Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 14:50   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,626
Thanked: 967 Times
Default

DLS speakers!
Where in the world did you source them from?
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 15:23   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
vinaydas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,362
Thanked: 85 Times
Default

As Borat Would say
VEERY NICEE.

I might have missed up on some of the posts, what were the damages.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 20:10   #48
Newbie
 
MaheshNarayanan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hi GTO,
Congrats on the new music system. I recently bought a civic A/T and I am need of a GPS navigator, bluetooth for hands free phone and rear camera setup. Yours is the first civic modification I have seen. The hu unit in civic is so pefectly blended with the dashboard that it seems imposible to replace it without getting a new dashboard. Atleast that's what i thought till i saw this thread and that could partly be becoz i am total noob when it comes to mods of any kind.

So my question is what kind of a budget am i looking at If my requrements are the following
1)GPS navigation (it should be able to give audio instructions 'turn right' 'turn left' )
2) It should have menu for popular places, favorite places etc I mean the whole deal. The stuff that seen the top gear episode season 14 ep 1 on richard hammond's ferrari.
3)Don't care about the audio features really the level of audio quality in the OEM unit is acceptable. I won't changing the speakers that came with the car.
4)Should have bluetooth to connect to bluetooth enabled phone. Should be able to recieve, reject and make calls using voice instructions.
5)The system should have provision to connect to rear/ reverse camera.
6)Seamless integration with the dashboard. Like what you see in the manila(or some south east asian country) version of civic that comes with the OEM GPS system. GTO I like the integration in your car but still there are some gaps seen in the pics on the dash. This is the most important of all my requirements, if this isn possible then I won't be doing this at all.

So uys share your opinion as to how much that will set me back by? like GTO pointed out it's afterall not my money that will be spent so have to be more cautious. just kidding

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th April 2010 at 10:49.
MaheshNarayanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 21:17   #49
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,748
Thanked: 7,468 Times
Default

WOW! I just saw this! Man you really got a DISCO in there!

Great choice and a very clean install!
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 21:28   #50
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 112
Thanked: Once
Default

Congrats GTO, on ur new DISCO on wheels.
A neat setup by B&T and Navin , in particular the tweeter fabrication.

The comments on steering control made it straight for me, No wonder my audio guy asked for few more days to check with punto service engineer to set the steering controls in Punto MJD E+ when I upgraded my headunit last weekend.

Last edited by Dine : 13th April 2010 at 21:30.
Dine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 22:49   #51
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 237
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
You know, to be honest...though I love the sound quality in the Civic (even more so now that I'm getting used to it), I don't mind the basic systems in my other cars. Meaning, when I'm listening to my iPod in the other cars, I don't *miss* the Civic's ICE. Of course, the setup is great to have, and every drive in the Civic is an experience in itself, but I think I'm more finicky about what's playing (i.e. song). Over how its playing.


WRT the questions on cost, lets just say it went into the six figures. I know we have a younger audience here and I'd hate to influence them in overshooting their ICE budget. One tip to the younger gen : Whenever you get it, do so with your OWN $$$ (and not your Dads).

First of all, Congratulations GTO on an excellent ICE set up,
I'm not sure if I speak for the entire younger generation, but at least personally, Even though we'd all love to, I don't know of too many people who'd spend their own cash,( Dads cash would probably give the average indian dad a heart attack) in six figures just for ICE, I'm sure it's worth every penny, just requires a lot of passion and heart to do so,and since you got an amazing deal on the car itself, makes it all the more worth it I guess. I'm not sure but I think 95% of the indian population would be satisfied by the link of "guide to basic car audio" and the remaining 5% Advanced guide for the enthusiast, I believe the team-BHP ICE show off section contributes to a good number of the 5%. Like you said, your fine even with your jeeps speakers, It's more of which song is playing
Having said that, I myself upgraded from the the factory fitted sony with 2 speakers to a pioneer HU with polk in front, JBL 6x9 at the back, a sony amp with a JBL bass tube, the whole process was done over 3 years time, and the last 2 additions were from a cousin's car who moved to the US. Not justifying anything, but i'm not particularly sure under which category i come under.
Anyhow
No offense meant to anyone in anyway,
To each his own
Congrats once again.
Cheers!

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th April 2010 at 10:50. Reason: Fixing quote
raghav.carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 15:45   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,740
Thanked: 89,249 Times
Default

Our resident Audio-Gurus in discussion:
Turning my Honda Civic into a DISCO!-05042010229.jpg

Navin emphasizing why these are better than my favourite brand Pioneer:
Turning my Honda Civic into a DISCO!-05042010222.jpg

I could open a damn accessory shop here!
Turning my Honda Civic into a DISCO!-05042010227.jpg

W-I-P
Turning my Honda Civic into a DISCO!-05042010220.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Surely, a great choice of equipment there but yes every driver or in some cases the amps go through the run in period. It's specially the subs that need little bit more attention. As the sub's suspension may take several hours to break in. some subs start to work better even with just 10hrs of break in and in some they can take even upto 100hrs. Its always a good idea to break in a sub.
Now you guys tell me . Why don't the ICER's create a comprehensive ADVICE collection of articles, as per the section we have for cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeniz View Post
Is it good or bad ?
Good, real good. The doors feel more solid and sound insulation is excellent. Rattles and squeaks (when you turn the volume up) have disappeared for the most part. However, the car needs to visit Ajay for fine-tuning. I'm hearing something loose on the LHS rear.

Quote:
But my only problem is plastic rattling of front doors and some other parts in my car, as i was low on budget at the time of speaker installation i didn't went for sound dampening.
Spend 5 - 8 grand on it. It's well worth the cost + effort. All your door panels will have to be removed, so ensure that you visit a pro-installer. This is what a damped door looks like:
Turning my Honda Civic into a DISCO!-05042010225.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
DLS speakers!
Where in the world did you source them from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Great choice and a very clean install!
Credit for part sourcing to B&T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshNarayanan View Post
So my question is what kind of a budget am i looking at If my requrements are the following
Long time since I made an ICE recommendation, but looking at your post, I guess you need a well-equipped HU, and a GPS system to mate it with.

Quote:
GTO I like the integration in your car but still there are some gaps seen in the pics on the dash. This is the most important of all my requirements, if this isn possible then I won't be doing this at all.
The gaps you see on either side of the HU are even. This is as clean as an after-market HU install can look. If you want an absolute flush-fit (like the OEM HU), I guess you'll have to buy a Honda Civic OEM HU from another country (that gives you the features you want).

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
Even though we'd all love to, I don't know of too many people who'd spend their own cash,( Dads cash would probably give the average indian dad a heart attack) in six figures just for ICE, I'm sure it's worth every penny, just requires a lot of passion and heart to do so
Well, you are in the midst of mad car enthusiasts here . I didn't think twice before spending 3 times the book value of my Jeep on a new engine, or 50 grand on alloys + tyres for my ol' Honda City. Yup, we are a bunch of (happy) nuts.

Quote:
,and since you got an amazing deal on the car itself, makes it all the more worth it I guess.
Good point. The beauty of buying used is, you can splurge on modifications and still end up saving (vis a vis a new car). My Civic's going to be treated to a lot more goodies!

Quote:
Like you said, your fine even with your jeeps speakers, It's more of which song is playing
Or for that matter, the 6,000 rupee music system at my office that I spend most waking hours listening to. I don't think a pro-audio system is required to really *enjoy* music. It's good to have...sure...but the songs you listen to are more important.

Okay, I'm off the ICE section now and back to my engines.

Last edited by GTO : 14th April 2010 at 15:46.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 16:37   #53
BHPian
 
dhirajs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 144
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Nice ,all you now need is a Good DJ frend for weekly updates on the ipod!

I believe Memories by DG/Kid Cudi would be your current favourite!
Do listen to Schiller - Dream of you/i feel you/ruhe, etc

Cheers!
dhirajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 17:03   #54
Distinguished - BHPian
 
smartcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,973
Thanked: 11,916 Times
Default

Looks like you no longer have 60:40 split folding rear seats. And because of all the heavy machinery in the boot, I think you will be forced to carry one less bag on your highway jaunts.

How long does it take to fit all these gizmos? An entire day? Also, will the normal car battery be able to handle the extra load?
smartcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 18:36   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,740
Thanked: 89,249 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirajs View Post
I believe Memories by DG/Kid Cudi would be your current favourite!
Do listen to Schiller - Dream of you/i feel you/ruhe, etc
Ruhe is AWESOME! Will get the others ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Looks like you no longer have 60:40 split folding rear seats.
Actually, thanks to stingy Honda I never had them! Get this, the Civic doesn't even come equipped with a folding rear seat, leave aside 60:40 splits.

Quote:
And because of all the heavy machinery in the boot, I think you will be forced to carry one less bag on your highway jaunts.
Not a biggie actually. While I do intend to use the Civic on the highway off & on, my regular out of town steed is the C220.

Quote:
How long does it take to fit all these gizmos? An entire day?
Took 2 full days, and then another for measurements.

Quote:
Also, will the normal car battery be able to handle the extra load?
Funny thing is, my OHC Vtec with a single amp + subwoofer would dim its lights (interior & exterior) on every beat (when the volume was turned up). The Civic doesn't at all and remains stable. B&T credits it to the superior power system.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 18:49   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
kutlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,126
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Funny thing is, my OHC Vtec with a single amp + subwoofer would dim its lights (interior & exterior) on every beat (when the volume was turned up).
That's the real disco effect rt?
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 11:57   #57
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 73
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

First of all, a GREAT install.

I do have a few of questions on the install:

1. Why did you use two 2-channel amps as against one 4 channel amp?
2. Why is the LHS and RHS connected to a different amp as against, Front and Rear. Is this to make the wiring simpler?
3. I didn't notice the sub enclosures are ported. Are they?
4. Did you calculate to get the right enclosure volume or just made sure they fitted in the space in the boot?
5. Why didn't you use components in the rear?
6. How is the connection to both the subs made on the monoblock? In series or in parallel?
7. Are the Subs DVC? If yes, how did you make use of the Voice Coils?

NOOB QUESTION:
Did you not see the need for a capacitor? How do you know when you need one?

Sorry about all the questions. I am very excited to see the setup.

GTO:
A couple of suggestions:
1. Your iPOD read and search will be quicker if you get the iPOD interface cable instead of USB.
2. You could consider some of MOMO grills for your subs. They look much better than the ones you currently have.
Pedal2Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 12:57   #58
BHPian
 
sarmarishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 424
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Question to B&T and Navin

Hi Guys. Love the work you guys have done on GTO's car. Unfortunately I am in Bangalore else would have loved to get it done through you guys. Would you by any chance know anyone who can do a similar job in Bangalore? Need to get it done for my Esteem and Innova. I dont want the interior to look any different from what it is now, but need a good system with enough punch, although 1 sub should be fine with me.

Also, can you please suggest the stuff that should be put into the Innova and what I should look at putting into my Esteem (if possible separately). I can actaully come and pick up the stuff from you in Mumbai and then get it installed here if required.

The problem with the Esteem is the slot for front speakers is only 4" :( And the Innova is brand new, no ICE yet. In terms of the HU, I dont really need a touch screen!
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 14:23   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

Some more Q's if you will

* What make are the stock speakers of the Civic?
* How are the stock tweeters and woofers at the front connected to the stock HU? Are the tweeters directly connected to the HU? Is there a xover (I doubt!) ?
* How much of a SQ issue would it have been if the new tweeters were installed in the stock tweeter locations on the dash corners?
* Which surfaces on the doors have been damped? One of them is visible in the snap. Have the inside of the door plastic, and the inside surface of the outer body shell been damped too?
* Where have the xovers been installed?


PS: Ajay has lost weight? Seems to be carrying a lean and hung...err thirsty look !
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 17:23   #60
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,740
Thanked: 89,249 Times
Default

Quote:
1. Your iPOD read and search will be quicker if you get the iPOD interface cable instead of USB.
Thanks and...

Quote:
2. You could consider some of MOMO grills for your subs. They look much better than the ones you currently have.
Thanks! I had absolutely no clue that Momo makes subwoofer grilles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Unfortunately I am in Bangalore else would have loved to get it done through you guys. Would you by any chance know anyone who can do a similar job in Bangalore?
EVO's work seems to be top class. Check his details out in our Tuner directory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal2Metal View Post
1. Why did you use two 2-channel amps as against one 4 channel amp?
2. Why is the LHS and RHS connected to a different amp as against, Front and Rear. Is this to make the wiring simpler?
3. I didn't notice the sub enclosures are ported. Are they?
4. Did you calculate to get the right enclosure volume or just made sure they fitted in the space in the boot?
5. Why didn't you use components in the rear?
6. How is the connection to both the subs made on the monoblock? In series or in parallel?
7. Are the Subs DVC? If yes, how did you make use of the Voice Coils?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
* What make are the stock speakers of the Civic?
* How are the stock tweeters and woofers at the front connected to the stock HU? Are the tweeters directly connected to the HU? Is there a xover (I doubt!) ?
* How much of a SQ issue would it have been if the new tweeters were installed in the stock tweeter locations on the dash corners?
* Which surfaces on the doors have been damped? One of them is visible in the snap. Have the inside of the door plastic, and the inside surface of the outer body shell been damped too?
* Where have the xovers been installed?
I think I'll leave these for Navin & Ajay to answer
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Range Rover Sports and Disco 3 in India!! Maverick5490 Super-Cars & Imports in India 67 15th January 2013 12:59
Turning an Enfield Crusader into an Ensign - Am I crazy? Saraswathi Motorbikes 2 17th October 2011 17:24
Honda City Vs Honda Civic E Vs Honda Civic V (pre-owned) drkunaldas Sedans 4 31st October 2010 18:07
turning fiat into a merc adityapd The Indian Car Scene 0 12th October 2004 15:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks