Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 14th May 2010, 18:14   #1
BHPian

Default Need ICE Upgrade advice for Ford Fiesta.

Hi All,

Back to the ICE forum after 3 yrs., but now for the upgrade advice.

As i am getting older(turned 30 in Jan.) i feel it's time for an amp and a sub.
It is to complete the system.

Current Setup:
HU: Pioneer 7950UB
Front: JBL 607c Comps.
Rear: JBL 937 coaxials
Steering remote
Front Doors were damped with dynamat like material, but now torn in many places(Accident repairs,power window motor change).

Install was done at Driven in delhi in 2007.

I am happy with the setup, there is some jarring in the rear speaker but its fine for my listening volume (32..hits the sweet spot).

I listen to all type of music. mostly slow ones but like to play some fast songs once in a while. slow/fast - 70:30 ratio.

I need advice on the following:
1.Amplifier: brand and price (I prefer JBL)
2.Sub-Woofer with its own enclosure is preferred: brand and price
3.woofer enclosure,Wiring & damping(only front doors).

I would prefer front comps and sub to be driven off the amp(you know the usual stuff).

Budget: Around 15k..STRICTLY...well...maybe..some more..please guys, i am a poor naukri-majdoori wala aam aadmi, so have mercy.

the sub should complement the setup rather than overpower it, tight rather than loud. SQ at a budget is priority. I don't intend to play it very loud(maybe sometimes but when i do, it should make me happy).

Is this request worthy enough to answered by the titans
Sam, Navin, Panky, Nitrous, LBM and rest of the members.

I would like to get it done on sunday at driven in delhi, before my better half is back.

thanks

I am sorry if I've asked a very common question but this is only because that i can get info on the latest products as my audio hardware knowledge was last updated in my younger days, 3 yrs. back (the 75.4, pio 7950, 607c era).
ZeRoŠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 14:44   #2
BHPian

I keep refreshing and it still shows 0 replies, maybe i am impatient.

Well went through many threads (actually last 5) and found a few..

SUB: JBL GT5 s12
JBL 1204BR(expensive but comes with enclosure but i guess it needs a pretty powerful amp
Any Bull,GZ suggestions

AMP: JBL 1004 (again expensive but i can go for it)
JBL GT5 s644 (i read upgrade of a604)
JBL A604
Any GZ,kenwood,
what about ID, FK..are they expensive

scosche wiring and RCA.

how does JBL GT5 s12 with JBL GT5 s644 and scosche wiring sound?
or maybe JBL 1204BR with JBL 1004 and scosche wiring

kindly suggest me a complete solution.

Also i read that you hear what you want to buy, but do the sellers entertain such requests, you know the entire setup.
Old 15th May 2010, 15:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Amp: JBL GTO 1004
Sub: JBL GTO 1214
or JBL GT5-S12
1 cu.ft. Sealed enclosure (0.75" thick mdf)
Wiring: Strongly recommend the genuine JBL wiring kit (10mm.sq.)
or the Ground Zero 8ga wiring kit (10mm.sq)
Scosche 8ga as well as Connection Audison 8ga = 6.5mm (bad)

The JBL 1004 is a 600 RMS amplifier and anything lesser than 10mm.sq. is not good.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 15:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRoŠ View Post
Well i would keep this option as 1004 is a powerful amp so it will fit in your requirment. Also if you upgrade (which we know you will) then it will make more sense as it draws 100rms per chl.
ID's are expensve but you can look into their entry level sub, i think its CTX sub's. They come for around 8-9K in delhi from Driven itself. Also i would suggest that you tey and listen to Bull sun too when you go to Driven. I am sure Rana will let you audition it, if not then do let me know ans i will talk to him, but i am sure he will.
As always try to listen all the options before you buy anything.
By the way if you are going to Driven tomorow then i might be there too. I too have a Fiesta
nitinralli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 17:48   #5
BHPian

thanks guys for your replies

@nitrous

I can go for the setup you advised, I'll settle for JBL 1004,
SUB: GTO1214 i guess(i'll also checkout Bull and GZ before finalizing),
wiring by JBL or GZ, whichever is less costly.
you did'nt mention about RCA , also would i need any crossover or its built in the AMP?

@nitinralli
It would be great if Rana lets me listen to diff. setup before the purchase, that would help me a lot.
I'll try my best to be there tomm. if not for installation then at least to check out the setups, but i am dead sure the install will happen at driven.
also I'll check around Gurgaon to get an idea about the prices.
BTW I have a black fiesta with HR registration.
Old 15th May 2010, 18:15   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
SUB: JBL GT5 s12
AMP: JBL 1004
Have you heard the GT5 in a good sealed box and compared it to the 1204BR? Also keep in mind the 1204 BR is much more costly.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 01:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Get a sub and build the right size of enclosure powered by a 4 channel amp with front channel running the comps and the rear running the sub.
Picking a sub is not an issue but its the well constructed enclosure and it's size that will matter more. Smaller sealed sub enclosure will not have enough low end while the sub in it's optimum size will give out much smoother response and going low will not be an issue.
Bull audio/ JBL 1214 / Infinity reference sub will be good pick. I would suggest you look at the Infinity or bull audio. Infinity could get little louder too due to it's higher sensitivity. Both produces smoother response in 1.25 cu.ft sealed enclosure.

Last edited by Invinsible : 16th May 2010 at 01:58.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 15:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you're on a strict budget of ~15K.. then you need to forget driven and ID along with some other stuff mentioned here.

If i were you..I'd done this.

1. Retain all the equipment (I'm sure you're doing this)

2. Get a JBL 1004, price app ~ 10K delhi Grey (Ashoka Car, Karol Bagh)

3. Get a JBL GTO sub in a ported enclosure ~ 4K (2.5K (again Ashoka) + 1.5K (Custom made as per specs - Do some more research.)

4. Damping (Noisekill @ 120/- psqft) for front doors.

5. Finolex 4 gauge for Power and Ground (Wiring). ~ dont remember the price.. but would be WAY cheaper than kits.

6. Change the RCA to a better one (If not already done).
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2010, 18:43   #9
BHPian

thanks Navin, Invinsible and panky12345 for your replies.

@panky12345
I am retaining all the stuff, did quite a few inquiries about 1004e even at ashoka, the young guy in specs told me they don't deal in JBL, only sony and pio. and was a bit rude or maybe he was busy.

the price of 1004e with B&W at delhi\gurgaon is ranging from 12.5 to 13.5, JBL distributors are fixed at 14990/-.
so i was a bit confused about the price.
GTO1214 is no more available, they have 1215 now, i guess it should be same thing....maybe Sam can help.

I went to a few shops at karolbagh yesterday including ashoka,
there was this shop Janx car world, he had quite a few brands and but told me go for s644(which he had in stock) and s12 woofer i guess..
he had the same setup in his car.
I asked for an audition and got one. well what do i say..it was bad..the system was tuned for heavy bass and nothing else..it was overpowering everything, could not hear anything except the jarring and dhoom dhoom of woofer. but atleast he got his car specially for me to listen to his setup.
I know most karolbagh setups are bling bling type, even saw a cool black fortuner ruined with cheap chorme in all the places, door handles, fuel tank cover..
I should have known what to expect.

At all places shopkeepers want to push you the product they have in stock(that is understandable), trashtalk the other dealer (as in the case of a dealer in gurgaon when i told him about DRIVEN), saying they only keep duplicates and so on.
without having any idea about the sound stage, they get offended easily, once you start testing their knowledge or you ask them any specific setup or product. either they'll say the product which they have is superior, or it is a very old model and is discontinued.
I listen to them, take their cards and get out of the shop.wondering how long is this drill gonna be. I cannot come to delhi everyday.

enough ranting.

What i am looking for is clean, tight bass at 15 to 50% volume max to complete my system and lets me listen to vocals and other instruments too.

I can stretch the budget to around 20-22.

1004e is confirmed for me.
Wiring I'll go for GZ or JBL original, as advised by nitrous.(how much diff. a good wiring makes? a laymen question)

For sub i'll try to listen to JBL GT5 s12 with a good enclosure as advised by Navin(now how do i know about a good enclosure)

maybe I'll get to know the best setup for me once i hear it (cheap or expensive)

today i was listening to a few songs on my creative ep630 in-ear phones and thought is it possible to get same clean sound in a car? without spending a fortune.
It was fabulous..crisp vocals being the center part and other instruments and bass complementing them. so smooth.
maybe i can use the use the phones with my ipod in the car - sasta, sundar,tikau

no system would give me that level of clarity at my price level.

jokes apart..guys pls help me out on this.
Amp and wiring is fixed, help me on the sub part and also on the price front for all the equipment.

thanks
Old 17th May 2010, 19:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroC
GTO1214 is no more available, they have 1215 now, i guess it should be same thing....maybe Sam can help.
Those cheats!
1215 is the entry level sub from JBL's CS series.
The 1214 is a GTO which is mid-level series.

I recommend the JBL wiring because it also comes with a very good, very thick speaker cable that you should use for the subwoofer.
JBL GTO 1004 is sourceable @ ~10k.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 19:23   #11
BHPian

Hi all,

Right now I am at Driven, getting the system installed.
Will post setup specs and pics later,
Amp 1004, wiring bull audio 10mm and scosche RCA.
Will decide sub after listening to JBL,ID and Bull.
Old 19th May 2010, 20:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

How much is the scosche RCA for?
About the sub, if you can then go for ID anyday.
nitinralli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 09:37   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

hi

It was nice meeting you there. I hope u had a nice exp there. sorry i had to rush on fast somewhere therefore couldnt give u company. How about the complete install n how is it sounding..
Piyush_Vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 12:17   #14
BHPian

Default ICE..upgraded..

@Piyush_Vroom
Same here. It was great to meet a fellow Bhpian.

@nitinralli
the scosche RCA were 450/-

The setup was done and the result is quite good.

The upgrade equipment

JBL Amp 1004e
Sub - ID CTX 12"
Sub Enclosure
Bull Audio Kit
Scosche RCA
Front doors damping

will post the pics and prices in a day or two.

the front comps have come alive after attaching the amp, there is a very noticeable change in vocals and bass.
the woofer can go quite low, best part is that bass gels really well with entire setup.
I feel I have a setup that totally suits my taste(though not my pocket).

The Driven Installers (Mukesh and his helper Balam) were totally dedicated and did a fabolous job working on such a hot day. I really thank those guys.

there are a few things left, there is a whining/whistling sound when i accelerate its quite irritating, could be an grounding issue,
also the rear tray makes noise when the music is at high volume or when there is deep bass, will get MDF on rear speakers too on saturday.
Also i have to get a sub grill and get the system tuned by Gunbir Paaji if possible, as the sound is a bit bright.

A Big thanks to all the fellow Team-Bhpian's for your advice and suggestions.
Old 17th February 2014, 08:40   #15
BHPian

Default Re: Need ICE Upgrade advice for Ford Fiesta.

I am looking to give my Fiesta 1.6 SXI a mid-life upgrade (approx 50k now) through new seats and ICE. My requirements from ICE are Bluetooth, support for USB, rear view camera integrated, better speakers, head-rest mounted screens for DVD playing. I am also looking for good quality leather seats with good side bolstering, any pointers in Hyderabad or online?
jha.shailesh is offline   Reply With Quote