Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 29th April 2010, 20:22   #1

Default Hyundai Verna OEM ICE upgrade

Hello all,

My Brother recently got a Verna (fully loaded version) and was wondering how to add on a subwoofer to the OEM HU. I found out that the HU does not have RCA outputs.

The amps in hand are a Blaupunkt MkII (2 ch) and a Sony XM5527 (2ch), the blaupunkt do not have speaker line inputs. So I got a Scosche SLC4 (Line Converter 4ch).

My setup plan is,

Connect the 4 speaker outputs from the HU to the SLC4 (front speaker disconnected and rear speaker parallel), then take the line outs from the SLC 4; Front RCA to the SONY 2 ch to power up the stock speakers and Rear RCA to the Blaupunkt to power the SUB under bridged mode.

That's how I've got it sketched till now, but I'm wondering does the VERNA HU have Remote triggers to power up the amps..

do give me your suggestions and whether my setup plans are on the right track.

Thanks,
kanna.sridharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 10:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Plan sounds OK. Any idea which make is the OE HU? Did the car come with a manual of the HU (usually does)?

Even if the HU does not have a remote switch-on signal (usually a blue+white wire), you could wire the ignition key signal (Switch/Accessory signal; red or red+yellow wire) to the amp for remote turn-on.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 23:14   #3

Deralte: Thanks for the tip actually I haven't seen the car yet as it is in Andhra.

I read some reviews and it read that the new version's ICE was made by Nippon, some say it is a Kenwood which is better than what came along with the old version, will let you know when I see them..

do keep me posted if you get any leads.

Thanks again..
kanna.sridharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:40   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Verna OEM ICE upgrade

I have a 2007 Hyundai Verna with the stock Kenwood HU & was looking to upgrade. I am not on the happiest of budgets (20k-25k). So maybe I can stick with the stock HU and just upgrade the speakers. If an HU upgrade is absolutely necessary I can wait for a couple of months and change the HU as well.
P.S. What difference does changing the HU make?
thebfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 13:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebfg View Post
I have a 2007 Hyundai Verna with the stock Kenwood HU & was looking to upgrade. ...
As long as you are happy with the features and facilities given by the Kenwood HU, you need not upgrade. The only reason you may need to upgrade HU is if you are putting an amp & sub, and the HU has no or only 1 Pre-out.

With your 20-25K budget, if you are not changing the HU, you can get a lot:
* Components in front (6K)
* Coaxials in rear doors (2k)
* A 4 channel amp (6K+2K for cables)
* A decent sub in a sealed box (6-7K)
* If you don't want a sub, a very decent pair of 6x9 oval coaxials on the parcel shelf (6k) - instead of the coaxials in the rear doors
Old 24th January 2014, 14:31   #6
BHPian

Post Re: Hyundai Verna OEM ICE upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
As long as you are happy with the features and facilities given by the Kenwood HU, you need not upgrade.
======
If you don't want a sub, a very decent pair of 6x9 oval coaxials on the parcel shelf (6k) - instead of the coaxials in the rear doors
Thanks DerAlte, I will have to change the HU as it has only one preout and I will talk to the dealer about the components & speakers you have mentioned
Old 24th January 2014, 17:49   #7
BHPian

Since its a new car, if you touch the wiring, wont the warranty be void? Hyundai guys make a big fuss about it here!
razorBlades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 19:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
Since its a new car, if you touch the wiring, wont the warranty be void? Hyundai guys make a big fuss about it here!
There is a BIG difference between 'touching the wiring', and using the connectors provided in the car's harness for attaching valid equipment that it is meant to connect to. Yes, cutting & splicing wire harness will void your warranty, but installing ICE doesn't at all involve cutting and splicing. SHOULDN'T - except that inexperienced friendly neighborhood installers do not know how to connect anything without doing that. Get it done from an experienced installer who knows the why apart from how, and you should be fine.

It is not at all necessary that the dealer from whom the car is bought has experienced installers. That is the most basic assumption made in the context of warranty. And it is the Dealers who make a ruckus about 'warranty will be void' without knowing the real reason. Money at stake overrules logic in most people's mind - the dealers are no exception. Confront them with logic, and they will quietly back down.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2014, 12:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
Sorry for the late reply as I was busy with family matters. No it won't the warranty partly because it's not in warranty and partly because I have dropped plans. Going abroad now with my family. Thank you all for the suggestions I'll get back to the Verna for sure one day. But not today.
Old 27th January 2014, 10:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
There is a BIG difference between 'touching the wiring', and using the connectors provided in the car's harness for attaching valid equipment that it is meant to connect to.

That is the most basic assumption made in the context of warranty. And it is the Dealers who make a ruckus about 'warranty will be void' without knowing the real reason. Money at stake overrules logic in most people's mind - the dealers are no exception. Confront them with logic, and they will quietly back down.
Exactly! I completely agree with you. I changed my horns and headlamps and they made a big ruckus at the service center. I just told them that the headlamps and horn went kaput, and that i need replacement under warranty. Then they said there is no warranty on them. I asked back, when there is no warranty on them, what is the issue if I replace it without touching the wires? then they shut!

Also read this earlier.. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2840764 (Hyundai Verna fluidic 1.6 CRDI SX(O) -Diesel Rocket)

Well, common sense is very uncommon these days!
razorBlades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 07:50   #11
BHPian

Default Bass Box for Verna Fluidic with Stock HU

Hi Guys,

I have a 2 year old verna fluidic on which I recently upgraded to morimoto projectors(yet to post a review on them). Regarding the music, the bass punch was always lacking and rear speakers hardly have any power. So, I wanted to get a bass box installed in the boot which has been lying with me for 2-3 years from my old santro. The santro got fitted with cng which is why the bass box is sitting idle now. I tested it with my home music system and it still works fine. Its a "desi" bass box which you get in lajpat rai market in delhi. Basically a component speaker fitted on to a wooden box.

Now since the Verna has everything stock in regards to ICE, I did some research and was thinking about following options.

a. disconnect the rear speakers and run the connecting wire from both left and right rear door speakers to the boot to connect the bass box

b. latch on to the rear door speakers/connectors wire directly without disconnecting them and run a wire again to the boot

c. go for Scosche SLC4 Four-Channel Line Output Convertor which I read over here
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/233-rb...ock-radio.html

d. get an amp and connect rear speakers and bass box through that

Option c and d might require wire splicing(not sure) which I dont want to do due to warranty concerns as I have another year of extended warranty left. Please advise what to do or if there are any other options
mani_jeenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 12:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bass Box for Verna Fluidic with Stock HU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani_jeenu View Post
... Its a "desi" bass box which you get in lajpat rai market in delhi. Basically a component speaker fitted on to a wooden box. ...
How large is the "speaker"? It is unlikely to be a "component" speaker (which is a set of midbass speaker and a tweeter, with a crossover). Correct me if I am wrong, but it is more likely a 10" or 12" subwoofer.

Quote:
... I did some research and was thinking about following options. ...
* Option a/b will not be able to drive the subwoofer

* Option c+d is the way to go. The Line Output Converter is for bringing out the signal to feed an external amp, if the amp doesn't accept speaker-level inputs (some do)

If you anyway have to buy an amp, buy a Kenwood M846 or JBL X646 (you won't need to buy the LoC, since these accept high level inputs), or even a Pioneer or Sony 4 channel amplifier. This will cost <6K, plus a bit more for cables and wires. If you don't amplify the front channels at least, it will be very difficult to tune your system - you will only have 'bass punch' and not hear anything else well.

Connect the front speakers to the amp front channels (new speaker wires required), and bridge the rear channels to drive the sub. The rear speakers will stay on the HU.

Quote:
... Option c and d might require wire splicing(not sure) which I dont want to do due to warranty concerns as I have another year of extended warranty left. ...
* Warranty is not void if you are connecting an amp or speakers, since the connections (done by a knowledgeable person) have nothing to do with the rest of the electricals in the car

* The tap off for the LoC, or Kenwood or JBL amps, will be done at the harness adapter, and will not disturb the harness
Old 15th April 2014, 05:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
How large is the "speaker"? It is unlikely to be a "component" speaker (which is a set of midbass speaker and a tweeter, with a crossover). Correct me if I am wrong, but it is more likely a 10" or 12" subwoofer.

* Option a/b will not be able to drive the subwoofer

* Option c+d is the way to go. The Line Output Converter is for bringing out the signal to feed an external amp, if the amp doesn't accept speaker-level inputs (some do)

If you anyway have to buy an amp, buy a Kenwood M846 or JBL X646 (you won't need to buy the LoC, since these accept high level inputs), or even a Pioneer or Sony 4 channel amplifier. This will cost <6K, plus a bit more for cables and wires. If you don't amplify the front channels at least, it will be very difficult to tune your system - you will only have 'bass punch' and not hear anything else well.

Connect the front speakers to the amp front channels (new speaker wires required), and bridge the rear channels to drive the sub. The rear speakers will stay on the HU.

* Warranty is not void if you are connecting an amp or speakers, since the connections (done by a knowledgeable person) have nothing to do with the rest of the electricals in the car

* The tap off for the LoC, or Kenwood or JBL amps, will be done at the harness adapter, and will not disturb the harness
I visited Motor Koncepts in Rajouri Garden and discussed it with him in detail. He asked me to buy a LoC along with an AMP and then connect it with a proper bass tube which could cost upto 15k.

I am in no mood for spending that kind of money(maybe half) as I am casual listener and just needed some bass punch from the rear side. The front speakers are great in Verna but the rear side door ones are pathetic with only 25W RMS output.

I did some more research around my needs and came across this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ubes-help.html

So basically what I need is an Active Bass Tube that has an amp built into it. Then I believe I can run a wire directly to the rear speaker connections. I dont want to run a wire up to the head unit or install a LoC. Is this something that can be achievable ? I can disconnect the rear speakers or keep them both. I am ok with both options.

Also what brands are available which manufacture such bass tubes or enclosures. I found one from Blaupunkt(not a big fan of the brand)
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/blau...ers/1738294682

My friend had got this 8" tube installed for 3k from Worldtech and I was quite impressed with the output. Not sure how long it will last. Any model suggestions for an active bass tube/enclosure ?
Attached Images

Last edited by mani_jeenu : 15th April 2014 at 05:23.
mani_jeenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 11:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... He asked me to buy a LoC along with an AMP and then connect it with a proper bass tube which could cost upto 15k. ...
(that was for the cost he quoted)!!! He is not wrong - you *need* an external amp to drive the subwoofer, and in the absence of Pre-outs at the HU, you *have to* use an LoC to drive the amp.

Quote:
... I am in no mood for spending that kind of money(maybe half) as I am casual listener and ...
You haven't answered my question about the existing subwoofer.

Quote:
... just needed some bass punch from the rear side. ...
You can put 6x9 coaxials on the parcel shelf, and drive them from the HU. That is an immediate solution - will cost you ~3K plus a bit for installation & wires (JBL, Pioneer, etc.), and you can extend the wires from the rear doors to the parcel shelf (disconnect rear door speakers). Much more musical than boomy bass tubes, much louder than your OE rear door speakers (more sensitive).

Quote:
... The front speakers are great in Verna but the rear side door ones are pathetic with only 25W RMS output. ...
Forget the power numbers. Round coaxials in doors do not produce bass. Even your front OE speakers will not.

Quote:
... I did some more research around my needs and came across this thread. ... So basically what I need is an Active Bass Tube that has an amp built into it. Then I believe I can run a wire directly to the rear speaker connections. I dont want to run a wire up to the head unit or install a LoC. Is this something that can be achievable ? ...
To put it simply, DON'T. Use a subwoofer in a sealed box. Please don't use a Bass Tube, whether with a built-in amp or external. With your front speakers still on HU with limited power, a Bass Tube will only cause pandemonium in your car. Your music will sound as if you are sitting inside a 'dhol' - full 'jhol'! Better solution is what I had suggested: A Kenwood M846 or JBL X646, 2 channels driving the front speakers, 2 channels driving your existing subwoofer in box. No LoC required. Together it will cost 6K if your existing subwoofer is usable, or 10K if it is not (replace the Lajpatrai Market sub with a JBL sub in the same box).

Quote:
... My friend had got this 8" tube installed for 3k from Worldtech and I was quite impressed with the output. ...
I have listened to it, and I'd rather not comment as you may be offended. Please do listen to decent installations in other TBHP members cars, even the ones done with a very low budget. You will be surprised at the difference.
Old 15th April 2014, 15:50   #15
BHPian

If cost is a concern, may be a 2 channel kenwood/blaupunkt (Cost around 3K) amp with JBL 1215B (Cost around 3.8K) will do the job if bass is your only priority as of now.
sudeep.pandya is offline   Reply With Quote