Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 27th October 2005, 14:52   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Video...what video?? Where do I dl it from?
Khallaas. Now the mods are downloading that stupid video.... Oh God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
Yeah sam..we shud focus on audio..actually was listening to the audio from the video that i downloaded..i mean the " how to do a KBC wave..from the audio guru" and the audio wasnt that clear.

My questions are

1) How do i filter that unwanted noise in the background and hear ur advice only.

2) U think my ear fones arent gud enuff or i need to reduce the high and low freq and increase the lower mids to hear it more clearly..

Advice me sam..pls
HaHaHa! Everyones out to take me. Thank God I'm a good sport.
Quote:
.......Bose speakers.
IMHO I think Bose is the biggest con job in the history of mankind. MY opinion. They do have a few good speakers... but the acoustimass...
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 15:13   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
IMHO I think Bose is the biggest con job in the history of mankind. ...
IMO Microsoft is the biggest con job in the history of mankind!
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 15:46   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Some how I think this video is going to make my full kachra
U bet Sam.... I first watched the video while at work and I almost fell off my chair.... Was just too funny.... after u explained and waved the 3rd time, i was flat on the floor.... and my colleagues were wondering why... Maybe I should share with them the video too.... and let them know who you are eh??? kya kehete ho??
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 16:26   #139
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay
U bet Sam.... I first watched the video while at work and I almost fell off my chair.... Was just too funny.... after u explained and waved the 3rd time, i was flat on the floor.... and my colleagues were wondering why... Maybe I should share with them the video too.... and let them know who you are eh??? kya kehete ho??
how about sending that video to the worlds most amazing videos( indias entry to comedy) show eehh sam !!! what say others...

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 27th October 2005 at 16:29.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 17:56   #140
Senior - BHPian

absolutely Mcl... Thats the smart thing to do... I can see navin waving his hand in affirmation too.... lol
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 18:15   #141
BHPian

Lightbulb lemme talk my mind...

Sam is being a gud sport and i dont wanna him to change his tangerine hair. It's a vibrant color and goes well with his personality..sam...ek try maarna

Navin used the word psychoacoustics and that got me curious.

1) Isnt it true that our listening is always/most of the times influenced by preconcieved notions which affects our judgement of sound.

For Example: We know that a speaker is from x and y brand and has so and so quality materials. When we listen to the music, we almost make up our minds that the music is gonna sound like this if a particular instrument is playing. Isnt it like being a bit biased.

2) Also, when we listen to music from brand A and brand B, do we always give both of them the same level playing ground. Do we test them at the same conditions of sound settings, audio material, speakers, surroundings etc. We may audition amps and speakers in different shops and placed at different positions..can we make a sound judjement is the question.

3) Does the mind always percieve sound / music the same way. Is it not affected by stress and other factors. If you are listening to a new piece of music, its difficult to make a sound judgement cos you dont have anything to compare..( if you have heard it before, u more or less know how it sounded then and have some point of reference..and then again was your first point of reference the right one is the question...a bit complicated hahaha )

4) Also, if you are used to listening to gud sound from high end systems all the time, it becomes sort of difficult to accept music coming from lower end systems..Ur mind is already tuned to certain levels of expectation.

The Point am trying to make is.

A common person may percieve music coming from an entry level system as fantastic while more seasoned listeners like sam or navin may just think of it as crap. well the common man did enjoy his music and sam and navin are looking for theat elusive perfection..( jst kidding i know both of u enjoy the journey and not the destination..LOL)

5) Are all human beings the same when it comes to enjoying music.. hearing and listening are 2 opposite things mind you.

Shudnt we look at some blind tests before making the decision to buy an X or a Y brand ..like audition amps and speakers without knowing what brand and what price they retail for. Well looks does matter when u are done with the blind test..

Hurry Home

Last edited by muni : 27th October 2005 at 18:16.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 21:23   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

emm, a long post that i had 2 read twice

1. wher can u check out multiple brands of amps/HU/speakers combination in india?
2. what if one likes his high end system in his car and he uses a low end system at home?
3. how many inds c a music video ?
4. brand x and y? emm... well i do hear music by singer(s) who r new 2 'singing' field. take 4 example the ukized indian bhangra! its crap 2 me. and do u think we expect the music 2 be gr8 or ... ? no! some becom hits and we accept it.

ok sam, its not johnny 2day just kfs
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 23:55   #143
BHPian

Muni, you are bang on target. Often, you will go to a store and check out certain amps/speakers and they might sound nice. But when you take it home you might be disappointed. When you are listening to speakers, who knows what bass boost and amp settings the store is using while displaying. That is why I say make your own speakers.
Vivekphadnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2005, 00:05   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

shutup vivek , u and ur speaker boxes. i wll pm him abt ur ctbt or whatevr ...grrr

( oye, me just teasing )
Old 28th October 2005, 03:38   #145
BHPian

Muni,
I would qualify as an average listener. My ears are not tuned to the nuances of a "fine" audio system. All I can say is whether I like the sound or not.

One of my friends drives a Pathfinder with Bose audio and it doesn't sound all that great to me.

Another friend drives a Titan (www.nissanusa.com) with Bose audio and it is awesome!

Now, I know both audio systems are made and tuned by the same company but somehow they got the soundstage right (for me??!) on the Titan but not for the Pathfinder.

A family member just got the new Acura TL with the Acura/ELS™ Premium 8-speaker Surround-Sound System with DVD-Audio! I will let you guys know once I get a chance to listen to it!
Zensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2005, 07:09   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensible
Muni,

One of my friends drives a Pathfinder with Bose audio and it doesn't sound all that great to me.

Another friend drives a Titan (www.nissanusa.com) with Bose audio and it is awesome!

Now, I know both audio systems are made and tuned by the same company but somehow they got the soundstage right (for me??!) on the Titan but not for the Pathfinder.
One point to consider is did u chk both of them in the same place, wht i mean to say the acoustics of both the places will be different. The influencing factors being the speaker placement, the size of the room, damping materials, the sound reflection( good and bad), the sound absorption and the sound diffusion in the room.

Ex: My amp-speakers combntn at home sounds better in my room than the hall. Obviously the above mentioned factors must be influencing.

Have you noticed that there are sweet spots for bass frequencies where u find the bass more acceptable than other spots in the same room.

Getting a nice system is one thing but tuning your listening room/hall is another thing

Am not questioning your judgement but only trying to say that there are a lot of factors we need to consider.

Last edited by muni : 28th October 2005 at 07:13.
Old 28th October 2005, 08:53   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

one doubt mate... cant we order/ specify teh config we need when u buy some cars with bose audio?

i 2 thought/think bose audio is gr8. yet 2 hear a bose car audio. also wont the audio be specialized 4 a car ?
Old 28th October 2005, 09:36   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We know that a speaker is from x and y brand and has so and so quality materials.

Also, when we listen to music from brand A and brand B, do we always give both of them the same level playing ground.

Does the mind always percieve sound / music the same way. Is it not affected by stress and other factors.

Also, if you are used to listening to gud sound from high end systems all the time, it becomes sort of difficult to accept music coming from lower end systems..

A common person may percieve music coming from an entry level system as fantastic while more seasoned listeners like sam or navin may just think of it as crap.

5) Are all human beings the same when it comes to enjoying music.. hearing and listening are 2 opposite things mind you.

Shudnt we look at some blind tests before making the decision to buy an X or a Y brand ..like audition amps and speakers without knowing what brand and what price they retail for. Well looks does matter when u are done with the blind test..
ok this is gonna be long....

Yes humans are influenced by their past expereinces and hence might prefer one brand over another that is why most audiophiles consider double blind (ABX) testing where one does not know which brand is playing. to make sure the audiophile is also blind folded.

I have seen that in a room of about 25-30 listeners the group could with about 75-85% accuracy tell the difference between 2 similar speakers namely the Wilson Audio WATT-Puppy VI and the Joesph Audio Pearl.

I was a constant tinkerer modifying my speakers, amps, and CD player. To ensure that my mods were judged in an unbiased manner I enlisted my sister and wife. Both I would call average listeners. Yet they could tell small differences that were barely discernable on a scope with 100% accurracy. I am talking about a 0.5db shelf between 100-400Hz and stuff like that. The could even tell the difference in the bass delivery betweeen 2 sets of power supplies I was testing with the power amp. These experiences tell me that even the "average" can discern one sound from another but is not exposed to it. He/She is never allowed to spend time with systems.

In another experiment my sister's hubby conducted they could tell the difference between valves from 2 different manufacturers in the same circuit. The valves in question were 300B. Now they are not uptodate with what I was seeing on teh scope, which valve manufacturers is more expensive, or whether the power supply I was usig was regulated or unregulated. They are not even familiar with these terms.

It can be argued that my wife and sister might be a bit above average only becasue they are both married to very mad audio crazy individuals. My sister's hubby for example rolls his own interconnect wire using silver and OFC wire and Neutrik and WBT connectors.

Ofcourse stress and time of day can affect listning. My Brother in law and myself for example pre cool the room to about 20-22 deg. C then switch the AC of when we are in our audiophile mode. The room stays comfortable for about 30 min before we are too uncomfortable to listen. Even the whisper of a split AC is not tolerated.

I listen to music systems all over the world some good some average a few bad. What I look for is VFM. Every music system must be defined within the parameters set by the designed ususally budget and size. Bose i find sells stuff that is way too expensive for what it does. Another "average" brand called B&O (Bang and Olufsen) also sells music systems that are expensive for what they do aurally but they are not sold as audio systems they are sold as pieces of architecture that play music as a bonus.

No two people have the same hearing ability but with proper exposure most of us can fall within a very small range. My experience has led me to beleive that women might have slightly better ears (just ask Richard Vandersteen) on an average. Yet there are a few whose listening ablity coupled with their ability to put what they hear in words sets them apart. The best I met was a dimunitive man called J Gordon Holt. The largest I met was Wes Philips (Sorry Wes). :-)

I beleive that part that has the biggest affect on sound in the audio chain is the listening room. Unfortunately architects and builders could care less. That is why I DIY. As a DIY one can design the speakers etc... to match the sound of the room and their location in it. A speaker that is flat to 20Hz will sound great 6 feet away from all walls in a 800 sq. ft. room but the same speaker if tucked into a corner in a 200 sq. ft. room will boom.

besides the room there is also the question of an individuals listening preferences. Some prefer a laid back sound some prefer an extended high end, some prefer background levels, some want to be rocked and others want the sound to part their hair!

I hope you are getting the picture.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2005, 11:49   #149
BHPian

Thanks for sharing ur thots Navin..

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
ok this is gonna be long....

I was a constant tinkerer modifying my speakers, amps, and CD player. To ensure that my mods were judged in an unbiased manner I enlisted my sister and wife. Both I would call average listeners. Yet they could tell small differences that were barely discernable on a scope with 100% accurracy. I am talking about a 0.5db shelf between 100-400Hz and stuff like that.

I beleive that part that has the biggest affect on sound in the audio chain is the listening room. Unfortunately architects and builders could care less. That is why I DIY. As a DIY one can design the speakers etc... to match the sound of the room and their location in it. A speaker that is flat to 20Hz will sound great 6 feet away from all walls in a 800 sq. ft. room but the same speaker if tucked into a corner in a 200 sq. ft. room will boom.

besides the room there is also the question of an individuals listening preferences. Some prefer a laid back sound some prefer an extended high end, some prefer background levels, some want to be rocked and others want the sound to part their hair!

I hope you are getting the picture.

Am gettin what you r saying and u seem to be suggesting the DIY solution( Do it Yourself) if u happen to care abt music that much. Never went into the electronics part of amps and speakers except for what the terminologies mean and how they affect the sound.
The only time i went close was ordering an amp circuit/ parts from EFY( electronics for you) and tried to set up an amplifier. Got a couple of capacitors wrong and blew the circuit and that was the end of it..

I wish u were in Bangalore Navin, i wud hav luved to be part of what u are doin...

Hurry Home

Last edited by muni : 28th October 2005 at 11:51.
Old 28th October 2005, 11:55   #150
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
I wish u were in Bangalore Navin, i wud hav luved to be part of what u are doin...
Hurry Home
u got his crazy junior here in bangalore..read the one and only vivekphadnis ...
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote