go to hibernation / sleep?
If you use the right kind of power supply, it can gracefully shutdown/hibernate your pc when ignition is turned off and bring it back to life when you turn the ignition on again.
sdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 13:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure all 3 screens could be used as touchscreens. If it can be, I would like to know how too.

Like you, my project has also been delayed for eternity. I am considering thin clients now. Just making enquiries.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 15:43   #7
BANNED

see, I'd suggest you to visit www.iride.in and chose for the basic items from mother borad to touch screens. what ever you need is there.
you can buy the whole setup as well.

I am refring you iride because you can purchase motherborad from the local market but not the powersupply and the screen, unless you order it off the ebay.

In India he is the only one who can sell you the screen.
monty9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 14:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

@ gigy - So, Asus ITX 220 or AT3N7A-I? What's the difference. Across the board, I don't mind spending a bit more for something better.

Has SSD become affordable? How much capacity would I need for Windows + Centrafuse + all other programs?

What's M2 power supply? And what do you mean by dual battery? I need the smart power supply that autmoatically shuts down on switching off ignition and with sufficient wattage.

Wrt multiple displays - What's the point having multiple VGA etc. output. Through this they won't function as touchscreens, right? Even the primary monitor up front will have to be USB, I'm guessing. I don't want to compromise on the quality of the primary one, which one should I get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
@B&T. Do not go fro USB soundcard at all. Go for PCI based soundcard. USB soundcard tends to have hibernation and resuming issues. I have switched to on board Audio currently.
So, which PCI based soundcard? Do those fit inside the cabinet?
Old 2nd April 2010, 17:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

ITX220 is a basic board , works faster than dual core atom has dual channel ram,and has good audio chipset at a extra power of 10watts in comparision to atom board. this is enough for carputer use unless you want to game or play full hd videos. for less than 3k this is good deal.

AT3N7A-I has better video card on board for playing full HD contents but i an not sure how good it will be for gaming as cpu will limit the capability.

The DFI board will be ultimate setup for carputer.

SSD of 32gb is enough but price is still high, a new 120gb OCZ economical model has come out for 100$ but i dont know about local availability.

M2 is a 160w automotive powersupply, with auto startup/shutdown. iride has similar model LB-160D.
For better quality you can check
http://www.opussolutions.com/index.php?p=product&id=49

dual battery will be a manual starup/shut down method.

if motherboard has dual display then doth of them can be programmed to show different menus of centrafuse or other programmes.if it is a touchscreen display the touch screen will on both through usb. multimonitor is supported by touch screen software.
monitor will be vga or dvi. usb monitor has come but many of the model has issue in giving proper resolution support.
usb card has isue in hibernation for many but i have always shutdown the pc and never used hibernation. it used to takes a minute max for my carputer.

Last edited by gigy : 2nd April 2010 at 17:20.
Old 2nd April 2010, 17:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
The DFI board will be ultimate setup for carputer.
I'll go for the DFI then. Where could I get it? What would be a good price?

Quote:
SSD of 32gb is enough but price is still high, a new 120gb OCZ economical model has come out for 100$ but i dont know about local availability.
Then it's better I go with a 2.5" HDD. Can we have the same approach as desktops/ laptops, i.e. buy a large capacity drive and use a 40-60GB partition for OS + programs? What is the maximum amount of hard drive capacity I can have inside the cabinet?

Quote:
M2 is a 160w automotive powersupply, with auto startup/shutdown. iride has similar model LB-160D.
For better quality you can check
OPUS SOLUTIONS - Leader in Vehicle Computers and Mobile DC-DC Power Supplies
So, should I just get the Opus one and finish the matter off?

Where should I get the touchscreen from? Better to source from abroad or buy from iRide? As I said, I want the 7" primary one to be as high quality as possible. And cabinet and CPU?
Old 2nd April 2010, 17:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Pci card can also be fixed using flexible pci extension cable.
Asus has low profile sound card Xonar HDAV1.3 Slim. asus Xonar Essence ST in case you need audiophile types which is full size.
Old 2nd April 2010, 18:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
I'll go for the DFI then. Where could I get it? What would be a good price?
this was last available with primeabgb.com for 8800, availability has to be checked else you might have to settle for intel mini itx doard for main stream processor.

Then it's better I go with a 2.5" HDD. Can we have the same approach as desktops/ laptops, i.e. buy a large capacity drive and use a 40-60GB partition for OS + programs? What is the maximum amount of hard drive capacity I can have inside the cabinet?

you can go for the 500gb one and keep a 20gb partition for ops and rest can be suitably allocated for storing. avoid segate ones. hitachi to be more robust

So, should I just get the Opus one and finish the matter off?
opus has better quality as per reviews

Where should I get the touchscreen from? Better to source from abroad or buy from iRide? As I said, I want the 7" primary one to be as high quality as possible. And cabinet and CPU?
i think iride ones are good enough, else you will have to import the sunlight readable ones from abroad

for DFI you will need a little bigger box. cpu a core i3,i5 or i7. the lowest power one is about 75watts from i3 i think. this board has a pciexpress slot for the graphics card, so audio is limited to onboard or usb.

other intel boards
Socket 775

Last edited by gigy : 2nd April 2010 at 18:29.
Old 3rd April 2010, 01:07   #13
BHPian

@B&T. agree with Gigy. iRide's LCD is quite good. I think dual core atom would be more than enough in car. But get the borad that has PCi slot. so you can get the PCi based sound card according to your budgate. Few Asus and Gigabyte Mobo has PCI slot.

You can use nLite to strip down the XP. or Get the windows XP performance edition.

I have been using LB-160D power supply from iRide for more than a year now. and it works flawlessly. Not even a single reboot.
nisarg86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 14:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

One more board looks interesting as many of us will be having old lga775 processors lying with them. anybody have researched on this particular model?
Panache
Old 3rd April 2010, 14:48   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post

So, which PCI based soundcard? Do those fit inside the cabinet?
you will need this http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j0...d-SLPS057-.jpg to for soundcard to fit inside the tight cabinet.
i have this for sale for Rs. 1000 its brand new and unused.
monty9991 is offline   Reply With Quote