Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 21st May 2010, 06:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Components (~100W) and Subs (400W - 600W) - List with pricing (USD) -

What do you do when you are looking at upgrading your ICE, but are clueless at the choices available?

What do you do when every suggestion confuses you further, instead of helping out with your choice?

What do you if are pure lost in the blissful sea of choices out there?

... that is where I exactly. So here is what I did - I drew up a list. No, not a Bucket List.

A list of stuff that has the performance I am expecting, and at a price point I can buy. And I spent a good 3 hours straight on searching, finding specs, searching for prices, etc

Here is how I chose this list:
For components - at least 100W RMS, and less than $300.
For Subs - 400 W to 600 W RMS, less than $300.

All prices are picked up from Google's product search, and have free shipping.

Note: You may be able to find a better deal if you search further.

I have highlighted the choice that seems to be the winner for me - in terms of price AND the numbers. I am no guru in the numbers, I have only my ears to judge - but alas! We cannot listen to all these stuff before we make our choice... So what I am saying is that the highlight may mean nothing to you, worse still, would be further off from your requirement!

Lastly, if you have the patience to go through this and drop your word, I'd be grateful!
Attached Files
File Type: xls Tear-hair.xls (28.5 KB, 437 views)
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 11:42   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
What do you do when you are looking at upgrading your ICE, but are clueless at the choices available?

And I spent a good 3 hours straight on searching, finding specs, searching for prices, etc

Here is how I chose this list:
For components - at least 100W RMS, and less than $300.
For Subs - 400 W to 600 W RMS, less than $300.
You cannot choose audio equipment by reading their specs. It is like choosing a camera by listening to it's shutter.

Audio equipment needs to be heard.

That said the specs you have listed have (a) no bering on the SQ of the equipment and (b) are woefully incomplete and inadequate to arrive at any conclusion.

Sorry.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 15:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Navin. Any pointers on what else should I look at/ include in such a sheet (and post an updated sheet)? Even a link would help. No wonder it is incomplete and inadequate - I only have my ears, got no clue on the technicalities.

The point of this xls is, like I said, to at least have a few brands shortlisted in mind from the tons available out there to listen to before making a buying decision.
Old 21st May 2010, 17:35   #4
Team-BHP Support

let's understand the data for example frequency response. frequency response of a speaker at 90db is very different from it's response at 100db and depends on the box or baffle the speaker was on when the measurements were taken.

Your data does not even indicate how ragged that response is; now given you had a response curve plot - if the the plotter that measured the speaker was moving at 1m/s you will get a smoother curve than if the plotter was moving at 0.1m/s so you would need to know what the plotter's pen speed was. So as you can see any data has to also be qualifed by the definitions of the parameters used, equipment used, and other measuring criteria etc....

Now all this is assuming anechoic chamber, 20 deg C, and other nominal assumptions.

Last edited by navin : 21st May 2010 at 17:37.
Old 21st May 2010, 19:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ok, you caught me

I am not testing the speakers myself, nor am I quoting from tests made by a neutral agency. The numbers are from the manufacturer's website / product documentation. The details of surroundings, the music played, the enclosure, how it is captured, etc are mostly not documented (true, I did not check each one of the hoards of models' documentation...).

So with what is readily available from the manufacturer, how does someone decide what is the best audio equipment that he / she can buy - within the budget available - when listening to all the available choices is not possible?
Old 21st May 2010, 23:14   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
when listening to all the available choices is not possible?
well if this is not possible I prefer to atleast depend of the reputation of the manufacturer. Today almost all speakers are made in China (along with almost all laptops, ipods, and most everything electronic) but the speakers are designed in US, Europe, etc...
Old 25th May 2010, 11:29   #7

IMHO, Beauty of the sound lies in the ears of the beholder.For some Brand A is excellent while for some Brand B is awesome.
Not all people can read the specs and decide whether that equipment is great or not.
There is always an element of subjectivity in this and it varies from person to person.
For my new car, I went through almost all the threads here first just to list the available brands with their ball park prices.then i zeroed in on some brands which would suite my expectations in all the ways.only then the question of auditions come in.It has to be a lengthy process and one has to be patient if he has to get it right.
aravind2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 18:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Agree with you, Arvind. Music is a more of a subjective choice. I attempted to create a "shortlist" of choices for people looking at buying stuff from the US, to see what falls in their budget and what to listen to (you cannot listen to all the 100 brands, can ya?!!).

As you can see, the polk seems the better speaker option on paper - but I know it is not because I like my music warm and polk is a bright component

Btw, welcome aboard - and hope to see you on a meet soon!