Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 14th April 2010, 23:18   #1
BHPian

Default Here goes my story of a dreadfull ice mistake

Hello all..
I am a newbie and well here is my story about a apocalyptic mistake done by oberai hyundai to ruin my ice.
After a lot of consideration my dad got a hyundai accent in 2008.The car was to be rarely used as we already had a Wagaon R in the family and being a bureaucrat all his office work was done by the official car.
So well before the delivery of the car my dad generously asked me if i had to put some accesories(he only allowed me to put accesories from the service center nothing from outside) oh hell yes i had a whole list.
So there goes the phone to oberai hyundai after telling about all the usuall accesorie i asked if they had any audio GURU whome i could have a talk with and tell my requierments for ice.And the answer promptly came yes sir we do and now i was talking to one of their audio gurus.i said all i want are 6*9 speakers in the back nice speakers upfront with a pair of tweeters and a 4ch amplifier with which you should power all the 4 speakers and i also mentioned that everything should be JBL.

Now i really dont know how it happened either i have to blame the network provider for not making my voice clear or that guy whome i was talking to but he misunderstood JBL for JVL.

And when i got the car i switched on the head unit which was alpine and i played my favourite cd the sound was good but nothing great.Nothing close to a sony leave alone a JBL sytem.

So i checked the bills and well he had charged some 6 grand for the rear speakers and around 3 or 4 for the front ones and about 5 grand for the amplifier!!!!

I went straight to my car opened the boot sqeezed my self in it and read what was written on the speakers it proudly said JVL!!!!

Hmmm that answered all my doubts.A call to hyundai was in store now and the guy camly says that sir you only said JVL even we were shocked but we have to do work according to the coustomers demand. And now i was shocked.

I again sat in the car and now dishartened started listening to the system again.i realised that it wasn that bad but still it was bad.

I have lived with this present set up for about an year and a half now and what my ears have told me is that the rear speakers are pretty decent but the front ones really need an upgrade.
Now my request to all the gurus out here is that i am planning to upgrade my front JVL speakers to JBL components.Please tell me some affordable models of the same.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 06:49   #2

Enigma, here are my 2 cents on this. Never ever get the ICE from the dealer.

Even I had a similar expierence with my Indica Xeta about 3 years back. I told them that I need a complete Kenwood Setup with 2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers and Head Unit(Gave him couple of model nos).

But when I got my car delivered, I saw a complete Nippon setup, when I asked the dealer, he said that Nippon is the Indian manufacturer of Kenwood in India. So they deal directly with Nippon if the customer ask for Kenwood.

I was speachless.
ashishsonileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 08:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thats sad, But let the moment *** it has been 2 years now. And My suggestion would be get JBL 608c Components for the front. JBl GTO 948 speakers at the rear.
You will be all set . I also have a 4ch JBL s644 amp to power all the four speakers.
HAve the same set up on my swift. What amp did he give you ?
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 15:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishsonileo View Post
Enigma, here are my 2 cents on this. Never ever get the ICE from the dealer.

Even I had a similar expierence with my Indica Xeta about 3 years back. I told them that I need a complete Kenwood Setup with 2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers and Head Unit(Gave him couple of model nos).

But when I got my car delivered, I saw a complete Nippon setup, when I asked the dealer, he said that Nippon is the Indian manufacturer of Kenwood in India. So they deal directly with Nippon if the customer ask for Kenwood.

I was speachless.
Dear ashishsonileo yes i know that getting accessories done up from the dealer is a mistake.But i had no other option because my dad insisted on getting it done from the dealer only.And i did regret for it

I did get other accessories installed as well.I told the dealer that i wanted HID bulbs that gave blue lighting.And what i got in return were some chinese 60/55W bulbs which emmitted blue light!GREAT!

And just as you think it cant get any better .....I finaly got frustated of those bulb and told the dealer to put philips essential vission 90/100 bulbs with a relay.When the car came back i was pleasently suprised as the bulbs were not from another planet he had installed a relay and upgraded the wire harness.But againt the dark truth could not hide for long and after 5 or so month of this install the relay packed up.After changing the relay from the dealer again it went on fine but as of now some connection is again loose and at night all of a sudden my high beam stops working and sometimes its the low beam which stops working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Thats sad, But let the moment *** it has been 2 years now. And My suggestion would be get JBL 608c Components for the front. JBl GTO 948 speakers at the rear.
You will be all set . I also have a 4ch JBL s644 amp to power all the four speakers.
HAve the same set up on my swift. What amp did he give you ?
Dear Arjunrudra thanks for the help.
Can you please tell me what would the particular components and speakers cost?
Yes he did give me an amp.Apparently the amp was not of JVL but infact JVX!!!!Now this is honestly shocking.Its a 4ch amp though, if you want i can upload some pics of the same.
Old 15th April 2010, 15:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Have your Ice ( and preferably anything on your car) installed under your supervision. Apart from the product itself, a lot of other things can be messed up which you might never know
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 15:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi enigma,you can go thru alot of audio products these days available in the aftermarket ICE stores,I would suggest instead of getting a written model number try and get audition of different brands of ICE products.

Simple way is which ever shop agree's to give you an audition,burn your fav. song or take the USB loaded with your fav. numbers play them,which ever suits your listening Bang go for it

PS:one's brand of ICE may not be other listener's liking.
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 17:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
Hello all..
I am a newbie
but he misunderstood JBL for JVL.

And when i got the car i switched on the head unit which was alpine and i played my favourite cd the sound was good but nothing great.Nothing close to a sony leave alone a JBL sytem.

So i checked the bills and well he had charged some 6 grand for the rear speakers and around 3 or 4 for the front ones and about 5 grand for the amplifier!!!!

I went straight to my car opened the boot sqeezed my self in it and read what was written on the speakers it proudly said JVL!!!!

Hmmm that answered all my doubts.A call to hyundai was in store now and the guy camly says that sir you only said JVL even we were shocked but we have to do work according to the coustomers demand. And now i was shocked.

Now my request to all the gurus out here is that i am planning to upgrade my front JVL speakers to JBL components.Please tell me some affordable models of the same.
well well, it wasn't a mistake. some genius tried to capitalize on JBL by making a brand in the name of JVL. the same way a chinese horn brand ditto copy called "stobol" is available, in a similar packaging as that of the original "stebel" of italy.

be cautious is all i can say.

JBL GTO 608c with b/w has an MRP of 6999. use yr negotiation skills or lay your hands on some freebies!

then, there's infinity, infinity kappa... take a look at their website for more info.
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 17:35   #8
BHPian

@Enigma, Its fine ! the era is over, you have completed an year and a half. Now you can very well switch over to genuine JBL products available in India.

I am using JBL GTO 948 limited edition 6x9 in the rear and to be honest, its a good speaker for the price with good base.

Regarding front components you can very well go with JBL 608c .

PS. there is an another high value section called infinity. Try the site ::: JBL ::: for the product list.
thelightening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 19:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Have your Ice ( and preferably anything on your car) installed under your supervision. Apart from the product itself, a lot of other things can be messed up which you might never know
Yes now im beginning to doubt the creadibility of my sevice center..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Hi enigma,you can go thru alot of audio products these days available in the aftermarket ICE stores,I would suggest instead of getting a written model number try and get audition of different brands of ICE products.

Simple way is which ever shop agree's to give you an audition,burn your fav. song or take the USB loaded with your fav. numbers play them,which ever suits your listening Bang go for it

PS:one's brand of ICE may not be other listener's liking.
Thanks for the advice and i completely agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
well well, it wasn't a mistake. some genius tried to capitalize on JBL by making a brand in the name of JVL. the same way a chinese horn brand ditto copy called "stobol" is available, in a similar packaging as that of the original "stebel" of italy.

be cautious is all i can say.

JBL GTO 608c with b/w has an MRP of 6999. use yr negotiation skills or lay your hands on some freebies!

then, there's infinity, infinity kappa... take a look at their website for more info.
Thanks for highliting the price will deffinetly audition them soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
@Enigma, Its fine ! the era is over, you have completed an year and a half. Now you can very well switch over to genuine JBL products available in India.

I am using JBL GTO 948 limited edition 6x9 in the rear and to be honest, its a good speaker for the price with good base.

Regarding front components you can very well go with JBL 608c .

PS. there is an another high value section called infinity. Try the site ::: JBL ::: for the product list.
Thanks

Guys thanks for you help i have another question will the amp that i presently have(JVX arrrrgggg) Be able to drive my components properly?
Old 16th April 2010, 10:29   #10
Team-BHP Support

I have never seen JVL components. Can you post pictured of the same.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 13:58   #11
BHPian

I dont have jvl components but I do have jvl 6*9s